Voxel style 2d side scroller

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
Scott_AW

Voxel style 2d side scroller

Postby Scott_AW » Jul 03, 2009 3:59

Ever since I began reading about voxel engines I've been intrigued in creating a game with the technique. Unfortunatly the available engines out there are either demonstrations only, or written in C(Ken Silverman's Voxlap).

Although I had some fun playing with Voxlap and Slab6, I realized I couldn't practicly create a game with what was released. Voxelstien3d would be a good engine to mod to create a standard FPS, but I had different ambitions in mind.

I did however start a small experimental project using Voxlap for a destructuable spaceship, which could evolve into something more interesting if time permitted. Haven't had much time actually. I have found Voxlap converted into a DLL that in theory can be used in Freebasic, but haven't checked that out. A little searching on google can turn it up.

Anyways, on to the point. Inspired by this forsaken method, I decided to throw my hat in the ring. Its more of a paper hat than anything, but its there none the less.

So I came up with what I thought would be a novel idea, a voxel-esque side-scroller/top-down drawing engine. Since I know nothing of ray-tracing, and the math involved eats my brain at times, I went a more conventional drawing method. Actually I have two and plan a third attempt.

The rough draw mode, what I refere to as, consist of reading a 3 dimensional array that instructs when a pixel/box/circle is drawn. They overlay atop each other to create a 3d look. This is a very slow method and will be murder to older computers. This is on by default on the available demo.

The second method creates a point list of what is actually to be drawn, thus avoiding reading the entire 3d array and only the actual drawable parts. Coupled with that is a algorithm that negates the bits that will never be seen(since its fixed perspective), however there is a glitch in it which I can't quite figure out. F2 sets the demo to this mode.

The third method fill include parts of the second, but read in reverse, drawn in correct order. In this way it will ignore the parts that can't be seen at the time as well as those that will never be seen, reducing overdraw some more.

There still are some issues...

Anyway, packaged with the demo is a program that will convert BMP files into a file readable by the program. Included are templates and some samples and documentation.

You can get the demo here.
http://www.filefactory.com/file/ag5g3e1/n/SSVOX_24_zip

Some sample captures:

Dr_D

Postby Dr_D » Jul 03, 2009 18:49

cool project. i was wondering if you've ever heard of a guy named naptastic? he's been working on a thing which is actually quite fast. maybe he could offer some help. ;)
Scott_AW

Postby Scott_AW » Jul 03, 2009 22:56

I'll have to check that out, thanks for letting me know.

I'm not quite sure if this project will be successful, but idealy if I can find a good flexible engine for voxels I may drop this project.

Alternatively after I put a little more work into it and comment it better I plan on releasing it for public mod. That way if someone can improve it more than I'm capable of then there be a interesting voxel-esque side scroller engine for use.
Frank Dodd

Postby Frank Dodd » Jul 04, 2009 8:14

This sounds like an interesting project, i remember my first encounter with Voxels while playing the excellent Comanche helicopter game, even then I thought it was an interesting technology and it is a shame it has not received the attention it is due.

I think we would have a more advanced system of destructible environments if it had been, this failing has really distracted away from the realism of games in many ways, i mean when I am carrying nuclear powered hand weaponry I want to be able to make my own doorways :)

I don't recall seeing a wholly 2D voxel engine/game before it would be interesting to see how it is applied to your gameplay, I guess many boss ships in scrolling shooters could be considered voxel objects though.

Good luck with it and it will be nice to see some spaceship shaped voxel constructions :)
wolfstar

Postby wolfstar » Jul 04, 2009 10:17

The destructable spaceship is cool, pity it crashes everytime i fire the blaster.
Scott_AW

Postby Scott_AW » Jul 04, 2009 23:27

Thanks for the comments.

The more I think about it, a side scrolling space shooter would work nicely. I actually have a somewhat incomplete, but visually nice side scroller I made with Game Maker 6.1 called 'Rick Jason', It should be possible, but not easy to convert it into this format.

Unfortunatly its at 64digits.com which is down for the weekend in yet another server transfer. Hopefully I won't lose my files there again.

It would be fitting for me to make that game in freebasic as in the early 90s I original made it using QuickBasic. Don't think I have those anymore, they were on diskettes.
robert8192

Postby robert8192 » Sep 15, 2010 5:34

Hey scott,
any new developments on this Voxel project or the side scroller project.

Can I acquire the source code for the demo if you are done working on it???

Rob..
kiyotewolf

Postby kiyotewolf » Sep 16, 2010 23:07

Voxels are 3D pixels.

I will jump headfirst into this, after my 2D sprite package is finished.

It will make doing VOXELS so much easier, cause I'll work it into the source, NOW, as I go along, (something I was already planning to do, from it's start.)

~Kiyote!

Why stop with pixels. We have texels!
kiyotewolf

Postby kiyotewolf » Sep 16, 2010 23:12

Did you write the engine to do those displayed images on this website link here?

http://www.jonof.id.au/forum/index.php?topic=1686.0

~Kiyote!

Return to “Projects”