VM For FreeBasic as Target?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
mrminecrafttnt

VM For FreeBasic as Target?

Post by mrminecrafttnt »

My Idea is to add an VM to the Freebasic Compiler as target so that the apllication(binary file) runs everywhere, its simply needed to translate the vm/emulator to the platform.
Is that a good idea? :)
angros47

Re: VM For FreeBasic as Target?

Post by angros47 »

One of the current targets available is the Emscripten VM, another is LLVM. Which I there virtual machine would you like to add?
mrminecrafttnt

Post by mrminecrafttnt »

Hmm.. i think Python Bytecode can be the future :D
marcov

Post by marcov »

mrminecrafttnt wrote: Mar 21, 2023 8:19 Hmm.. i think Python Bytecode can be the future :D
Keep in mind that there is pointer use in FB. It might be wise to do a feasibility check first (and see how the other VMs handle it).

Just to avoid that you put in a lot of work into something that works, but can only be used for new, specially crafted code.
caseih

Post by caseih »

Are you posting this to inform us you are have started work on this project, @mrminecrafttnt?
angros47

Post by angros47 »

mrminecrafttnt wrote: Mar 21, 2023 8:19 Hmm.. i think Python Bytecode can be the future :D

Sounds like the worst possible choice: it is one of the slowest virtual machines (Java, JavaScript or Lua are much faster), it doesn't use the just in time compiling, and it doesn't come by default with most systems, so you'd have to install it manually
adeyblue

Post by adeyblue »

Without considering any of the practicalities I keep thinking a .Net IL generator would be a fun project. Then I do think of those things like how would you work with its exceptions, assembly statements, what to do with strings, etc and I go back to just thinking it would be fun rather than finding out it wouldn't.