How BASIC is FreeBASIC?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Z!re

Post by Z!re »

[Content removed at author's request]
Mentat

Post by Mentat »

I think there's a todo list.
Tiger

Post by Tiger »

I see. Thanks.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

Yeah, not very user friendly, sorry:
http://fbc.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/f ... r/TODO.txt

It helps guide us (devs) when we can't think of anything else to do.
Tiger

Post by Tiger »

Well, it seems the hardest cuts have been made, although I don`t know the consequences (and the purpose) of a C backend. How likely is a -lang win9x version in the near future (the main program then being compatible to XP and Vista only)? Is that foreseeable?
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

The C backend has already been started and should allow fb programs (and fbc iteself) to be ported to other platforms. Currently we only have capability to generate x86 programs.

I don't know what you mean by -lang win9x? -target win9x maybe. But for now win9x and XP differences are handled with OS version checks at runtime. I use both win9x and winXP regularly for running FB programs. Other devs have Vista or Win2K or Linux.
Tiger

Post by Tiger »

I meant it symbolically for not being compatible with Win9x any more like Python for example. But you answered my question. Thanks a lot.
barbershop

leaning toward c++

Post by barbershop »

I love this compiler. I'm learning c++ at the moment and this is a great tool to simplify things in my opinion because the code I write in freebasic is FASST and I don't really think I'll use anythng else unless I'm using a 3d engine like irrlithct then c++ is in store because ultimately c++ is superior for rendering and speed.

barbershop