FBGD Antagonist Competition (Nov 2009 - Jan 2010)

For other topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Lachie Dazdarian

FBGD Antagonist Competition (Nov 2009 - Jan 2010)

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Nov 22, 2009 11:30

FBGD ANTAGONIST COMPETITION

Greetings everyone. I'm announcing a new FreeBASIC game making competition starting today (22nd November of 2009 and lasting till 18th January of 2010 (Monday) and organized by FBGD. The main theme of the competition is to create a game where the player controls (plays the role) of the antagonist in the story/gameplay. This can be done either by reversing the roles in some known game concept (like playing the role of Invaders in Space Invaders type of game or Donkey Kong in Donkey Kong type of game) or creating something completely new, but where the player is the antagonist, with the emphasis of this being expressed with the gameplay mechanics (not only the story).

Competition rules:

* the gameplay must feature the player in the role of the antagonist(s), preferably represented through gameplay
* the game has to be compiled in FreeBASIC
* source code must be provided with the entry
* all libraries wrapped for FreeBASIC are allowed
* the competition entries must be submitted via email or in this thread before 18th of Jan, 2010
* the winner will receive 125 $ cash prize paid via Moneybookers, PayPal or directly on their bank account; the runner-up will receive 50 $ cash prize
* all entries will be evaluated solely by me (Lachie Dazdarian), but I might add a rating section for popular vote results (cca 10 points)

Scoring details:

Game design (40 points max): The emphasis in this category will be put on how much the designer was imaginative and clever in making the player the antagonist of the story/gameplay. Being able to reverse the roles in some pre-made game concept and make it interesting to play will probably receive higher points (I can assume that it will be difficult to code the “Hero” AI in such cases) than an entry with a brand new game concept (but this is not a rule; I don’t know what will people come up with). Of course, entries that were able to express the antagonist theme of the competition only through the story will receive the least amount of points in this category.

Gameplay (10 points max): In this category I will evaluate how much the game is fun and challenging to play.

Progression (6 Points max): In this category I will evaluate the progression in the game (is it present and how much it enhances the play experience). This will be used to award the entries that feature more depth in comparison to those that don't feature it.

Replay Value (6 Points max)

Graphics (7 points max)

Sound/music (7 points max)

Personal likeness (4 points max)

Good luck with your entries. All questions and comments go in this thread, as well as in the parallel thread that runs in the FBGD forum too: http://games.freebasic.net/forum/index.php?topic=382.0
Last edited by Lachie Dazdarian on Dec 19, 2009 18:26, edited 3 times in total.
bfuller

Postby bfuller » Nov 22, 2009 22:52

Good initiative, but surely too difficult for me.

+comment deleted+........rectified
Last edited by bfuller on Nov 24, 2009 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
Lachie Dazdarian

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Nov 23, 2009 6:07

Yeah, my mistake. Corrected.

BTW, I'm sure you can think of something doable for yourself in the following cca 40 days.
vdecampo

Postby vdecampo » Nov 23, 2009 16:30

I would really like to participate in this. Hopefully I will find some spare time this holiday season and put something together. A wonderful retro reversal perhaps? ;)

-Vince
Lachie Dazdarian

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Nov 25, 2009 15:09

The first and the second place money prize have been upped by the courtesy of Jattenalle. Now it's 125 $ for the first place, and 50 $ for the second place. Also, the awards will now be payable via PayPal too.
Mlok

Postby Mlok » Nov 25, 2009 19:49

Hi Lachie,
Nice competition, thank you for it.
I'm not very happy with the timing though, times around christmas tend to be quite hectic and I probably won't be an exception :(
...But if i can find some peace to code a piece, i will ;)
Lachie Dazdarian

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Nov 25, 2009 21:13

I'm not dead-set on the deadline, but it really depends on the entries that will be in development. If few major end up needing week or two to be properly completed, I'll extend the deadline. Still, as it depends on other people, don't count on it.
ShawnLG

Postby ShawnLG » Dec 12, 2009 19:32

You can count me in the compo. I want to do an antaganist of Super Mario Brothers. You would be Bowser and his mission is to regain control over his network of castles and keep the princess from Mario. So far I have the renderer working. Now I need to figure out how to deal with the sprites.
sorex

Postby sorex » Dec 13, 2009 20:20

sorry for sounding kind of dumb :)

but...

what's an "antaganist" ?

English is not my mother tongue and bablefish couldn't translate it to dutch either :o/
sir_mud

Postby sir_mud » Dec 13, 2009 20:39

sorex wrote:sorry for sounding kind of dumb :)

but...

what's an "antaganist" ?

English is not my mother tongue and bablefish couldn't translate it to dutch either :o/

One of these maybe?
tegenstander
tegenstrever
tegenpartij
Lachie Dazdarian

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Dec 13, 2009 21:22

ShawnLG

Postby ShawnLG » Dec 18, 2009 18:49

There was talk about the antagonist compo deadline being postponed to a later date. I would like this to happen because I still have a lot of work to do on the platformer engine. I have started working on the object class, animation class and a script parser. I have not even done anything with sound yet.
Lachie Dazdarian

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Dec 19, 2009 18:30

I've decided to extend the deadline for two weeks, but this is the FINAL extension. No other extensions will happen no matter what circumtances. I think that with this extension I gave plenty of time to everyone who wants to participate and has an idea to complete something coherent.

Good luck.
Lachie Dazdarian

Postby Lachie Dazdarian » Dec 30, 2009 6:18

We are way behind the middle of the competition so I'm curious about your WIP guys. If anyone is willing to post some details or screenshots to spice up the flow of the competition and motivate the other competitors, that would be cool.
KristopherWindsor

Postby KristopherWindsor » Jan 02, 2010 7:57

Return to “Community Discussion”