Testing release packages uploaded

For other topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
dkl
Site Admin

Testing release packages uploaded

Postby dkl » Jun 13, 2010 20:58

Hello everyone,

I have uploaded testing release packages to SF. They are built from current SVN, so do not represent the 0.21 release. The purpose is to test the build system and make sure the resulting packages are usable.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fbc/files/Testing/
or:
https://sourceforge.net/downloads/fbc/Testing/

Note: No Windows installer yet, it still needs adjustments. There is a win32 package instead, which some of you might prefer anyways.

Your feedback is highly appreciated, thanks in advance.
segin

Postby segin » Jun 13, 2010 21:10

So when do the FreeBSD builds get even quasi-semi-almost "official" status? I haven been working on my unofficial builds as a parlor show for everyone, but in the hopes someone in the devteam eventually takes me serious.
dkl
Site Admin

Postby dkl » Jun 13, 2010 21:18

I've seen your work, I like it. I'm sure an offical FreeBSD build is possible. Maybe you could provide FreeBSD release packages in the future?
segin

Postby segin » Jun 13, 2010 21:23

dkl wrote:I've seen your work, I like it. I'm sure an offical FreeBSD build is possible. Maybe you could provide FreeBSD release packages in the future?

Of course, but there's a big issue of the standard headers - They assume that everything that might be done on any UNIX platform will only be done on Linux - they check for __FB_LINUX__ instead of possibly a more generic __FB_UNIX__. Code will compile and run with (so far) no issues if you manually define __FB_LINUX__ - the compiler won't do it (since it's not targeting Linux) and instead defines __FB_FREEBSD__ which is not good enough for the headers as-is.

I'd hack __FB_UNIX__ as a generic define into the compiler, but I fear breaking things. I'll look into it in the future, however.

As for providing release builds, that is quite doable. OpenBSD and NetBSD builds aren't far off, either.
PaulSquires

Postby PaulSquires » Jun 13, 2010 21:31

Hi dkl,

I downloaded the Windows version (in a tar archive). I can't get the files out of the archive... I tried WinZip, WinRAR and 7-Zip. Any ideas what program I need to use?
dkl
Site Admin

Postby dkl » Jun 13, 2010 21:51

PaulSquires, I'm using 7-Zip, no problem here. The first Right-click and "Extract Here" on the .tar.lzma results in a .tar, a second "Extract here" on that new .tar unpacks the files. If that doesn't help, can you view the archive contents with the 7-Zip File Manager?

I didn't use .zip because the .zip's were twice as big (> 10 MB).

By the way, in Ubuntu's file browser the "Extract here" feature is smart enough to do both steps at once -- because this type of packaging is standard on Linux. This feature was requested for 7-Zip too.. oh well.

segin, that'd be really cool if we could get FB working flawlessly on the *BSD's. I think we should open a new thread for that talk.
Zippy

Postby Zippy » Jun 13, 2010 21:54

PaulSquires wrote:Hi dkl,

I downloaded the Windows version (in a tar archive). I can't get the files out of the archive... I tried WinZip, WinRAR and 7-Zip. Any ideas what program I need to use?

Windows has probably renamed the dl with a ".tar.tar" extension. Rename it with a ".tar.lzma" extension and 7Zip will open it (tested).
PaulSquires

Postby PaulSquires » Jun 13, 2010 22:43

Right you are. Windows renamed it with a .tar.tar extension. I also needed to upgrade my version of 7-Zip to read it. All is well now. Extracted with no trouble.
segin

Postby segin » Jun 14, 2010 0:59

PaulSquires wrote:Right you are. Windows renamed it with a .tar.tar extension. I also needed to upgrade my version of 7-Zip to read it. All is well now. Extracted with no trouble.

Recommended course of action to mitigate this issue in the future is to ditch Internet Explorer.
PaulSquires

Postby PaulSquires » Jun 14, 2010 1:01

I haven't used Internet Explorer in 5 years..... I use Opera.
joseywales72

Postby joseywales72 » Jun 14, 2010 6:23

Thank you for the packages dkl. I am downloading the Linux standalone now.
Also, I was wondering if there would be an easy solution for 64bit Linux distros. I mean, is it possible to include all 32bit binary libraries and utilities (linker,assembler etc.) in the standalone package?

I know that there are tips and tricks to install FB on an 64bit system, but there is a lot of variety in Linux world and I would like to use my beloved FB as fast and painless as possible in any 64 bit Linux distro.

There are other solutions of course. For example, I installed the 32bit version of my distro of choice, Archlinux, in a Virtualbox VM, on my 64bit main machine, and I use it to produce binaries for Linux but of course I would prefer a lighter but not necessarily cleaner solution. (Independent standalone packages are not recommended in Archlinux ecosystem for example)

Fully standalone 32bit package for Linux would be very appreciated to cut it shortly.

Thank you again for the packages and your commitment.
Anil
AGS

Postby AGS » Jun 14, 2010 17:10

On Windows 7 I have to choose the unzipper myself. Apparently .lzma is not a 'standard' extension. I used PeaZip to open the package and experienced no trouble opening the package.

I noticed libgdsl is missing.

It's a static library and the version that's in FB v0.20 is bugged. There is a gdsl directory (containing header files) in /inc in version 0.21 but there is no binary in the /lib/win32 directory. If gdsl is going to make it into the final release of FB 0.21 then you'd have to get the latest version of gdsl and recompile it (the binary that's in v0.20 is not usable).

As for a Windows installer: thanks but no thanks. I like getting software packaged as a .zip (.lzma, .rar, .whatever).
dkl
Site Admin

Postby dkl » Jun 14, 2010 19:19

The fbcs in the linux builds were linked against a wrong library (a shared libbfd), they are unlikely to work. They'll have to be rebuilt.

The linux-standalone package should include all required binutils and files/libraries to build executables. Is something missing? (besides that shared lib problem above)

The win32 package is indeed missing some libs that are present in 0.20 (libgdsl, but also e.g. libtinyptc, libtre). I'll try to make sure they find their way in, manually compiled and/or copied from 0.20.
dkl
Site Admin

Postby dkl » Jun 15, 2010 2:45

Thank you all for testing.

New packages have been uploaded. The linux packages should work now, and the win32 package contains more libs from 0.20.

I'm not sure how/whether it's possible to add more of the default libraries to the linux-standalone package, so I guess it won't change for now.

AGS, I wasn't able to build libgdsl from source; but maybe I'll get it to work later.
joseywales72

Postby joseywales72 » Jun 15, 2010 5:47

Thanks dkl! I just downloaded and installed Linux standalone on my 32 bit work PC. It seems everything is ok and it also compiles and runs with gen gcc.

I also VNCed to my home PC which is 64bit. I remotely downloaded and installed the standalone version but there seems some library problems. I tested some examples which I compiled on 32bit work pc on 64bit home pc, but there seems some ELF incompatibilities too.

Anyway, I'll try to fix it by downloading and installing required 32bit libs at home.

Great job. Also, in my opinion, you just showed that FB is not dying like some people say.

Sorry for possible mistakes. I'm not a native speaker.

Anil

Return to “Community Discussion”