Revamping the forum?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Munair

Re: Revamping the forum?

Post by Munair »

coderJeff wrote:
Munair wrote:After installing and tweaking a forum for SBC using phpBB, I was wondering if this forum could actually use a face-lift? Personally I find and always found this forum a bit sober and not much attractive. With smileys disabled and no syntax highlighting for the code only adds to the grey-ish environment.

So I wondered, is it because the phpBB version used is old? Or is it a limitation of the server hosting the forum? I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one thinking the look of this forum is a bit out-dated.
phpBB software has to be updated. Which I haven't done before. Also have never had to restore the entire site from a backup. So it's potentially a risky operation. When I tried this on an offline server last time, everything worked except for recompiling the style sheets (theme). Because an style updated sheet compiler was not available.

I can muddle my way though but I'm not a web programmer. I just haven't spent the time on it, sorry.
I happened to make a complete server backup during Christmas using CloneZilla because I had to replace the hard-drive. Everything was restored in one go (sector-by-sector). CloneZilla can be downloaded as a bootable iso. So far, it's the only straight-forward solution I found that works for Linux systems (Debian 10 in my case) with ext4 file format. Especially commercial products such as Acronis True Image do not support Linux systems (ex4) well.
Munair

Post by Munair »

coderJeff wrote:phpBB software has to be updated. Which I haven't done before. Also have never had to restore the entire site from a backup. So it's potentially a risky operation. When I tried this on an offline server last time, everything worked except for recompiling the style sheets (theme). Because an style updated sheet compiler was not available.
I'm not sure about previous versions, but phpBB 3.3.5 has integrated themes, which are part of the configuration once downloaded and added to the styles folder. To my knowledge, no separate sheet compiler is needed. That said, it is possible that the forum's current theme may not be supported with the latest phpBB version.
Plasma

Post by Plasma »

coderJeff wrote:
paul doe wrote:
Plasma wrote:...
There is no technical reason why those things can't be enabled, if the majority of the current users want them. ...
PMs have been working for a while now. As for avatars and smilies, then yes, most members will agree on enabling them. Thanks for looking at the issue.
I'm not sure if PM's got enabled. I think last we were looking at was investigating what are the options for moderators if it's abused. What happens when message boxes fill up, etc. And need to ask Plasma for a little more HD space on the server.
We have plenty of space so just let me know if you need the quota bumped up. I can also download a complete account backup if you are concerned about messing something up.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

Plasma wrote:We have plenty of space so just let me know if you need the quota bumped up. I can also download a complete account backup if you are concerned about messing something up.
Sounds good. I will message you with some details and maybe we can pick a time to take care of some maintenance. Thank-you.
miilvyxg

Post by miilvyxg »

Munair wrote:
coderJeff wrote:
Munair wrote:After installing and tweaking a forum for SBC using phpBB, I was wondering if this forum could actually use a face-lift? Personally I find and always found this forum a bit sober and not much attractive. With smileys disabled and no syntax highlighting for the code only adds to the grey-ish environment.

So I wondered, is it because the phpBB version used is old? Or is it a limitation of the server hosting the forum? I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one thinking the look of this forum is a bit out-dated.
phpBB software has to be updated. Which I haven't done before. Also have never had to restore the entire site from a backup. So it's potentially a risky operation. When I tried this on an offline server last time, everything worked except for recompiling the style sheets (theme). Because an style updated sheet compiler was not available.

I can muddle my way though but I'm not a web programmer. I just haven't spent the time on it, sorry.
I happened to make a complete server backup during Christmas using CloneZilla because I had to replace the hard-drive. Everything was restored in one go (sector-by-sector). CloneZilla can be downloaded as a bootable iso. So far, it's the only straight-forward solution I found that works for Linux systems (Debian 10 in my case) with ext4 file format. Especially commercial products such as Acronis True Image do not support Linux systems (ex4) well.
This tool supports ext4. So small but also so powerful. You could use the trial version.

http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/
fxm

Post by fxm »

coderJeff wrote:
Munair wrote:
fxm wrote: Yes, but we went back to search word consisting of at least 4 characters (and no longer 3 as previously).
Either it's a setting, or a version issue. phpBB 3.3.5 does show results of code box text, including 3-character words.
It's a configuration setting for MySql. I have to make the change on the server, reboot the server, and rebuild the index. I haven't got to it yet.
What's new on this ?
UEZ

Post by UEZ »

Is it possible to reduce the minimum length of the search term back to 3 characters please?

Thx.

A graphic section would be fine, too. :-)
Plasma

Post by Plasma »

fxm wrote:
coderJeff wrote:
Munair wrote: Either it's a setting, or a version issue. phpBB 3.3.5 does show results of code box text, including 3-character words.
It's a configuration setting for MySql. I have to make the change on the server, reboot the server, and rebuild the index. I haven't got to it yet.
What's new on this ?
We cannot change MySQL ft_min_word_len because it's a global system setting and we are on a managed server with other accounts. However there may be some workarounds for searches < 4 chars. I know coderJeff was busy trying to get the fb release out, so forum improvements were lower priority.
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

to the new forum members, please don't abuse the post quotation, I find it very irritating, just about every post is a quote followed by a small comment.
often the quotes are huge with only a small portion relevant to the comment, if you must quote then minimize the quote content as much as possible
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

Plasma wrote:
fxm wrote:
coderJeff wrote: It's a configuration setting for MySql. I have to make the change on the server, reboot the server, and rebuild the index. I haven't got to it yet.
What's new on this ?
We cannot change MySQL ft_min_word_len because it's a global system setting and we are on a managed server with other accounts. However there may be some workarounds for searches < 4 chars. I know coderJeff was busy trying to get the fb release out, so forum improvements were lower priority.
fxm, this is correct. I was working on the release to get it done before my end of year holidays were over.

This weekend, I'm starting to poke around at the site and getting familiar with the assets we have and tools available to work with them. I want to have some confidence that components of the site can be backed-up and restored individually. I don't see the benefit to modify the search code until we get the forum software up to date first. Plus maybe some other maintenance. I see the wiki database is grouped in with other components not used anymore for years. For ease of maintaining the wiki I think I'd like to break that out in to a separate database.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

Starting on some updates. The wiki software needs to be updated so I can get the server on to a newer version of PHP. The forum does use a custom style sheet compiled with sass compiler, which only runs on a newer version of PHP.

Wiki and forum may be unavailable at times next couple of days.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

A few hours ago, there were some posts that were saved / posted by users by but didn't display properly or at all. They are not lost and should display now.

Have made some progress. Was messier and longer than I thought it would be.

- new version of PHP running, but not quite the latest
- new version of phpBB running, but not quite the latest
- styles are sort of updated, but are missing our customizations - the fixed width text, doesn't work.
- wiki is updated to latest web software available

More updates to come. But unless they are dead simple, probably won't be today.

If any troubles found, please post in this topic.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

A few more upgrades today. If all went well, should hardly notice any changes. Closing in on the latest versions php and phpBB software. I had to manually edit the style sheets because I didn't get the scsss compiler up and running yet. Tricky navigating the exact versions of php to run everything through the upgrades. I did finally get the vulnerability warning off the phpBB software though. Our web software is only about 1 year old now instead of 5.
Munair

Post by Munair »

Great work!
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

Default phpBB Smilies (as implemented by phpBB with images):

:grin:   :​grin:    :​D        :​-D      Very Happy
:smile:   :​smile:   :​)        :​-)      Smile
:sad:   :​sad:     :​(        :​-(      Sad
:eek:   :​eek:     :​o        :​-o      Surprised
:shock:   :​shock:                      Shocked
:???:   :​???:     :​?        :​-?      Confused
:cool:   :​cool:    8​)        8​-)      Cool
:lol:   :​lol:                        Laughing
:mad:   :​mad:     :​x        :​-x      Mad
:razz:   :​razz:    :​P        :​-P      Razz
:oops:   :​oops:                       Emabrrassed
:cry:   :​cry:                        Cying or Very Sad
:evil:   :​evil:                       Evil or Very Mad
:twisted:   :​twisted:                    Twisted Evil
:roll:   :​roll:                       Rolling Eyes
:wink:   :​wink:    ;​)        ;​-)      Wink
:!:   :​!:                          Exclamation
:?:   :​?:                          Question
:idea:   :​idea:                       Idea
:arrow:   :​arrow:                      Arrow
:neutral:   :​neutral: :​|        :​-|      Neutral
:mrgreen:   :​mrgreen:                    Mr. Green

Due to some text matching rules I don't understand, some of these are replaced by unicode emoji characters (as supported by browser/font):

":grin:" ":​grin:"
":smile:" ":​smile:"
":cool:" ":​cool:"
":cry:" ":​cry:"
":wink:" ":​wink:"

Editing an old post will cause anything matching smiley code pattern to be replaced by an image of the smiley.