problems with cutting-edge toolchains

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
srvaldez

problems with cutting-edge toolchains

Post by srvaldez »

I like to test the latest toolchains together with the latest work in progress FB, I do most of my tests in 64-bit but today I wanted to see the performance difference between 32 and 64-bit only to find that my program would crash with the error 0xC0000005
the test program uses 4 strings 10100 in size and at first it seemed that if I cut the size in half that it would cure the problem but it still crashed after a successful run
yesterday one of my VMware MX-linux VM would freeze after very sluggish keyboard response in the terminal not to mention that launching the VM would take a very long time, what has this to do with my FB program crashing you may ask, well if you search for error 0xC0000005 you will get suggestions of a number of different things that could cause the error, among them bad memory or a corrupt system file
so I ran the Windows memory diagnostic program which took nearly 4 hours to complete and it reported no memory errors, so I restored Windows from a month old backup but my FB program still crashes, then I tried with gcc-9.3 and it doesn't crash, I haven't tried the latest WIP FB with gcc-9.3 but will do so soon
btw, the Windows restore fixed my VM problems