GUI library for Windows \ Linux (window9)

Headers, Bindings, Libraries for use with FreeBASIC, Please include example of use to help ensure they are tested and usable.
Coolman

Re: GUI library for Windows \ Linux (window9)

Post by Coolman »

you are right. i don't need it. it could have changed. i wanted to test it out of curiosity. i use freebasic for small command line programs. under linux, for graphical programs there is python blitzmax cerberus and many other languages that work immediately without wasting time. that said, if you want to install an obsolete library like libwebkit-1. 0 on a recent linux distribution, you risk destabilizing it. this should not be difficult to understand for a linux programmer. moreover, distributing a program generated with this library will not work. it would be difficult to explain to a beginner that he has to do multiple manipulations to launch a program. good luck.
VANYA

Post by VANYA »

Coolman wrote:if you want to install an obsolete library like libwebkit-1. 0 on a recent linux distribution, you risk destabilizing it.
I even wondered :) How can the libraries libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 , libicu57 , libjavascriptcoregtk-1.0-0 , which are in folders next to other libraries and not used by your system, damage your system? Yes, they need to be installed from deb packages in a certain order, following dependencies, but any linux user knows about this and knows how to do it. These libraries will only be called by your program! I'll be happy to hear your comments :)
Coolman wrote:moreover, distributing a program generated with this library will not work.
Have you heard of Snap , Flatpak , AppImage?

In any case, for new distributions there is a version of the library that uses GTK3 and there are no problems installing webkit.
Coolman wrote:it would be difficult to explain to a beginner that he has to do multiple manipulations to launch a program.
A beginner either learns and becomes a programmer, or remains a beginner. Who said programming is easy? Programming is hard work and this truth should be explained to a beginner, and not wipe his snot. I'm not saying that you need to ignore newcomers, but I also think it's not right to create velvet conditions for them (in this case, not a single beginner will get out of the zero level).
Coolman

Post by Coolman »

you seem to question my knowledge of linux. i migrated to this system 2 years ago and i think i know it well. if you want to have an idea of my skills, please visit my blog here:

https://www.developpez.net/forums/blogs ... ezako2016/

it's in french sorry but you can use a translation site...

i speak very little and never to say nothing. if a package under linux is outdated, it is often to correct errors or flaws. it would be dangerous and illogical to continue to use it.

you don't seem to have understood my message about beginners. maybe the translation is wrong. those who use your library are generally programmers but the programs generated are intended for simple users who are not going to take the trouble to try to solve dependencies problems...

that said, i recognize that dependency problems are a problem under linux, static compilation is the solution. if you had based your library on fltk, it would have been possible. it's true that i tested your library by curiosity while knowing that i wouldn't use it. that doesn't mean that your library is bad. the work you did is excellent...
Last edited by Coolman on Feb 23, 2022 9:47, edited 1 time in total.
Mysoft

Post by Mysoft »

Coolman wrote: Feb 22, 2022 11:42 you seem to question my knowledge of linux. i migrated to this system 2 years ago and i think i know it well. if you want to have an idea of my skills, please visit my blog here:

https://www.developpez.net/forums/u1007051/quezako2016/

it's in french sorry but you can use a translation site...

i speak very little and never to say nothing. if a package under linux is outdated, it is often to correct errors or flaws. it would be dangerous and illogical to continue to use it.

you don't seem to have understood my message about beginners. maybe the translation is wrong. those who use your library are generally programmers but the programs generated are intended for simple users who are not going to take the trouble to try to solve dependencies problems...

that said, i recognize that dependency problems are a problem under linux, static compilation is the solution. if you had based your library on fltk, it would have been possible. it's true that i tested your library by curiosity while knowing that i wouldn't use it. that doesn't mean that your library is bad. the work you did is excellent...
ftlk would not have been a good option... its based on C++, faar from the OS, and even if you would use the fltk-c, it would just be too limited to do anything because ftlk-c was done the wrong way, making impossible to do what the fltk can without adding more and more and more and more to fltk-c, for each case... or if it was remate to actually have the hooks and everything, as if fltk-c was made from the C side... not from the C++ side exporting C interfaces... thats among the reason this library is great... on windows it uses winapi that means you can easily interop it with everything... on linux there isnt a standard library like on windows, but from the C based ones... gtk seems the best option, otherwise it would be pure x11 (which have controls support, but the library would do the drawing, and everything, so... it wouldnt be bad but seems nobody on linux is willing to do that to have a better GUI library :P)
Last edited by Mysoft on Feb 22, 2022 20:08, edited 1 time in total.
Coolman

Post by Coolman »

yes, it's not easy. a long time ago, i tested codeblock with fltk, it works well but you have to use c++. that's why i use freebasic for command line programs and python (tkinter) blitzmax cerberus for graphical programs, i'm currently testing qb64 with InForm. i'm going to stop here, i don't want to pollute this post...
VANYA

Post by VANYA »

Update:

Windows , Linux
Add:
addcallbacksplitterposition
addcallbacksplitterresize
getsplitterpos
setsplitterpos
splittergadget
splittergadgetaddgadget
splittergadgetmapgadget
splittergadgetunmapgadget
w9isDirExists
w9isFileExists
w9isFile

Changed \ fixed:

only linux
StatusBarGadget (resizing by height is now available with ResizeGadget)
SysTray (fixed problem when deleting window)

only windows
ListBoxGadget (internally added style LBS_NOINTEGRALHEIGHT for correct size)

Help in Russian and English has been updated. Thanks to RNBW for promptly updating the English help!
VANYA

Post by VANYA »

Hi all!

Library update what's new:

Windows , Linux

Added:

CreateHashTable
GetSizeHashTable
SetValueHashTable
SetValueStrHashTable
GetValueHashTable
GetValueStrHashTable
FreeHashTable
FreeKeyHashTable
DeleteHashTable
CreateList
GetSizeList
AddList
AddStrList
GetValueList
GetValueStrList
InsertItemList
InsertItemStrList
SetValueList
SetValueStrList
MoveItemList
DeleteItemList
FreeList
DeleteList
CreateMap
GetSizeMap
GetValueMap
SetValueMap
GetValueStrMap
SetValueStrMap
FreeMap
FreeKeyMap
DeleteMap
CreateQueue
GetSizeQueue
PopQueue
PushQueue
PushStrQueue
BackQueue
BackStrQueue
FrontQueue
FrontStrQueue
FreeQueue
DeleteQueue
CreateStack
GetSizeStack
PopStack
PushStack
PushStrStack
FrontStack
FrontStrStack
FreeStack
DeleteStack
ConfigCreate
ConfigDelete
ConfigClear
ConfigDeleteValue
ConfigLoad
ConfigSave
SetConfigValue
GetConfigValue

Removed all functionality of the old linked list. From the very beginning I wrote that these functions are temporary and now I have replaced them with others.
Fixed some bugs

Sorry, only Russian help has been updated.
RNBW

Post by RNBW »

Hi Vanya
I have updated the English version of the Help File adding Config and Data Containers sections, which I think includes all the topics in your list of additions. Is there anything else that has changed in the Help File? Is the Linked List section to be deleted completely? It appears to have been deleted from the Russion version, so I presume this is the case.
VANYA

Post by VANYA »

RNBW wrote: Mar 23, 2022 10:14 Hi Vanya
I have updated the English version of the Help File adding Config and Data Containers sections, which I think includes all the topics in your list of additions. Is there anything else that has changed in the Help File? Is the Linked List section to be deleted completely? It appears to have been deleted from the Russion version, so I presume this is the case.
Hi RNBW!

Thanks for your hard work!

Yes, the "Linked List" section has been removed, as well as the library itself from the archive.

There is still a small edit on one page (text added). I'll show it in a picture:

RNBW

Post by RNBW »

Hi Vanya
Link to latest English Help File:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/316dkvxasa0s ... .chm?dl=0
VANYA

Post by VANYA »

RNBW wrote: Mar 24, 2022 10:33 Hi Vanya
Link to latest English Help File:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/316dkvxasa0s ... .chm?dl=0
Yes, I already uploaded it to sf.net
As always good work!
Thanks again!
RNBW

Post by RNBW »

All of a sudden I am getting a "ld.exe cannot find -lz" error when using GUI library for windows.

What is the linker trying to link to and where do I find it?
VANYA

Post by VANYA »

RNBW wrote: Mar 29, 2022 9:42 All of a sudden I am getting a "ld.exe cannot find -lz" error when using GUI library for windows.

What is the linker trying to link to and where do I find it?
You need to add the ZLIB library (only libz.a).
She can be found here or here (for windows).
RNBW

Post by RNBW »

Hi Vanya

Thank you. That appears to have solved the problem.
Makoto WATANABE

Post by Makoto WATANABE »

Dear VANYA;

Thank you for incorporating FreeBasic containers into window9.
By the way, I tested CreateHashTable and ConfigDeleteValue samples and got the following errors.
My ld.exe is the version 2021/07/09.
Please let me know how I can avoid the errors.

C:\Tool\FreeBASIC\bin\win32\ld.exe: CreateHashTable.o:fake:(.text+0x4d): undefined reference to `CREATEHASHTABLE@0'
C:\Tool\FreeBASIC\bin\win32\ld.exe: CreateHashTable.o:fake:(.text+0xcd): undefined reference to `SETVALUESTRHASHTABLE@12'

C:\Tool\FreeBASIC\bin\win32\ld.exe: ConfigDeleteValue.o:fake:(.text+0x50): undefined reference to `CONFIGCREATE@0'
C:\Tool\FreeBASIC\bin\win32\ld.exe: ConfigDeleteValue.o:fake:(.text+0xe2): undefined reference to `SETCONFIGVALUE@16'