gfxlib and LGPL

New to FreeBASIC? Post your questions here.
Landeel

gfxlib and LGPL

Postby Landeel » Feb 01, 2007 18:01

Let me see if I got this straight.

If my program uses gfxlib (statically linked), to comply with LGPL I have to either:
1) make it open source
or
2) release the object files, so it can be linked with another version of the gfxlib.

Right?
VonGodric

Postby VonGodric » Feb 02, 2007 9:38

lgpl removes need for that. you can link both statically and dynamically and you don't need to provide source nor object files.

you can even use it for commercial.

fix me if I am wrong...
v1ctor
Site Admin

Postby v1ctor » Feb 02, 2007 13:10

Actually no, statically linking to an LGPL object file forces your application to be under LGPL too. The same happens with GPL, the difference is that with the latter, even using shared libraries will do that - unless they are dual-licensed ala in MySQL-client, Qt, etc.

Unless Angelo (and only him can change that because he holds the copyright) add the same exception as the FB runtime library has, any closed-source app/game using the gfxlib must have its sources released if someone ask for them. You can sell and do anything with your app/game, but the sources must be open.
Landeel

Postby Landeel » Feb 02, 2007 13:46

As I understand, providing the object files is enough:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Lesser_General_Public_License
"... Alternatively, a statically linked library is allowed if either source code or linkable object files are provided. ..."

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html
"... If you link other code with the library, you must provide complete object files to the recipients, so that they can relink them with the library after making changes to the library and recompiling it. ..."

Not that I have anything against open source. In fact, I want to release my code under GPL. I just want to know.

Return to “Beginners”