#freebasic IRC channel at freenode

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
demosthenesk

#freebasic IRC channel at freenode

Post by demosthenesk »

Hello,
i want to ask is #freebasic channel at irc.freenode.org the official IRC channel of freebasic.net ?

i asked for help for Binary Search Tree implementation i've made and an operator said to me that OOP is not allowed on this channel and that it is a OOP free channel...

What nonsense are these ... ?
Also a user dare to say that he likes OOP and the operator said not to provoke him... :?:
caseih

Re: #freebasic IRC channel at freenode

Post by caseih »

Wait, what? Freenode still exists? Not that long ago they had a hostile takeover and the new boss dumped all the channels and users. Are you saying it's still around? Pretty much everyone that used to be on freenode is now on Libera.chat. That's where FB's channel should be too if we need one. given that Freenode deleted all existing channels a while back, I'd say any channel on freenode is certainly not an official one, at least not for most open source projects. I don't think FreeBASIC has an "official" IRC channel. Not too many people are interested in it I don't think.

As for Libera.chat, there is a channel there, but does not have very many people in it, which is not unexpected, especially for small projects. The forum is the primary communications channel here.
demosthenesk

Post by demosthenesk »

the #freebasic channel at Libera is the same at freenode.org. They are linked together.
demosthenesk

Post by demosthenesk »

i think that #freebasic channel at Libera and freenode.org are abandoned.
The title of the channel says "latest version 1.07" and the community is deeply schismatic, one operator of the IRC channel said the people of forum "fools" because they use OOP.
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

See viewtopic.php?t=26784 for the alternative. Still active and more laid back.
demosthenesk

Post by demosthenesk »

thanks paul ! :!:
cha0s
Site Admin

Post by cha0s »

Gee, I so love seeing people driven away because a squatter took over the IRC channels when no one was watching.

I request that MySoft transfers ownership to an actual project admin (and no, I don't mean me. I mean someone actually still maintaining the project).
angros47

Post by angros47 »

If no one was watching, it means the channels were abandoned already, so why bothering?
cha0s
Site Admin

Post by cha0s »

angros47 wrote: Sep 05, 2022 16:24 If no one was watching, it means the channels were abandoned already, so why bothering?
I know I'm only in a position to make a request, so that's all I did.

Why bother to make a request? I mean... I could explain why it should be the default expectation for a programming help channel to be civil and polite and not flame newbies because they don't program the way that the channel op prefers, but my fee for doing so would be allowing me to claim you on my taxes as a dependent.
angros47

Post by angros47 »

I have no intention to be confrontational. If my comment sounded like that, I apologize. I was only pointing out that most of the community has moved on other channels, and so, even if the IRC channel were restored, it would likely be useless