Street Outlaws NPK Betting Game

Game development specific discussions.
xbgtc

Street Outlaws NPK Betting Game

Post by xbgtc »

Just finished this project that i've wanted to do ever since i done that Strip Poker game. It's a betting game where you bet on which racer wins the 1/4 mile drag with the aim of gaining the highest possible $$. Footage is of real life races and there are a total of 20 hence a 45MB download. Instructions are self explanatory and on screen but there is a readme.txt file included in case. Here's a games screen pic - let me know if you like it :)

New Version:
Download Link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/0i8i3ut6 ... K.rar/file

Another 20 races: More on request.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/s69n9pgr ... 0.rar/file

Last edited by xbgtc on Feb 15, 2022 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
dodicat

Re: Street Outlaws NPK Betting Game

Post by dodicat »

Hi xbgtc
I have the same problem you had a while back. My OS (win 10) won't play the .vob files.(only sound).
I tested with my own video players, console and winapi and gfx, only sound.
Tested on the latest fb 1.08 and earlier versions, only sound.
I have a video player in pascal as well, just the same.
xbgtc

Post by xbgtc »

Hi Dodicat long time no see :)

Haha i thought i was the only one with the problem - weird huh?

With every windows OS since 98SE i've use this old program (K-Lite_Codec_Pack) and just install the mpeg decoder and then i can see video haha - just seems ridiculous to have to do this :)

Anyway when you use FB to play vid in your game screen there is another problem as well in that if you print on a line where the video portion is vertically (it can be to the left or right of the actual video box) it blanks out that portion of video and if you 'PUT' images on the screen anywhere it also blanks out video so in this program i had to do work arounds to avoid it but still had it crop up now and then hence i had to have the F2 button there which loads the video again so you can actually see the paused bet frame. Wish i knew what was going on :)
hhr

Post by hhr »

Your game seems to be comical, it don't seems to be haha.
Can you convert the videos to another format, so that FreeBASIC drivers can work with them?
Otherwise the game is good for paperbasket. What a pity.
xbgtc

Post by xbgtc »

What are you talking about?? the game WORKS.. and there is nothing wrong with VOB which is basically MPG.
hhr

Post by hhr »

Please excuse my remark.
The program starts but there is no video.
You wrote that the system should have a suitable MPEG decoder installed.
Do you have a recipe for that problem?
xbgtc

Post by xbgtc »

Ohh you can't see vid? Wish you said that before. Like i said above i've always had to install an mpg codec on any system to be able to see video in FreeBasic using either MCI or Dshow and the problem is not the video files so you will have to do the same. As mentioned above also i use K-Lite Codec Pack and when installing i untick everything and just install the decoder for mpeg and mpeg2 video (i don't worry about audio either) and that's it. If you are worried about using third party stuff like this (i am too) i can make an upload of the one i'm using which doesn't seem to install anything else but the codecs and is a 6MB file only.
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

.avi files seem to work with mciSendString (I have no codec installed).
I converted all the .vob to .avi (prism video file convertor), which is free to use non commercially.
I am getting a lag between the race starting and the video showing, I just get the tail end of the video most of the time.
I see you have the loop

Code: Select all

do
                mciSendString("status vid mode",@vfp,20,0)  'sends max 20 character message to string vfp that's either 'playing'
                if vfp="playing" then exit do               '                                                        or 'stopped'
                sleep_ 50
            loop while ex=0 'safeguard against bad vids

I was wondering perhaps the threading is not kicking in at the right time.
hhr

Post by hhr »

With VLC media player (Linux in VirtualBox) i converted all videos to mp4.
Then i copied the files to Windows XP in VirtualBox.
In no_prep_kings.bas i changed vob to mp4 (Line 388).
I installed k-lite_codec_pack_1380_basic.exe and the game works.
Nice gem...
xbgtc

Post by xbgtc »

@Dodicat
On my Win10 machine it works fine apart from sometimes the betting frame blacking out in which F2 reloads and usually ok if not then F2 again and that's where that code you posted is about - to make sure the video is playing before i pause it to display that betting frame. I basically use time to time it but by frame would be better (eg start vid and play 2 frames) but can't get it to work :(

To keep vids small i just put together the minimum eg. 2 frames for the betting screen, 13 for the next screen and the race only till the winner is shown, so the vid has 3 joins in it and prolly why your conversion may be bad causing your problem. The program i use is called Videoredo and maybe creates files that some converters can't handle well dunno. I don't have an AVI converter but did convert a vid to MP4 and the space saving was minimal and FB won't even play MP4 on my system so why i keep with MPG.

@hher

Good to know you got it going but i don't know why you converted to MP4 for - hopefully you don't lose the 2 betting frames :) (pic in my first post)
hhr

Post by hhr »

The original program runs in Windows XP.

After installing K-Lite Codec Pack (without any changes) I have to run Codec Tweak Tool:
General: Fixes / Select all / Apply & Close / Exit.
xbgtc

Post by xbgtc »

NEW VERSION:- Uses DSHOW for better vid handling with a few enhancements and $$ limit increased to 99m. Also runs a 20 race round only as if you were to double up on each race and win you'd hit the 99m dollar limit. Also link for 20 more races and a total of 99 on demand but you'll have to modify the basic (line 520 + 583) just change to how many races you got and compile. ReadMe included for playing instructions if needed. Enjoy!