Linux Screen Resolution

Linux specific questions.
Dinosaur

Linux Screen Resolution

Post by Dinosaur »

Hi All

Struggling with this.
I have a 7" monitor that can be set on various resolutions.
The intention is to use it to monitor my Rpi Battery charger/monitor.
I don't need a graphic display but need large enough characters so that it is easily readable.
I want it to use the entire monitor's area.
In the early QB days you could specify CGA and the letters were blocky but quite large and the whole screen area was used.

Whatever I do, I end up with a terminal screen that is much smaller than the actual screen.
I have tried various FB Screen commands, for example "Screen 16"
This makes a window half the size of the monitor but is a graphic Screen 16.
Screen 0 is a terminal screen but again not using the entire screen.
Have tried booting to Terminal and then setting the "Screen 16" but again it only uses part of the monitor.
What am I missing ??

Regards
David Watson

Re: Linux Screen Resolution

Post by David Watson »

Try typing

Code: Select all

xrandr
into the terminal to see what graphics modes are supported, then using

Code: Select all

screenres x, y
to set the screen to one of the supported resolutions.
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

Hi All

David thanks for your response.
Been there and done that. All it does is create a small cli window that can't be expanded.

I can set Xterm to the resolution and fullscreen that I want, BUT as soon as I type my program name in that window, it creates another cli window
that is about 1/3 of the full screen.
My program has no graphic statements, only Locate x,y and print

When I put Screenres 640,480,8 it again makes a small window but what looks like it could be 640x480, but just not full screen.

Regards
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

hello Dinosaur
I would try this, once your program opens the terminal, see if there's a menu in the terminal for settings, maybe right-click on title bar
it can be a bit tricky to set the window dimensions and font size etc. and having those settings to be the default, but once that's done the terminal should use those settings
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

Hi All

srvaldez that was the key.
I had to set the preferences for the cli to 80x25 and by adjusting the font to 20 managed to get the full display.
Initially I thought the GUI resolution was the key, but it as simple as setting the preferences.

Many thanks guys.

Regards
Gregorygall

Post by Gregorygall »

Dinosaur wrote: Apr 02, 2023 7:15 Hi All

Struggling with this.
I have a 7" monitor that can be set on various resolutions.
The intention is to use it to monitor my Rpi Battery charger/monitor.
I don't need a graphic display but need large enough characters so that it is easily readable.
I want it to use the entire monitor's area.
In the early QB days you could specify CGA and the letters were blocky but quite large and the whole screen area was used.

Whatever I do, I end up with a terminal screen that is much smaller than the actual screen.
I have tried various FB Screen commands, for example "Screen 16"
This makes a window half the size of the monitor but is a graphic Screen 16.
Screen 0 is a terminal screen but again not using the entire screen.
Have tried booting to Terminal and then setting the "Screen 16" but again it only uses part of the monitor.
What am I missing ??

Regards
You're trying to use a 7" monitor to display large characters for monitoring your Rpi Battery charger/monitor, but you're having trouble getting the characters to fill the entire screen. You've tried various FB Screen commands, including "Screen 16," but these have only resulted in windows that are smaller than the full screen. You're wondering what you're missing.

It sounds like you're running into issues with the terminal emulator you're using on the Raspberry Pi. Most terminal emulators default to a fixed size that may not fill the entire screen, especially on smaller monitors. However, you should be able to adjust the size of the terminal emulator to fit the entire screen.

One way to do this is to use the fbset command to set the resolution of the frame buffer to match the native resolution of your monitor. For example, if your monitor has a resolution of 800x480, you could use the following command:
sudo fbset -g 800 480 800 480 16
This sets the frame buffer to a resolution of 800x480 with a color depth of 16 bits per pixel. You may need to adjust the resolution and color depth to match the capabilities of your monitor.

Once you've set the frame buffer resolution, you should be able to start your terminal emulator and have it fill the entire screen. You may also need to adjust the font size and terminal settings to ensure that the characters are large enough to be easily readable on your monitor.

If you're still having trouble, you may want to try a different terminal emulator or look for additional resources specific to your monitor and Raspberry Pi setup.
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

Hi All

Thank you for the suggestions, I will try this weekend.

Regards
caseih

Post by caseih »

Just FYI, @GregoryGall appears to be some sort of ChatGPT-powered bot. His two posts to the forum have been non-specific and certainly unrelated to FB. Just barely close enough to topic to sound plausible until you give it a good read and find out he's saying nothing relevant to your questions. Most likely the bot will come back and edit the posts later to add in links to spam Google.

A brave new world has opened up with AI. Sigh.
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

Hi All

caseih I noticed when the reply first came in, there was no link , but then the next day a link appeared that took me to a USA Health service site.
The next day the link was gone (moderators removed it ?)

The content was already suspicious when it repeated my statements.
But sometimes someone from a totally different background presents their info totally different then what we are used to,
so gave "it" the benefit of the doubt.

Thank you for confirming this.

Regards
fxm

Post by fxm »

Indeed, I have a doubt about the human origin of such texts by this author (Gregorygall), which are never reprehensible or irrelevant but always remain general and without directly applicable details.
SARG

Post by SARG »

Same feeling. So old people are not so easy to deceive. :D
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

caseih
Do we call bots or phantom oracles "he", it this the recognised thing to do now?
"His two posts"
Gregory's Girl is an old Scottish film, when I saw GregoryGall I was reminded of it of it (I didn't really like the movie anyway).
The answers are very plausible, but I have avoided any communication with ChatGPT so far, so I didn't recognize the output format, and I don't have Raspberry pi or Linux at this moment in time.
So to myself, it was all water off a duck's back anyway.
marcov

Post by marcov »

A common forum bot creates user names with camel cased first names and random suffixes (not names per se).

Like all attempts at AI they are recognizable that they don't really answer the question, and/or lack details. Some parts look like copy and past. Chatgpt is a next level in the sense that it is more fluent and better integrated, but it is not really difficult to recognize.

In the .NET case it was simply 100% wrong, though I was already halfway a reply before I realized it was probably a bot. I decided to post with the Chatgpt-y remark at the end to see if somebody reacted (could a real bot, or chatgpt used as a tool by non native speaker spammer), and to counter just the disinformation.

I also reported the post to the moderators, which is what the best thing to do if you suspect something.

So I was fooled for a short while, and that even after already having encountered one on the lazarus forum a few days earlier. This bot had much more elaborate answers than the Lazarus one though.
Dinosaur

Post by Dinosaur »

Hi All

So, at what point does the consensus of opinion agree "it" is a bot and gets banned from the forum.?

Regards
caseih

Post by caseih »

dodicat wrote: Apr 07, 2023 9:02 caseih
Do we call bots or phantom oracles "he", it this the recognised thing to do now?
"His two posts"
The current, politically-correct thing is to use the neuter plural pronoun "they." But that always sounds weird to me, so I just default to "him" until proven otherwise. Clearly sexist. But then if I defaulted to a feminine pronoun, I'm sure PC types would jump on me for assuming women are spammers. If there was an argument, it's one that can't be won! :)