Star Castle Source Code Released!

Post your FreeBASIC tips and tricks here. Please don’t post your code without including an explanation.
vdecampo

Star Castle Source Code Released!

Postby vdecampo » Mar 14, 2010 0:45

I have decided to release the source code for my retro-remake of Star Castle under the LGPL. A gift to the FreeBASIC community and those who (like me) enjoy remaking old-style arcade games. I have tried to include all libraries that are needed to compile.

Enjoy and have fun. I would be happy to answer any questions.

Download Star Castle Source (Win32)(7.45Mb)

-Vince
Mico

Postby Mico » Mar 14, 2010 17:37

Great!
Ophelius

Postby Ophelius » Mar 14, 2010 19:58

you should add other elements that can collide with you. I find that I can just sit there and shoot down the rings and small ships without moving. If there were meteors or something else always moving close by, I would have to fly around a lot more making the game for fun and challenging.
vdecampo

Postby vdecampo » Mar 14, 2010 20:43

Ophelius wrote:you should add other elements that can collide with you. I find that I can just sit there and shoot down the rings and small ships without moving. If there were meteors or something else always moving close by, I would have to fly around a lot more making the game for fun and challenging.

That was not how the original game played. My record for destroying the queen at the center is over 50 times! Beat that if you dare!

-Vince
Ophelius

Postby Ophelius » Mar 15, 2010 0:08

I just played the original on a Mame emulator, and something I would improve on yours would be the little homing missiles' AI. On the arcade version I felt I had to reposition and fly around more often to kill those little pests instead of just re-aiming my ship on yours. I think it's because they flew in from the side a lot more and were faster, where yours come in from the front making it very easy to kill them without the need to move. On the arcade it was tough to get to level 3, where on yours I got to level 10 no problem with 7 guys remaining. There was more of a replay value on the original because of this. Though not to criticize your programming, while you've done a great job remaking it, I personally think the original Star Castle game isn't a great game in general. I think it's an interesting concept that tries to emulate what Asteroids had, but failed at it. I find in the original Star Castle there's too much button mashing to try to get the castle destroyed in time before it regenerates and not enough movement. Because the fortress gets regenerated too fast, my fingers hurt after a couple levels. If I were to remake it, I would make the fortress unable to regenerate so I can take my time and move around and strategize. I would also add a few more items floating around like meteors just to make you have to move more often and making it more interesting. Even just having the fortress unable to regenerate would make it a lot more fun.

These are my two cents. Good job overall though. ;)
vdecampo

Postby vdecampo » Mar 15, 2010 14:19

@Ophelius

I appreciate your suggestions but I made this game 2 years ago when I was first getting familiar with FreeBASIC and currently have no interest in making changes to it. I have release the source code as an example to help those who may want to know how games are written. Feel free to change the game to your liking.

-Vince

Return to “Tips and Tricks”