UTF-8 Variable Length String Library

Post your FreeBASIC source, examples, tips and tricks here. Please don’t post code without including an explanation.
Munair

Re: UTF-8 Variable Length String Library

Post by Munair »

coderJeff wrote: Apr 04, 2022 23:08 PCHAR is a windows data type. If windows.bi is included, PCHAR will be defined.
This library having been developed on Linux is not aware of datatypes on other platforms. In any case, simply commenting out the definition in UTF8.bi will not be the solution, unless the definition is identical (zstring ptr). On Windows one solution would be to rename PCHAR (and PCCHAR) in UTF8.bi and UTF8.bas. The datatype was named after and to mimic Pascal's PCHAR as the library was partially translated from the Lazarus project.
3oheicrw

Post by 3oheicrw »

Munair wrote: Apr 05, 2022 5:37
coderJeff wrote: Apr 04, 2022 23:08 PCHAR is a windows data type. If windows.bi is included, PCHAR will be defined.
This library having been developed on Linux is not aware of datatypes on other platforms. In any case, simply commenting out the definition in UTF8.bi will not be the solution, unless the definition is identical (zstring ptr). On Windows one solution would be to rename PCHAR (and PCCHAR) in UTF8.bi and UTF8.bas. The datatype was named after and to mimic Pascal's PCHAR as the library was partially translated from the Lazarus project.
Yes, he was right. I included your header together with windows.bi. Linux already speaks UTF-8 natively so I think there is no need for an UTF-8 library for it. Windows on the other hand really needs such library since it speaks UTF-16 and expects UTF-16.

BTW, I think the definition is equivalent. On the Windows API pchar is char* which is the same as zstring ptr.
Munair

Post by Munair »

3oheicrw wrote: Apr 05, 2022 6:09 Linux already speaks UTF-8 natively so I think there is no need for an UTF-8 library for it.
FreeBASIC has no string manipulation routines built in that support unicode. For example, taking the first 10 characters of a string with LEFT(text, 10) really takes the first 10 bytes, which means that if the string is UTF-8, the encoding may be broken (if a character takes up 2, 3 or 4 bytes). So this is not just about the platform supporting UTF-8, but also about manipulating unicode strings correctly in FB.