Creative coding in FreeBASIC

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Velatus

Creative coding in FreeBASIC

Post by Velatus »

Hi everyone.

I've been doing creative coding (/ generative art / math-ish art / whatever you want to call it, really) in FreeBASIC for some time, now, and I just wanted to share my work with you guys (See https://www.instagram.com/guillaume.rangheard.art/), and maybe start a conversation about it and the underlying code ?

V.
Lothar Schirm

Re: Creative coding in FreeBASIC

Post by Lothar Schirm »

Hi Velatus,
very nice pictures! Could you please post some of your codes here? I think this would help you to get more answers and questions from the FB community. Perhaps people can learn from you when they can study your code.
Velatus

Post by Velatus »

Hi Lothar,

And thank you.
I confess my post was a bit rushed. As for the code, I'm currently putting together a repo on GitHub (which I'll post a link to soon), with a couple of libraries that hopefully the community might find useful. That is a math library (mostly vector-related sutff), a geometry library (to handle primitives and generate SVG), and a PRNG library (with several xorshift variants).
As for the drawings, they're kind of basic, math-wise. For example, “Like mother, like son” is euclidean distance and (xorshift64-generated) white noise with a twist. “Autoportrait” is a bunch of circles, white noise and half of a Lamé curve (that is the black part). “Yet still it shapes me” is a Reuleaux triangle with even more white noise, on top of some version of a metaball algorithm (which gives the dots their somewhat uneven distribution). By the way, the latter's title is based on a verse from “Until it sleeps” by Metallica (which I think was “And the fear still shapes me”).
Of course, if anyone wants to know more about the specifics, I'll be happy to answer any question.
Provoni

Post by Provoni »

I love your art, great job
Velatus

Post by Velatus »

Thank you very much, Provoni! :)
gulshan212

Post by gulshan212 »

Simply love this art, amazing.
FreeBASIC is a great language for beginners looking to get started with creative coding. If you're interested in learning more, there are many online resources available, including tutorials, forums, YouTube videos, and online courses.
Thanks
Luxan

Post by Luxan »

Almost inspiring.

Often I get immersed in the math of a subject and run out of creative
ability in other areas; there almost seems to be a tension between
art and math.

My code for 3d, with perspective, was partly developed in response
to gnuplot's lack of this feature.

I'm always trying to create a minimalist piece of code that conveys
a lot of information, or an interesting artistic effect; closer to being