VisualFBEditor - IDE for FreeBasic

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
Avata

Re: VisualFBEditor - IDE for FreeBasic

Post by Avata »

The next version of FBC is 1.20. That's a good idea and what's VisualFBEditor plan?
Xusinboy Bekchanov

Post by Xusinboy Bekchanov »

Avata wrote: May 24, 2023 1:31 The next version of FBC is 1.20. That's a good idea and what's VisualFBEditor plan?
The next version will be 1.3.5. Will release soon.
Wawavoun

Post by Wawavoun »

Hello there,

I have give a try to VisualFBEditor under Windows 10 and under Linux (Kubuntu 22.04).
Cross platform working is a strong point for me.

He work well under Windows and, after some settings, I can edit, compile, run console or gui program.
With very basic tests I have not see any problem and the soft is handy to use.

On the other hand under Linux I see a lot of problems...
Again after some settings I can edit, compile (FBC64 1.10) and run program but I see a lot of strange things :
- When making "New Project" no templates was proposed
- Some settings (fe the choice GTK2/GTK3 in the menu bar) works but are not displayed
- In the gui designer there is now way to resize controls with the mouse
- If I manually increase the size of a control the custom back color stay at the previous size (in the executable, its ok in the gui designer)...

I have now stop my test but there is probably more...

I have try to compile VisualFBEditor myself but the problem was the same.

Is there something I can do to improve the situation ?

Regards.
Philippe
Xusinboy Bekchanov

Hello.
Wawavoun wrote: Jun 22, 2023 7:48 He work well under Windows and, after some settings, I can edit, compile, run console or gui program.
With very basic tests I have not see any problem and the soft is handy to use.
Thanks for the feedback.
Wawavoun wrote: Jun 22, 2023 7:48 On the other hand under Linux I see a lot of problems...
Again after some settings I can edit, compile (FBC64 1.10) and run program but I see a lot of strange things :
- When making "New Project" no templates was proposed
It didn't happen to me, I'll check again.
Wawavoun wrote: Jun 22, 2023 7:48 - Some settings (fe the choice GTK2/GTK3 in the menu bar) works but are not displayed
Only a checkmark appears in the menu. Or do you want it to show up in the command bar?
Wawavoun wrote: Jun 22, 2023 7:48 - In the gui designer there is now way to resize controls with the mouse
- If I manually increase the size of a control the custom back color stay at the previous size (in the executable, its ok in the gui designer)...
I also check these.
Wawavoun wrote: Jun 22, 2023 7:48 Is there something I can do to improve the situation ?
Tests are the best help.
Wawavoun

Post by Wawavoun »

Xusinboy Bekchanov wrote: Jun 22, 2023 10:53
Wawavoun wrote: Jun 22, 2023 7:48 - Some settings (fe the choice GTK2/GTK3 in the menu bar) works but are not displayed
Only a checkmark appears in the menu. Or do you want it to show up in the command bar?
No no ! Thats what I say : the check mark did not appear in the menu !
Xusinboy Bekchanov

Wawavoun wrote: Jun 22, 2023 7:48 - When making "New Project" no templates was proposed
Fixed: Showing Forms:
https://github.com/XusinboyBekchanov/My ... 663bcaca2b
Fixed: Checking Use Defines on Linux:
https://github.com/XusinboyBekchanov/Vi ... 1da95b1369
Wawavoun wrote: Jun 22, 2023 7:48 - In the gui designer there is now way to resize controls with the mouse
Fixed: Changing Control bounds with mouse in Designer (Linux):
https://github.com/XusinboyBekchanov/Vi ... 95af3a5079
Wawavoun wrote: Jun 22, 2023 7:48 - If I manually increase the size of a control the custom back color stay at the previous size (in the executable, its ok in the gui designer)...
Please provide an example with code.
Wawavoun

Post by Wawavoun »

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the prompt action.

This morning I download the sources and compile with FBC 1.10.
I have have just modified your compile bash file, removing all debian package and 1.09 compiler installation lines and for using fbc not from your "compilers" directory but from computer path.

Compile goes well.
VisualFBEditor start and look good.
Check marks in GTK choice is ok. New Project give now the Templates windows.

I have not test more because trying to use one templates give a segfault (I have tested with console and gui templates). Trying to open the project from templates/projects directory give the same result. Two computers (Xubuntu & Kubuntu) show the same problem.
Note also than the Tips of the Day always come at startup even using the check mark "Dont show again".

Regards.
Philippe
Xusinboy Bekchanov

Wawavoun wrote: Jun 24, 2023 9:59 I have not test more because trying to use one templates give a segfault (I have tested with console and gui templates). Trying to open the project from templates/projects directory give the same result. Two computers (Xubuntu & Kubuntu) show the same problem.
Note also than the Tips of the Day always come at startup even using the check mark "Dont show again".
Hi,
Fixed: Opening empty files in Linux. Added: Saving the "Show tip of the day" setting when closing the Tip of the day, previously it was saved only when closing the IDE:
https://github.com/XusinboyBekchanov/Vi ... 6c496a5244

I think the segfault happened when opening the Console Application project. I fixed it.
Wawavoun

Post by Wawavoun »

Hello,

I give a try this morning.
Now "tip of the day" is ok.

But again I cant open a lot of files.
Console and gui templates projects dont open. When trying to open (from Open file menu or from templates windows) I got a segfault message in the console, no other indication.

This also occur when trying to open some bas file from Examples directory...
CanvasDraw.bas --> immediate segfault
GridExample.bas --> open in IDE (but segfault at compile, I set 32 and 64 bits compilers to "local" and "local" to "/usr/local/bin/fbc")
Also "Find compiler" give a segfault...

It seems you have a strong problem with disk access because segfault always come at this moment...

I realize that all these problems is a lot of work for you and that may be Linux is not your priority.
Feel free to try correct them or not as you want.
But I must admit that a good working cross platform tool like this one with a gui designer etc... is a must.

In any case thanks for the help.

Regards.
Philippe
Xusinboy Bekchanov

Wawavoun wrote: Jun 25, 2023 7:09 Hello,

I give a try this morning.
Now "tip of the day" is ok.
Hi, ok.
Wawavoun wrote: Jun 25, 2023 7:09 But again I cant open a lot of files.
Console and gui templates projects dont open. When trying to open (from Open file menu or from templates windows) I got a segfault message in the console, no other indication.

This also occur when trying to open some bas file from Examples directory...
CanvasDraw.bas --> immediate segfault
GridExample.bas --> open in IDE (but segfault at compile, I set 32 and 64 bits compilers to "local" and "local" to "/usr/local/bin/fbc")
Can you compile the IDE with -g and run it with gdb? After stopping gdb, you need to enter the bt command and show the result.
Because the files will open fine for me. I have Ubuntu 22.04.
Wawavoun wrote: Jun 25, 2023 7:09 Also "Find compiler" give a segfault...
I started this, will soon add the ability to search for compilers in Linux.
Wawavoun wrote: Jun 25, 2023 7:09 It seems you have a strong problem with disk access because segfault always come at this moment...
I don't think so, other files will open the same.
Wawavoun wrote: Jun 25, 2023 7:09 I realize that all these problems is a lot of work for you and that may be Linux is not your priority.
Feel free to try correct them or not as you want.
But I must admit that a good working cross platform tool like this one with a gui designer etc... is a must.
I will correct all the mistakes that I can.
Wawavoun

Post by Wawavoun »

I will do that this evening.

Regards.
Philippe
Wawavoun

Post by Wawavoun »

The problem is linked to the FreeBasic compiler.

Using 1.10 to compile VisualFBEditor and I have segfault like on previous messages.
Using 1.09 to compile VisualFBEditor and then no segfault at all.

I hope you can reproduce the problem on your Ubuntu system.

This is what I get in gdb at trying to open a gui template :
Thread 33 "VisualFBEditor6" received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 0x7ffff464a640 (LWP 7749)]
0x00000000005ad134 in LOADFUNCTIONS (PATH$1=<error reading variable: Cannot access memory at address 0x7ffff4640188>, LOADPARAMETER$1=<error reading variable: Cannot access memory at address 0x7ffff4640180>, TYPES$1=<error reading variable: Cannot access memory at address 0x7ffff4640178>, ENUMS$1=<error reading variable: Cannot access memory at address 0x7ffff4640170>, FUNCTIONS$1=<error reading variable: Cannot access memory at address 0x7ffff4640168>, TYPEPROCEDURES$1=<error reading variable: Cannot access memory at address 0x7ffff4640160>, ARGS$1=0x7bd960 <MY::SYS::FORMS::GLOBALS$+576>, EC$1=0x0, CTLLIBRARY$1=0x0, CURFILEITEM$1=0x0, OLDFILEITEM$1=0x0) at /home/philippe/Program/VFBEDITOR/VisualFBEditor/src/Main.bas:3489
3489 Sub LoadFunctions(ByRef Path As WString, LoadParameter As LoadParam = FilePathAndIncludeFiles, ByRef Types As WStringOrStringList, ByRef Enums As WStringOrStringList, ByRef Functions As WStringOrStringList, ByRef TypeProcedures As WStringOrStringList, ByRef Args As WStringOrStringList, ec As Control Ptr = 0, CtlLibrary As Library Ptr = 0, CurFileItem As Any Ptr = 0, OldFileItem As Any Ptr = 0)
It was with the version compiled with FB 1.10.

Regards.
Philippe
Xusinboy Bekchanov

Enter the command bt and report the result please.
Xusinboy Bekchanov

Wawavoun wrote: Jun 26, 2023 15:56 The problem is linked to the FreeBasic compiler.

Using 1.10 to compile VisualFBEditor and I have segfault like on previous messages.
Using 1.09 to compile VisualFBEditor and then no segfault at all.

I hope you can reproduce the problem on your Ubuntu system.
I also had no problems opening these files with the 1.10 compiler.
Wawavoun

Post by Wawavoun »

I try to go a little bit deeper with the tool (1.09 compiled version).

This is what I have see now :
- I see always a segfault at program exit
- I cant change editor font size (I can change into the settings but this has no influence on the editor windows)
- no cursor or invisible cursor into the editing windows which is annoying
- the gtk lib setting work, check mark is ok but this setting is not saved with the project

I have not find how to use "make". Should I create the Makefile myself ?

For now thats it ! Thanks again for the help and patience.

Regards.
Philippe