DOS expand [solved]

DOS specific questions.
srvaldez

DOS expand [solved]

Post by srvaldez »

does anyone know how to expand all compressed files in a directory ? i.e. file with an extension that end with an _
I really don't look forward to expanding each file individually, would take forever
the situation is that I have the Windows 3.1 in floppies but a lot of the files are in compressed form
I managed to install DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1 on a VM, I then copied the entire installation to a folder in DOSBox
win3.1 runs ok in dosbox but whenever I try to install the soundblaster driver it can't find the driver, I should of course expand the driver, but was hoping for an easy solution to expand all the files, that way if some other file is needed it will be there
[edit]
from the dos prompt, if I do: expand a1\????????.??_ au
it will expand all compressed files in a1 to the folder au, however, the uncompressed files still have the extension with a _
[solved]
expand -R a1\????????.??_ au
srvaldez

Re: DOS expand [solved]

Post by srvaldez »

I now have Windows 3.1 in DOSBox with sound and screen resolution of 1024x768 :-)
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

Interesting. How fast is it? Comparable to a VM?
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

@ jj2007
I have not done any benchmarks maybe later, however the VM's usually run as fast as the real hardware.
there's an advantage in this case to run it in dosbox, because the emulated drive is just a folder so it's easy to add/delete files
on a side note, if your eyesight is not as sharp as it used to be, you set the screen resolution on dosbox to twice that of 1024x768 and everything is big :-)