A project I've been busy with.

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
MystikShadows

A project I've been busy with.

Postby MystikShadows » Jun 03, 2006 11:44

Hi all,

In the past month or so (6 weeks) I've been busy working on a project, today I think there's enough to talk about it Smile.

I present you the FreeBASIC Elite I.D.E.
http://www.ascii-world.com/fbelite.html

Read all about it. Awaiting Comments and such Smile.
Pritchard

Postby Pritchard » Jun 03, 2006 12:04

Heheh! I knew you were going to post here eventu'al!
MystikShadows

Postby MystikShadows » Jun 03, 2006 12:08

hehe..internet was flaky...electricity was flaky here...after a few, I got tired of fighting with it to go anywhere...today, bad storms, but so far, atleast, it's not flakey ;-)...
D.J.Peters

Postby D.J.Peters » Jun 03, 2006 18:15

Looks great but why do you use pascal and not FreeBASIC?

Joshy
MystikShadows

Postby MystikShadows » Jun 03, 2006 18:46

Thanks Joshy, :-)

1. Well, one of the main reason is the lack of a PCOPY command in text mode. I can't use graphics mode because then I loose my cursor. I could program one but why? ;-). Chaos started an AWESOME con lib (Iwas having problems with vongodric's code or was it dumbledore?) right now, that library works great but only on windows. When that changes, we'll see.

2. Once codebase will compile on linux, DOS and Windows Console with no changes (cept for one part which acesses drives and folders for file operations and that will simply be some simple OS specific code.

3. I'm atleast as proficient in freepascal than I am in any basic so picking freepascal wasn't very difficult to do for me. :-).
D.J.Peters

Postby D.J.Peters » Jun 03, 2006 19:08

Hello MystikShadows i'm again :lol:
How do you will implement the "step by step debug" interface via an socket connection to GDB as an server or how?

Joshy
MystikShadows

Postby MystikShadows » Jun 03, 2006 19:11

I'll try it that way...well maybe not socket but we'll see...I'm also doing an interpreter so i might see about using that...why do we use immediate mode simple things so we'll see..

but the first thing would be to use gdb and see how it goes.
maddogg6

Postby maddogg6 » Jun 03, 2006 19:48

MystikShadows wrote:I'll try it that way...well maybe not socket but we'll see...I'm also doing an interpreter so i might see about using that...why do we use immediate mode simple things so we'll see..

but the first thing would be to use gdb and see how it goes.

Very impressive Mystik... but I have to wonder about the interpreter part - wouldn't that start compatibilty issues later, or at least the need to update the interpreter with each release of FB??

Or will the interpreter use any version of fbc.exe or something??

Did that make sense?

The stepping through code is something that would help me learn (I think??)
but didnt think it was possible. So I'm confused.
MystikShadows

Postby MystikShadows » Jun 03, 2006 19:54

depends how you do the interpreter ;-)...but yes, it would mean it would have to change when new elements are added to the language...then again, so does the compiler code ;-) well runtime anyways hehe.
voodooattack

Postby voodooattack » Jun 03, 2006 20:11

good work!!! :)
about debugging, how about using libgdb??

http://mirror.mirimar.net/freepascal/co ... 1/?C=M;O=A

^^ there's a win32 version there btw.. :D
MystikShadows

FB Elite gets an Internal plastic surgery?

Postby MystikShadows » Jun 23, 2006 13:41

Yes, it's possible, with the right tools.

That tool is con_lib from chaos (posted elsewhere in this forum) with some help from DrV. FB Elite is being rewritten in FB (this was my first choice until the issue with the Cursor and Graphics mode and pcopy.

So I'd like to tell chaOs and DrV a big thank you. And well whoever likes the project, maybe it will make you happier to know that it's now an FB project ;-) within a week everything should be ported since alot of the code already exists in other projects I've done. and well after that I can go about the rest of the project.

I can't tell chaos and now DrV (but he knows already from all FBDOS itself hehe) how much I appreciate their efforts making con_lib multiplatform a possibility (I'd like a linux user to try it out but for me to see if and how it works in linux), it works in Windows and in DOS for me, which is great.

So everything is great. screenshots are the same, nothing with change ;-). That's why I put "FB Elite Gets an internal plastic surgery" in the title of this post hehe.

MystikShadows.
axipher

Postby axipher » Jun 23, 2006 14:45

Hey Mystik, great job! It brings back memories, one thing I ddin't read was QB's ability to "finish code for you".

Like if you went:

Code: Select all

?"hi
OR

print"hi
It would automatically change it to:

PRINT "hi"

Will you add that feature?
MystikShadows

Postby MystikShadows » Jun 23, 2006 14:50

yup...it's already in the plans...to me, it's one of the greatest features QB and VB-DOS had in it's arsenal so it's definitaly going in here :-).

Along with other very QB IDE related features ;-). some IDE related (not language related) features taken from the VB for windows IDE (like right clicking a keyword will allow you to choose to go to it's definition directly etc etc...but basically, what you're used to doing in WB you'll be able to do, IDE wise, in FB Elite.
Deleter

Postby Deleter » Jun 23, 2006 15:15

hmm...what about some stuff it didn't do. such as if I am writing a call to a function where some ide's tell you like "var1 as integer" so you know what it was you were passing? That is always a cool feature to have the option to use.
MystikShadows

Postby MystikShadows » Jun 23, 2006 16:04

definitaly,

Auto Completion is in the list yes. :-) and not that hard to do really...

Return to “Projects”