Bye Bye

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
BasicCoder2

Re: Bye Bye

Post by BasicCoder2 »

@operator+
I tried my best to learn FreeBASIC but I simply can't.
That's ok. Just find a language that best enables you to do whatever it is you want to do with regards to programming and that you find easiest to learn.

If programming is your thing then you will probably end up being able to use a number of languages.
bfuller

Post by bfuller »

There have been a few of these newcomers lately attacking us or promoting other languages or dialects of BASIC or Forums. They seem to ignore the word BASIC in their opinions.

I think the next time some newcomer starts a thread titled "Bye Bye" then proceeds to criticize FreeBasic maybe we should just politely reply "OK, Bye!"
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

imortis wrote:I was referring to the level of abuse directed at the moderators.

I know you were.
No abuse would be ideal, of course.
No abuse is mandatory, regardless of who it is aimed at.
badidea

Post by badidea »

bfuller wrote:... maybe we should just politely reply "OK, Bye!"
I agree, but we are not Borg and thus 3 pages of discussion.

Anyway, there are 700+ computer languages. The chance that freeBASIC (not even listed) is a match for someone is therefore pretty small.
angros47

Post by angros47 »

operator+ wrote: Feb 17, 2022 9:37 @Munair: You think FreeBASIC is easy, as QuickBASIC, because you already know QuickBASIC, isn't it? I don't know either of them. I started with C.
Then, feel free to use C, instead of FreeBasic. GCC is free and open source, just like FreeBasic. We aren't offended. We know that FreeBasic is not for everyone, the reason there are so many different programming languages is that there are different needs to satisfy. If a programming language doesn't satisfy your specific needs, perhaps you should try another one
I said I don't know FreeBASIC. Yes, I don't know OOP FreeBASIC. But I have no problems writting procedural C style FreeBASIC.
Well, procedural C-style Freebasic, as you call it, is more than enough: the compiler is written in that style.
FreeBasic OOP is like C++: you can use OOP, but you don't have to, if you don't want, no one forces you to use it
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

We are now getting remarks which have been noted several times. Nothing new is being written. This thread is getting tedious and should be locked.
Munair

Post by Munair »

badidea wrote: Feb 17, 2022 22:50 Anyway, there are 700+ computer languages. The chance that freeBASIC (not even listed) is a match for someone is therefore pretty small.
You make it sound like FreeBASIC is some exotic language, but that is not the case. Its dialect is close to what started as Altair Basic, the language that was the predecessor to QuickBASIC and MS VisualBasic. So the chance that FreeBASIC is a match for someone isn't that small. This is apart from the fact that BASIC is easier to learn than many other languages out there.

It very much depends on who compiles that list of 700+ languages. FreeBASIC has been on Wikipedia for a long time. That should tell you something.
Munair

Post by Munair »

deltarho[1859] wrote: Feb 18, 2022 1:12 We are now getting remarks which have been noted several times. Nothing new is being written. This thread is getting tedious and should be locked.
What is new in those remarks is the member's opinion, to which they are entitled IMO.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Munair wrote:to which they are entitled IMO.
Of course, they are, but I see no purpose in repeating remarks. It is not as if we are conducting a poll, is it? :)
Munair

Post by Munair »

So far, I didn't get the impression of a poll. But I get your point.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Before imortis locks this thread, :) , I must disagree with his earlier analysis.

On Jan 06 operator+ wrote this: "fbc is very portable. I could put both the compiler and the IDE on an USB stick and use it from there. The compiled binary is just run and doesn't need any extra DLLs. Thank you coderJeff very much."

I reckon that operator+ had great expectations of FreeBASIC and was very disappointed to realize that those expectations were not going to be realized. I doubt that he had any intentions to use FreeBASIC as I do – writing “Windows GUI/Console applications” and nothing else.
imortis wrote:In fact, this whole thread was an effort to "frighten" us into giving them what they want by threatening to leave.

That is not a tack to employ by someone who has only been here for a few weeks and not contributed enough for anyone to regard their departure as a loss.
imortis wrote:Otherwise, what would be the point of making a big post about leaving then hanging around after the fact to argue with people?
If operator+ had notifications fully engaged, he would have been notified of responses to which he responded. Nothing unusual about that.

To my mind then, imortis' remarks are miles off course.

I reckon that operstor+ was more than disappointed - gutted more like. A bit like considering buying something, and we eventually say: “I really like this, but ...” and that 'but' halts the purchase.

After reading some of his other posts, his first two paragraphs of the opening post here don't add up. If I was trying to 'sell him' FreeBASIC I would probably say: “Yeah, OK. Now, what is the real reason?”. We got that in the third paragraph.
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

operator+ wrote: Feb 17, 2022 8:38 ...
I tried to learn the language to be part of the community but I can't. I always found it's somehow unnatural to write in FreeBASIC and I quickly resort back to Java.
Such a pity to hear that neither FreeBasic nor its community met your expectations. Careful not to hit the door on your way out.