Oracle's graalVM

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
bihai

Oracle's graalVM

Post by bihai »

Hi, does anyone consider porting freebasic to graalVM?
https://github.com/oracle/graal
Graal supports for java, kotlin, ruby, R, python, llvm and webassembly. What if let Freebasic to be embedded into graalVM, so as to be running anywhere?
Thus we will be able to use freebasic in web and mobile programing, etc.
Imortis

Re: Oracle's graalVM

Post by Imortis »

Never seen this one before. Even though I have no say on the compiler direction I will say I am hesitant to hitch our cart to anything Oracle after how they whole google/android thing went down. If others who are actively working on the compiler find it to be a good idea, then let's do it.
St_W

Post by St_W »

Graal and the truffle framework are around since quite a while and shifted from a research project to a commercially used tool over the last years. Besides the mentioned possible additional target systems the biggest advantage of Graal are its extensive optimizations at both compile and runtime that make programs fast.
IMHO especially fbc's LLVM backend could become a very future-proof interface to native compilers/interpreters like Graal, without having that lock-in effect as the LLVM IR is supported by quite a lot of interesting projects (emscripten being also one of them).
TeeEmCee

Post by TeeEmCee »

Graal and Truffle are awesome, but being able to run FB on more platforms is not a reason to consider reimplementing FB (from scratch?) on top of Graal. FB already supports emscripten as a target, you know. I would say FB is already more portable (able to be easily ported to new systems) than Graal is.
j8w344c6

Post by j8w344c6 »

Just compile to native binary, please.
miilvyxg

Post by miilvyxg »

Parkin

Post by Parkin »

You can compile Java to an exe using graal, which is kind of neat.
It is interesting that compiler technology has really advanced in the past few years. After being rather static from the 1980s to the 2010s. I hardly need to write any assembly language for anything these days except maybe to get a hardware generated random number using RDRAND for example.