FreeBASIC Latest Nightly Builds for FreeBSD [r5357 20100620]

For other topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
segin
Posts: 126
Joined: Dec 27, 2005 5:22
Contact:

FreeBASIC Latest Nightly Builds for FreeBSD [r5357 20100620]

Postby segin » Jan 25, 2010 12:35

Hey everyone! I managed to put together a FreeBASIC distribution for FreeBSD! As nobody has done this yet, I am proud to bring this to the community.

You'll need FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE or better to run it, I think. You can try to run it on the 7.x branch, it may or may not work. If you know anything about glibc, GNU symbol versioning, and the like, then you know why I say "may or may not". The FreeBSD guys did the same thing to their libc starting with 7.x - PLEASE!: If you want to have FreeBSD 7.x builds, and want ME to build them, then provide me a shell account on a FreeBSD/i386 7.x box with at least 400MB quota. I'll make you your builds.

Now with -lfbgfx for graphics support.

All builds are from trunk.

Build date: 2010-06-20
Subversion revision: 5357
FreeBASIC version equivalent: 0.22.0

Version equivalent means what version is in development, revisions 5356 and 5357 is the beginning of 0.22, and the branching of 0.21, so expect to see an official 0.21.0 release Real Soon Now. See the commit log entry here: http://fbc.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/fbc?revision=5356&view=revision

BZip2:
http://psymp3.googlecode.com/files/FreeBASIC-svn-r5357-20100620-freebsd8.tar.bz2
MD5: b6d15571be577697bf460f6a04e84f87
SHA1: 512b6c2e1180d86645b3c42872587d652b5e0fb1
Size: 10767637

LZMA2 (xz):
http://psymp3.googlecode.com/files/FreeBASIC-svn-r5357-20100620-freebsd8.tar.xz
MD5: 42079bb2ac76b78f8a988022e76e1753
SHA1: 073df2102efe151a37c77fe8fe481db9f27aa587
Size: 6998868


You will need to do install.sh -i; the install.sh has been updated for FreeBSD :)

Read the Wiki article http://www.freebasic.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=SVNFreeBSD <-- there if you're interesed in making your own builds.

Note:
When you build source on FreeBSD, you may notice that the compiler throws lots of compiler errors, even for trivial bits of code that compile silently on Linux.

This is because the headers don't know about FreeBSD. An example is GTK+. The GTK+ headers check for __FB_WIN32__ and __FB_LINUX__ and if neither of these are defined it throws an #error. The headers just don't know that FreeBSD is a perfectly valid platform for GTK+, and the compiler defines __FB_FREEBSD__ instead of __FB_LINUX__ - it's not targeting Linux, after all, buit FreeBSD.

Pretty much anytime code that compiles cleanly on Linux fails epically on FreeBSD, #define __FB_LINUX__ and you're good to go (and yes, you can fbc -d __FB_LINUX__ too)

I have suggested (as a few others have) a __FB_UNIX__ generic target-indicating macro for headers and code common to all UNIX platforms.[/code]
Last edited by segin on Jun 21, 2010 4:08, edited 10 times in total.
Prime Productions
Posts: 147
Joined: May 24, 2009 23:13
Location: Texas, United States, Planet Earth
Contact:

Postby Prime Productions » Jan 25, 2010 18:07

Neat, makes me want to download FreeBSD just to test it! (The more platform's the better!)

Good work, sure no no one's done it?

David
Landeel
Posts: 614
Joined: Jan 25, 2007 10:32
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Postby Landeel » Jan 25, 2010 18:25

Nice! Congratulations!!!
AGS
Posts: 1284
Joined: Sep 25, 2007 0:26
Location: the Netherlands

Postby AGS » Jan 26, 2010 23:36

FB on FreeBSD has come to haunt us all :)

Image

That cute devilish guy is on the first page of the 'official' freebsd website.

Great job on the port, segin. One question though: what will it take to get FreeBASIC accepted as an 'official' FreeBSD package/port? It's not in there yet (I've just been browsing the FreeBSD packages/ports repository).
segin
Posts: 126
Joined: Dec 27, 2005 5:22
Contact:

Getting FreeBASIC in the FreeBSD Ports tree

Postby segin » Jan 27, 2010 4:56

The FreeBSD people would have to have two packages, freebasic and freebasic-bin; since it's impossible to compile FreeBASIC without an already-installed FreeBASIC binary, freebasic would have to have a build-time dependency on freebasic-bin, and then it's likely that you would have to uninstall freebasic-bin before installing the freebasic package; they would conflict (same files).

I can give you no guarantees, I have thought about it myself; and I realize it would be damn tricky since the FreeBASIC compiler is itself written in FreeBASIC.

Prime Productions wrote:Good work, sure no no one's done it?


If they had, then my Google-fu must be rusty, because I looked pretty much everywhere for a decent build, all I found was a prebuilt binary of just the compiler.
marcov
Posts: 2378
Joined: Jun 16, 2005 9:45
Location: Eindhoven, NL
Contact:

Postby marcov » Jan 27, 2010 8:24

AGS wrote:FB on FreeBSD has come to haunt us all :)

Image

That cute devilish guy is on the first page of the 'official' freebsd website.


Beasty is not a devil, it is a Daemon.
marcov
Posts: 2378
Joined: Jun 16, 2005 9:45
Location: Eindhoven, NL
Contact:

Re: Getting FreeBASIC in the FreeBSD Ports tree

Postby marcov » Jan 27, 2010 8:37

segin wrote:The FreeBSD people would have to have two packages, freebasic and freebasic-bin; since it's impossible to compile FreeBASIC without an already-installed FreeBASIC binary, freebasic would have to have a build-time dependency on freebasic-bin, and then it's likely that you would have to uninstall freebasic-bin before installing the freebasic package; they would conflict (same files).

I can give you no guarantees, I have thought about it myself; and I realize it would be damn tricky since the FreeBASIC compiler is itself written in FreeBASIC.


See the Free Pascal packages, same problem. Needs version n-1 to bootstrap version n. Worse, if you don't want to be dependant on COMPAT_x, you need a version per supported branch
fsw
Posts: 260
Joined: May 27, 2005 6:02

Postby fsw » Jan 30, 2010 19:47

Maybe on the main page of this forum there should be a subforum (under Platforms) specially for BSD's topics so this topic (and other related FreeBSD/BSD topics) could be moved and found pretty easily.

fsw
segin
Posts: 126
Joined: Dec 27, 2005 5:22
Contact:

Postby segin » Feb 05, 2010 19:14

I am sorry to note, but I forgot to include the libfbgfx.a file with this distribution, therefore, you don't get any graphics!

Don't worry, I'll prepare an updated version soon!

Edit: Updated version with libfbgfx is live!
Aave
Posts: 128
Joined: Jun 13, 2008 19:55
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Contact:

Postby Aave » Mar 07, 2010 0:30

I've never used any variant of BSD but a port is still neat. I think you should put your compilation instructions to the wiki: http://www.freebasic.net/wiki/wikka.php ... SVNCompile
creek23
Posts: 260
Joined: Sep 09, 2007 1:57
Location: Philippines
Contact:

Postby creek23 » Apr 04, 2010 19:30

Download link should be added to http://www.freebasic.net/index.php/download.

Agree so fb dev team will add it.
creek23
Posts: 260
Joined: Sep 09, 2007 1:57
Location: Philippines
Contact:

Postby creek23 » Apr 04, 2010 19:35

segin, I get this warning message when I visit your site:
Warning: Visiting this site may harm your computer!
The website at segin.strangled.net appears to host malware – software that can hurt your computer or otherwise operate without your consent. Just visiting a site that hosts malware can infect your computer.


I'm using Google Chrome, btw.

Anyway, I uploaded a copy on my site as well for malware paranoids (like me :D)
http://konsolscript.org/~mjmendoza/freebasic/FreeBASIC-svn-20100208-freebsd8.tar.bz2
segin
Posts: 126
Joined: Dec 27, 2005 5:22
Contact:

Postby segin » May 30, 2010 7:15

creek23 wrote:segin, I get this warning message when I visit your site:
Warning: Visiting this site may harm your computer!
The website at segin.strangled.net appears to host malware – software that can hurt your computer or otherwise operate without your consent. Just visiting a site that hosts malware can infect your computer.


I'm using Google Chrome, btw.

Anyway, I uploaded a copy on my site as well for malware paranoids (like me :D)
http://konsolscript.org/~mjmendoza/freebasic/FreeBASIC-svn-20100208-freebsd8.tar.bz2


Thanks for mirroring, and for now, I've switched OSes (and thus don't have the webserver for the time). It's a dual-boot solution (I added the new OS on a new hard drive) but I've been forced to repurpose my server back into the desktop it once was.

If someone knows how to virtualize an OS installed on a real hard drive (e.g. the other OS in a dual-boot solution) under OS X, it would be appreciated.
Sebastian
Posts: 129
Joined: Jun 18, 2005 14:01
Location: Europe/Germany
Contact:

Postby Sebastian » May 30, 2010 10:39

segin wrote:Thanks for mirroring, and for now, I've switched OSes (and thus don't have the webserver for the time). [...] I've been forced to repurpose my server back into the desktop it once was.
If someone knows how to virtualize an OS installed on a real hard drive (e.g. the other OS in a dual-boot solution) under OS X, it would be appreciated.

If you'd share your FB+FreeBSD knowledge by extending the wiki as Aave suggested, we could set up a FreeBSD daily build on FreeBASIC-Portal.de (see the daily builds section), too. :-)
segin
Posts: 126
Joined: Dec 27, 2005 5:22
Contact:

Postby segin » May 30, 2010 11:39

Sebastian wrote:
segin wrote:Thanks for mirroring, and for now, I've switched OSes (and thus don't have the webserver for the time). [...] I've been forced to repurpose my server back into the desktop it once was.
If someone knows how to virtualize an OS installed on a real hard drive (e.g. the other OS in a dual-boot solution) under OS X, it would be appreciated.

If you'd share your FB+FreeBSD knowledge by extending the wiki as Aave suggested, we could set up a FreeBSD daily build on FreeBASIC-Portal.de (see the daily builds section), too. :-)


I just registered an account on the FBWiki (I entered "segin" and it gave me "SeGin" which looks absolutely retarded) and when I actually have a set of instructions that yield a build, I'll post them in the SVNFreeBSD article.

Edit: I'm done, read the first post in the thread for the link
Last edited by segin on Jun 11, 2010 17:54, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Community Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests