WinFBE tip.

Windows specific questions.
deltarho[1859]

WinFBE tip.

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Many of us, if not all, when we have a GUI build chosen may decide, at some point, to print something to the console and then kick ourselves for not remembering to change to a console build. No console opens and we have to kill the process.

Of course, if we add ' '#Console on ' at the top of our code the above will not happen. When we are ready to dispense with a console we can simply place another rem character before ' '#Console on '.

Now, this has nothing to do with age but some of us are not very good at developing habits, so I don't always remember to use the above.

One solution is to open a text editor and type '#Console on, save to the desktop as 'NewPlus.bas' and then rename as 'NewPlus'. If bas is associated with WinFBE then clicking on NewPlus will open WinFBE with a blank sheet save for ' '#Console on '. Being associated with WinFBE the icon will be that of WinFBE. If WinFBE is already open then this approach will open a new instance if you allow multiple instances. In this case we should 'drag & drop' NewPlus to WinFBE; which is why I dropped the bas file onto the desktop and not a shortcut. On the other hand, if multiple instances of WinFBE is not allowed then clicking on NewPlus will see it added to the tabs. The multiple instances choice is at: Options>Environment Options...>General Options. I don't allow multiple instances of WinFBE because I often click on a bas file in my file manager; with which I can do a lot more than the OpenFile dialog.