parallel port interfacing

For issues with communication ports, protocols, etc.
spide

parallel port interfacing

Postby spide » Mar 10, 2007 14:15

can i use freebasic to access the parallel port in window XP?coz i remember when i used masm compiler i can only used in window 98 platform but not XP.if is possible, are there anyway i write dll to be used visual basic
devil_121

Freebasic is best of all

Postby devil_121 » Mar 26, 2007 4:03

My friend I think Free basic is the best platform for all, however If you don't like it you can still use "KBasic". It is a powerful programming language for Linux, Mac OS X and Windows, which is simply intuitive and easy to learn. It is a new programming language, a further basic dialect and is related to Visual Basic 6 and Java. It comes with built-in backward support for VB6 and QBasic as it is 100% Syntax compatible to VB6. but If i was in your place then I will rather like to stay with Freebasic

------------------------
color printing
voodooattack

Postby voodooattack » Mar 26, 2007 7:34

* wonders how that bot got through spam checks *

about the parallel port access, you can check the wiki:
http://www.freebasic.net/wiki/wikka.php ... yPgOpenLpt

MASM is an assmebler, not a compiler, so naturally.. what it compiles is more system-dependent...

however, FreeBASIC is a cross-platform compiler, so, no matter what you're going to do with the LPT port, everything should work the same way on every platform you compile your application on...

so as long as you stick to the language's built-in keywords (no API calls, etc), and take some stuff into consideration (things like path separators, etc). your app will not only work on all windows versions, but perhaps linux and DOS too.. :)
MichaelW

Re: parallel port interfacing

Postby MichaelW » Mar 26, 2007 8:19

spide wrote:can i use freebasic to access the parallel port in window XP?coz i remember when i used masm compiler i can only used in window 98 platform but not XP.if is possible, are there anyway i write dll to be used visual basic

I assume you mean access the parallel port hardware through I/O ports. Under Windows 9x a DOS application could freely access most of the I/O ports, but a normal ring3 Windows application was very limited. Under Windows NT/2000/XP a DOS application can freely access only the I/O ports that the system is not using, and a normal ring3 Windows application cannot (directly) access any I/O ports. FB can install a driver that can provide access to the I/O ports, but you may be very limited in what you can do with an I/O port that Windows is using.

Return to “Hardware Interfaces / Communication”