Chatting with AI

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
deltarho[1859]

Chatting with AI

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Check this out.

To sign up you will be asked for your email address, first and last name, your mobile number and a password. If you are not happy with that then don't go there.

I gave it 'explain ECDSA' and pressed Enter. I got this:

"ECDSA stands for Elliptic Curve Digital Signature Algorithm. It is a digital signature algorithm that uses the mathematics of the elliptic curve cryptography (ECC) to provide a way to create a digital signature. Like other digital signature schemes, ECDSA is used to authenticate the identity of the sender of a message or the signer of a document, and to ensure that the original content of the message or document that has not been tampered with. In ECDSA, a user's private key is used to generate a digital signature, and the corresponding public key is used to verify the signature. ECDSA provide equivalent security to RSA with much smaller key size, it's more efficient and more secure for same key length, making it a popular choice for use in various cryptographic protocols and systems."

The WikiPedia entry goes into more detail, but the above, and its like, gives a good overview.

I also asked how good is PowerBASIC and how good is FreeBASIC. The answers were interesting.

I don't do gambling sites, but will need to limit how long I will stay per visit; otherwise I can see a lot of time being spent just 'playing with it'. :)
deltarho[1859]

Re: Chatting with AI

Post by deltarho[1859] »

I am currently getting this: ChatGPT is at capacity right now.

However, they asked for my email address and will let me know when they are available again. Fair enough – better than getting an outage. :)
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

I get this from the pb site:
We process personal data about users of our site, through the use of cookies and other technologies, to deliver our services, and to analyze site activity. For additional details, refer to our Privacy Policy.
So between that, my email address, my first and last name, my mobile number, It's quite an intrusion.
This AI stuff is only a bit of fun. What could it possibly evolve into apart from devilish pranks?
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

dodicat wrote:What could it possibly evolve into apart from devilish pranks?
One of these days, the Amazon warehouses will have hardly any people in them. Robots don't take tea breaks – they do take the occasional oil break. :)

I use the Amazon hubs for delivery – the local courier outfits are rubbish. I don't buy if a hub is not used.

One of these days they will use a drone hovering outside my front door, pressing the doorbell.

AI and quantum computers will invent stuff we cannot even imagine. Their brief will be simply: “Invent stuff we cannot imagine.”

AI will save humanity because we don't have a clue.

Bring it on – I can't wait. :D
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

I think as age creeps up in us both, we have taken diametrically opposite paths. For example I never use Amazon, but prefer to shop High street if I need anything.
If I saw a drone pressing my doorbell I would throw a net over it, capture it, strip it and sell the spare parts.
Such is how life has programmed me in rural Scotland.
No cctv here to catch me, I look across into a field, then another beyond, then another, then some sand dunes then the sea.
I think you are more urban, perhaps that influences the different life paths.
But we both like FreeBASIC though, and that is always something.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

dodicat wrote:I think you are more urban, perhaps that influences the different life paths.
There may be some truth in that, but I reckon the lion's share is down to personality. I am a fan of Jungian Typology, and probably because I share the same typology as Carl Jung himself. I am fairly confident that your typology is very different to mine. Neither is better than the other, but they shine with different wave lengths.
If I saw a drone pressing my doorbell I would throw a net over it, capture it, strip it and sell the spare parts.
I, on the other hand, would say something like: “It has turned out nice.”. I would expect a response like: “It has. I don't like it when it rains, but I do have an umbrella”.

Anyway, I just ask the AI to: “write a freebasic to sort an array of numbers”. It came up with a bubble sort, but mentioned quick sort. So, my next request was: “sort an array of numbers using quick sort”. I didn't mention FreeBASIC this time – it remembered that I was talking about FreeBASIC.

The code was good, but it used a temporary variable rather than swap. I then wrote: “you didn't use swap”. It came back with “You're correct” and wrote some code using swap.

It ended with: “In this code, I added an additional subroutine called "SWAP" which accepts two variables as input, and it is used to swap these two variables. This way is more readable and more intuitive. You can use it to make your code more clear.”

However, it used a swap function and not the Swap keyword, so I wrote: “you didn't use the freebasic swap keyword”. It came back with: “You're correct, I apologize for the oversight”.

It finally ended with: “This should have the same behavior as the previous implementation, but it's less verbose.
It also reduces the chances of making mistakes if you're going to swap variables frequently.
I apologize again for any confusion caused by my previous response.”

So, it is not perfect, but it does listen. LISTEN! Yep, it's called AI and AI learns. Chances are it will use the Swap keyword in future.

I now need to ask for some code which I have not written or is in the FreeBASIC archives.
This AI stuff is only a bit of fun.
The above AI is early days and is already way beyond fun.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

'stack overflow' has temporarily banned content generated by ChatGPT - see this.

A Systems Analyst at PowerBASIC has written: "VERY large grain of salt required."

The prototype went online at the end of November, 2022.

Elon Musk was an early advocate and then pulled out. I got the impression he was no longer keen on letting the great unwashed access to AI. OK for AI researchers but not the great unwashed who, like Trump supporters, believe anything. :) Yeah, OK, I got excited, but I back off at the first sign of smoke.

Perhaps we should forget about it for a while until the dust settles.
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

Writing recipes and sonnets, great, limericks would be a great addition.
What's a few billion investment by Microsoft anyway?
One of our "esteemed" politicians had a slight hiccup with his tax return, only 4.3 million in Gibraltar, a drop in the ocean, literally.
Elon Musk, I think he is the guy who wants to own Mars to make a quarry. Not the moon, I saw a documentary recently which reckons we got chased off the moon by the present occupiers billeted over on the dark side.
They say that as you get older and older your heroes drop away one by one.
I have got to the stage now I have even given up on Dan Dare.
So, AI for me can stop at limericks, and that would be just fine.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

“Resistance is Futile.”
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

It would be interesting to know how this ChatGPT program actually works.

When I first taught myself programming using BASIC on my first computer a TRS80 I was interested in a language interface to a data base.
The number of sentence structures was limited to statements like,
MARY HAS BROWN HAIR.
A query then was,
WHAT COLOR HAIR DOES MARY HAVE?
It would translate that question into a statement.
MARY HAS x HAIR.
Then scan for that statement and replace x with BROWN should it exist.
And so on with ideas like that.

Now the program would have a perfect memory in the form of a data base. I wonder how often we equate "intelligence" with just being able to store and regurgitate data from a data base in our brains? How many quiz masters do this without an special understanding of anything? This can include data in the form of instructions on how to do something. Is an intelligence test nothing more than a memory test?

I have found AI a fascinating subject although I don't really have the smarts to program it myself.

I would like to play with ChatGPT but it wants to know too much about me.
I would ask it big world questions like how to bring world peace :)

Would it give me a well thought out answer based on a real understanding of how human societies work or would it simply regurgitate stuff it has gleaned off the internet? In other words give the me the opinions of humans that have written about the subject and posted on the internet?
aurelVZAB

Post by aurelVZAB »

I would ask it big world questions like how to bring world peace
hi bc2
that is a wrong question ..you should ask this:

How we get to Mars with Mercury-Quantum engine ? :o
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

BasicCoder2 wrote:Is an intelligence test nothing more than a memory test?
No. To become a member of Mensa memory has nothing to with it.

From this article:
“According to research conducted by Current Biology, people with a higher IQ have an easier time identifying shapes and details within an optical illusion.”

When looking at an image, scroll up and down a little. I saw a woman's face in four of the images. The fourth image had me beaten.

How Does AI Actually Work?

Added: I often see optical illusions in women's faces. That has nothing to do with my IQ – more to do with how much makeup they have put on. :)
Last edited by deltarho[1859] on Jan 24, 2023 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

But to determine if people with a higher IQ have an easier time identifying shapes and details within an optical illusion first requires you measure IQ by some other means. It doesn't explain the correlation.

Yes, I noticed with the the images, including the fourth image, was the faces were easier to see while the page was being was scrolled. The moment I stopped scrolling the faces were harder to see.
grindstone

Post by grindstone »

For me, the fastest way to recognize faces was to observe the patterns from the corner of my eyes. I think that's a relic of the times we were tree-dwelling. This would surely help our ancestors to survive, but can it really be called intelligence?