Alvarian Tales Project - March 2013

User contributed sources that have become inactive, deprecated, or generally unusable. But ... we don't really want to throw them away either.
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

September, 2010 Update. See original post.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

The new art style is full of win. Good job. : )
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

I agree man... that looks very nice. This art style in combination with fun game-play will make one hell of a cool game! :)
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

Thanks! It's a lot more fun this way.

Now I have to redo bounding boxes, because of so many angled walls and things. A bunch of square bounding boxes isn't really ideal on these kind of maps. But I have at least one alternative, the old way of using the mouse to point-and-click a destination to walk to, putting that A* path finding to use. It beats getting caught up on bounding edges. But I did like the idea of alternatively using arrow keys to guide the character around.

Also trying to figure out how many actions you can do on an object. So far I have hand/general action, eyeball/look at, bubble/speak to, and feet/walk to. It would be possible, of course, to add in the classic Push, Pull, Open, Close, etc, like this:

But fewer might be better. Might leave the bottom part of the screen open for just inventory objects to have ready on hand.

Lastly, scaling characters for a sense of depth as they walk into a horizon is a little rough looking since I'm keeping it a simple pixelized look. The screen is doubled in size so that scaling produces a half-pixel effect rather than losing pixels, which helps. But still, looks rough!

Opinions welcome, thanks for looking.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

This looks really promising now. Hope you will stick with the project. Thanks for your work.
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

February 2011 update. See original post.
roook_ph

Post by roook_ph »

I dont get it , You said Free? The site states that sketchup pro8 is $495 . If you want to distribute your work you may have some work on licensing for using the products.
badmrbox

Post by badmrbox »

@rook_ph
SketchUpPro 8 costs money. SketchUp does not.
roook_ph

Post by roook_ph »

I dont know why they have a free version and a $495 version. Ive downloaded the free version. Perhaps until such time that they change their licensing agreement
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

New screenshots (in first post) and looking for feedback.

The mountain scene I'm still a little concerned about. I don't want it to appear 3D-rendered (although it is), and I also don't want it to appear like the textures or clouds in the background are too realistic compared to the character who is rather simple and hand-drawn. It's important to have a consistent style.

Thanks for looking!
rdc

Post by rdc »

The screens look good to me. I think the mountain scene goes together well. I doubt anyone would complain about it.

Nice work.
mrToad

Post by mrToad »

Thank you rdc :) I appreciate the feedback.

Now I'm a little more confident I am able to put some decent scenes together. Time to focus more on the story, and the trouble of linear vs open-world type gameplay. Not sure what design path to take even after some research.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

I was always a fan of a compromise of some sort...A game with clear goal, but which you can acomplish using several paths and always includes several must-do tasks. Star Control 2...a perfect example.
relsoft

Post by relsoft »

All I can say is WOW!

What I nice piece of a project you got here. Looking forward for the finished product.

I prefer mostly linear story with a few optional sidequests here and there.
rolliebollocks

Post by rolliebollocks »

I really like the cartoonish style of the graphics. Do you have a download? It looks like you're using a text adventure style RPG engine with LOOK/USE etc...

I've written a dialog engine for NPC's that works on external files. It may be of interest to you.

Really great work. How does the 3d modeler interface with FB? Or are you porting it is a bitmaps?