A Carcassonne / Dorfromantik inspired game

Game development specific discussions.
badidea

A Carcassonne / Dorfromantik inspired game

Post by badidea »

I started a new game because starting one is more fun than finishing one :-)
See: GitHub: https://github.com/verybadidea/fb_citadel_game

For now, the only thing to do is, pick up tiles (from the bottom-right corner) and place them on the map, but only at the allowed positions.
At some point, I need to change the tile images. For now, I watermarked them with some copyright note.
More will follow (I hope)...
BasicCoder2

Re: A Carcassonne / Dorfromantik inspired game

Post by BasicCoder2 »

@badidea
One annoying aspect is the tile stack is half hidden by the task bar because my laptop screen is not large enough.
Apart from that it seems to run fine.
badidea

Post by badidea »

BasicCoder2 wrote:One annoying aspect is the tile stack is half hidden by the task bar because my laptop screen is not large enough.
I planned 960 x 720, thinking that that would fit on a 768 pixels high screen, but I see that I accidentally wrote 'const SW = 960, SH = 730'. You can change those to any number. Eventually full screen is better, but during development, a small (on my 1920x1200 monitor) window is more convenient.
badidea

Post by badidea »

Small update, still working slowly on this game. See git-hub link in first post.
A basic scoring system is now implemented. The user feedback on this is very minimal, but for every 10 points you get 1 tile back.
Points are obtained by completing a city (wall) or closing a road network. Larger cities and longer roads give additional bonus points.
Also placing tiles close to other tiles give extra points. So a compact board scores better then a elongated one.
Many more stuff to do...
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Cool. I've never played anything like it before. I wonder if anyone has ever expanded this by having some kind of rts gameplay or something once you can't place any more pieces...
badidea

Post by badidea »

Dr_D wrote:Cool. I've never played anything like it before. I wonder if anyone has ever expanded this by having some kind of rts gameplay or something once you can't place any more pieces...
I have not seen any other games like this, also not in combination with RTS or some other game genre. Not sure if it would work well. You would have two (probably conflicting) goals during the construction (tile laying) phase. The current one, build something large without running out of tiles, and a new (still unknown) one. But one can think of all sorts of gameplay e.g.: Two or more players build their land, when those touch, 'war' starts.

But don't expect such an addition from me (any time soon). I am trying to find games that I can write and complete in half a year or so with a few hours of coding per week. And be fun to play and somewhat original. With this game, I think it is possible. And it allows for future small additions. Like 2 player mode, or set certain goals like build a: city of 100 tiles, or a city fully surrounded by water or a city with farmland inside. Or let the player start with a non-empty land. Maybe allow moving tiles in certain cases? Connect 2 pre-build cities by road. A fast play mode with a time running out? Add more tile types. Enough options.

But first, get the basic game play ready, which is also still a long list of features. Currently busy simplifying the scoring system. The currently implemented system is too complex and not well balanced. Another important thing is that the game does not support certain Carcassonne tiles that I do want to include as well. After that, I can work on a menu-screen with e.g. save / load option, high score list, etc. And the less fun stuff like adding sound, animations, nice font, other tile art. So many thing to do for even the simplest game.
badidea

Post by badidea »

Game updated (see link in first post).

The scoring system is now simplified:
* 1 point is 1 tile back on the stack

When complete:
* Rivers score point of each river tile (but water tile are more rare)
* Roads sections score 'number of tiles' - 1 (sections now and at junctions as well)
* Cities score 'number of tiles' - 2, but 1 extra point for each pennant / blazon (so build large cities)
* 1 extra point for placing a perfect tile (filling a gap between 4 neighbour tiles)

You start with 12 tiles, good luck.