freeBASIC Screensaver Kit Updated

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
Imortis

freeBASIC Screensaver Kit Updated

Post by Imortis »

I put in some work and got the (very) old FB Screensaver Kit by Mambazo working for the newest version of the compiler!

Download it here

I had to make a few changes to make it work with higher resolutions as well. Compiler command should look like this:

fbc "Mambazo Doodle.bas" "Mambazo Doodle.rc"

Change the extension on the resulting executable to .scr and enjoy.

As with the original, it only works on single monitors. If there is interest, I will try to update it to work across multiple monitors, clean up the code a bit more, possibly make a library out of it, etc.

Let me know what you think.
Imortis

Re: freeBASIC Screensaver Kit Updated

Post by Imortis »

I am guessing there was no interest in this?
dkr

Post by dkr »

Does it work with two screens now? What does it save? png? jpg? bmp? Can it save just a window?

Edit: I think I remember seeing this post at work, but I cannot download anything from Dropbox at work. I may try at home.

Thanks,
Darren
St_W

Post by St_W »

Thanks for your effort!

I think the general interest in screen savers is quite low today. Since CRT monitors are gone (and LCD monitors typically don't suffer from screen burn-in) and saving energy is important the displays are rather turned off than displaying a screen saver. Personally I haven't used a screen saver since ages.
Imortis

Post by Imortis »

St_W wrote:Thanks for your effort!

I think the general interest in screen savers is quite low today. Since CRT monitors are gone (and LCD monitors typically don't suffer from screen burn-in) and saving energy is important the displays are rather turned off than displaying a screen saver. Personally I haven't used a screen saver since ages.
While Burn in is not as big a problem as it once was, transient image persistence still exists. It can be solved rather easily but most sources still recommend screen savers. I, personally, use the sample screen saver that came with the kit (thanks, Mambazo) on my desktop computer which is hooked up to my TV. It is more pleasant to look at then the black screen default that windows uses.