DIY hardware interface for simple data collection and robot control?

For issues with communication ports, protocols, etc.
h4tt3n

Re: DIY hardware interface for simple data collection and robot control?

Postby h4tt3n » Jan 25, 2018 17:47

MrSwiss wrote:
h4tt3n wrote:Do you know of an economic, software controllable piece of hardware that will allow us to flip a series of pins on/off or do measurements on them?
Yes, have a look at Arduino, or any of the many Clones: "Open Source HW", as well as
plenty possible add on Modules (for many specific tasks, such as Network, Robotics etc.).
Controlled by itself, autonomous mode (external control via VCP, serial communication).

Price here, for a Uno/Clone: 15 - 25 US$/piece (completely assembled/soldered board).
There are even special sets available, for educational purposes.

Thanks, noted! :-)
h4tt3n

Postby h4tt3n » Jan 25, 2018 17:57

badidea wrote:Apart from the hardware, do you have practical (automation) ideas that the students would interest?

Yes. Most of it is pretty straight-forward. For the input part, I want to measure if a certain switch is on or off. I'd also like to measure frequency / rotations per second when comparing different pendulums / wind turbines / steam engines / DIY electromotors etc. I would also like to measure voltage as a means of comparing temperature / light / sound / generator output. For the output part, I would simply like to be able to turn stuff on and off, like a LED, relay, or thyristor.

With these basic building blocks, some scrap metal and bit of duct tape we can make almost everything.
Gunslinger

Postby Gunslinger » Jan 27, 2018 18:53

A lot of arduino starter kit are easy to find.
https://nl.aliexpress.com/store/1738188 ... autifyAB=5
h4tt3n

Postby h4tt3n » Feb 13, 2018 11:11

Hello again,

I've been looking into things and have decided on the Arduino. I have ordered an Arduino Uno and Mega and some extra shields for sensor input and motor control. The programming ide is very straight forward to use for anyone with basic programming skills, and when the mailman arrives I'll already have several test programs ready to install.
As a side note, growing up with the Commodore and Amiga computers, the lack of direct hardware access in modern pc's have become increasingly frustrating, and simply beeing able to read and write directly to a pin without having to install any libraries, drivers or bypass abstraction layers or safety measures really feels like beeing "home" again :-)

I'll keep you updated, Cheers Mike
grindstone

Postby grindstone » Feb 19, 2018 12:11

I found an interesting site:
http://vusb.wikidot.com/start

Return to “Hardware Interfaces / Communication”