Roguelike Interpreter from FreeBASIC

Game development specific discussions.
Roguelike Junky

Roguelike Interpreter from FreeBASIC

Post by Roguelike Junky »

I always wanted to do a roguelike... But then I realised something, why not make an interpreter for the Roguelike of dreams???? So far, I calculated the variables... It will be file fed type of Interpreter. For the moment, the prototype will have only ASCII graphics... The Newer archetype will be similar to that of Diablo with the graphics I am shooting for...

But I thirst for the old Roguelike, however dot comma, I am hoping some of you guys might point to me the right direction when I need help. Like how to make the player in different directions, and the critters going for the player... Maybe they should be static... Like for right now, my ideas are for only parser controlled Roguelike, kinda like an Interactive Fiction Roguelike...

Looking for forward for the ideas to work ^_^
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I get the hankering to work on a Roguelike every now and then... but then I just end up playing ADOM instead. : )

http://www.adom.de

I'm not sure what you mean by an interpreter... what do you mean?
deveah

Post by deveah »

he means making a "roguelike language" - you make a script and run it with the interpreter and voila! your own roguelike!
Roguelike Junky

Interpreter

Post by Roguelike Junky »

While, it's like for instance, Inform... Save it's for the Roguelike rather then Interactive Fiction... Certain times, a file will be loaded, and certain labels will be defined... You can make your level (but it would be wise to make another folder) customization to make a Roguelike... But this is some work for me, since I haven't programmed on QBASIC for so long... And I used the file system on FreeBASIC from QBASIC coding, and it works better then QBASIC ^_^

Well, Ryan, if you want to join in this endevor, I will love some assistance ^_^

However, dot comma, I don't want everyone to do this program for me, I want to do it as my own, but with pointers from others... When the prototype is done, then peeps can Beta Test the interpreter... And after I get done with the graphical version of my Roguelike, then the ASCII version will be up as open source

Well, bitte Herr Ryan
Und Auf Widdersehn
elsairon

Post by elsairon »

Sounds great. I have tossed around ideas for an if game, a rl game, and a cross between the two.

I have so far ended up working on the RL aspect though. I use info files to load data for the game instead of hardcode, so I have a few strict parsers for some of the different sections done; maps, key-bindings, save/load game, and terrain types. I still have alot more to accomplish before a final game release.

Writing a 'master-parser' to load an entire RL game would be quite a challange, I wish you luck!

I'm interested to see your results on building a scripting language for RL's.