Programming with Chatgpt

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
deltarho[1859]

Re: Programming with Chatgpt

Post by deltarho[1859] »

I have thrown a fair amount of code at it, and what it seems fairly good at is program design; which would be applicable to any language.

However, when it comes to coding the design in FreeBASIC it makes mistakes that a beginning coder in FreeBASIC would not make. It also does not seem to realize that some of the code it is pulling out of its archives require includes, so that is down to us to sort out.

So if you are stuck at the design stage, it may be useful and if a design looks like it could be a 'runner' then you may be better off coding it yourself.

I saw an article the other day which looked at some professions where the current members may have grounds for concern. However, members at the top of their game needn't worry too much, it seems to me. Members not at the top of their game may find themselves competing with rank amateurs.

On balance, I cannot see myself using it much, if at all.

As times goes on, it will probably improve, but it falls well short of intelligence at the moment. It looks a lot better than it actually is and that is down to, I reckon, its conversational response which enhances our perception.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

For me it is not so much its limitations but rather how it is able to do what it can do.

My first computer a TRS80 came with the DrEliza program. Its limitations became obvious after some use but at the same time it appeared amazing until you knew how it worked. Then there was the chess playing programs. How did they work? Again when you know how they work they don't seem all that amazing.

I don't have the same understanding (or any understanding) of how chatgpt can write a program with an explanation of its workings from a text description of what you want the program to do that I have for how a computer can play chess.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

Some further considerations of what ChatGPT can and can't do code wise.

https://datachimp.app/blog/the-code-cha ... ant-write/
By converting English into code, ChatGPT helps us represent software in a programming language, but the hard part is representing it in English in the first place.
Luxan

Post by Luxan »

Yes, the hard part is describing, or imagining, the program in the first instance.

I wonder how many programmers here, have difficulty communicating with fellow
humans in the 'real' world , where their spoken language originated.
Even with our everyday languages there are complexities that aren't immediately
obvious, examine a Thesaurus to get an indication.
My great grandparents, from certain European countries, were able to speak multiple
languages, however communicating with my parents in any language was difficult.

Most European languages supposedly originated from a proto Indo European language,
according to a Scientific American article. One exception is the Basque language, that is
thought to be unique; however some think that an isolated culture, on a remote Japanese
island, maybe speaking a similar language.

Bertrand Russell, and others, considered developing a language that was somewhat different
than any of these.

So, we want to 'do things' through our programming language without being burdened by our
everyday language, perhaps we need to firstly imagine and then re imagine what we're attempting
to do. For me, this happens quite often when I'm asleep whereby code might become an image.
Luxan

Post by Luxan »

What should the FreeBasic community use ChatGPT, or similar,
for ?

There's some low lying fruit; like developing a cross platform
GUI designer, with a myriad of features, including embedded animated
graphics.

Translating libraries from other languages.

Hopefully we don't need a nuclear fission reactor to do so, a certain type
of, presently pie in the sky, fusion reactor sounds alluring.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/open-ai- ... eakthrough
badidea

Post by badidea »

The funny this is, that if we get a fusion power plant working, it will likely depend on AI to work, to keep the plasma inside stable and hot enough.
Luxan

Post by Luxan »

Yes, however what type of A.I; a rather large and power hungry variety or
a nimble edge computing device.

Once you've trained a Neural Network , for instance, then you're able to use the known weights
in a very power efficient way.
Even if a certain set of weights doesn't meet all of your requirements, a number of these devices
using different weights, with an orchestrated use via a control computer might.

The Fusion investigators mentioned are from the company Helion, stands for Helium Ion.