plain html-render (replacement for embedded IE)

General FreeBASIC programming questions.
Iczer

plain html-render (replacement for embedded IE)

Post by Iczer »

Is there a something like HTML-render that can be used in windows-GUI as replacement for embedded IE control?
Ideally - I write html,images into control and receive info on clicks (if any). No self activity, no following links and no hdd-access.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Re: plain html-render (replacement for embedded IE)

Post by coderJeff »

For windows:

There is examples/win32/COM/WebBrowser that I have used in the past. It's kind of out of date so may need some work depending on what you are trying to do. I will make a couple of fixes so it at least compiles.

For something more complete as part of a framework maybe CW_CWebCtx_WebBrowser from José Roca

Maybe you can customize to your needs - disable following links, etc.
adeyblue

Re: plain html-render (replacement for embedded IE)

Post by adeyblue »

Both of those are the embedded IE control.

You can bump up the IE control to be only nine years out of date rather than 14, If you have the
<meta name="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge">
tag at the top of your pages. That makes it emulate IE11 instead of IE8. And whle nobody's claiming it's good, IE11 supported a lot of HTML5 in some fashion so if you're not doing cutting edge CSS or javascript things, it should be viable.

Otherwise there are full embedded browser replacements like WebView2 (embedded MS Edge) and Chrome Embedded Framework. I've only used them from C# where they're pretty easy to use, although I expect the C# wrappers hide a lot of un-fun fiddly stuff that you'd have to do yourself when using them raw.

One downside is that the common Chrome embedded download/install won't play MP3/MP4 media though, so if you need that you have to build it yourself, and that. is. a. nightmare. that I gave up on