No Driving Games in FBGD?!

Game development specific discussions.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

I mean, how many actual finished games are there for FB (That are not 10 minute arcade games)?
And if your first though is Lynns Legaccy or Griffon Legend, you need to think about when they were released.
From 2007 and 2008:

Easter Cortex
Mighty Line
Zonaxtic!
Sokoban DBOS
Catloaf: 2600
Color Triple YAHTZEE!
Invader FB – The Final Story
Sector Shock
Lander
TubeRacer
Hex Factor BETA
Vandris Escape

Ok, ok. Not really major stuff…but not only 10 minutes arcade games either.
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

And if your first though is Lynns Legaccy or Griffon Legend, you need to think about when they were released.
You need to consider that Lynn's Legacy took a long time to make, and had one of the best developers in the community working on it. Same with Griffon Legend.
KristopherWindsor

Post by KristopherWindsor »

@Lachie Dazdarian: That list is shorter than the list of previous competition entries alone. Of course we have had many more games in 2007. ;-)
phycowelder

Post by phycowelder »

i would enter but I'm in "Education Mode" with OGL and Newton!

don't get me wrong I'm excited about the Compo, but I'm learning to try to put out More advanced stuff!
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Hex Factor BETA
Vandris Escape
Lachie points to "...".
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

I've made a tech demo of my game, if anyone wants to try it. :)

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?czw50yjwn0z
ciw1973

Post by ciw1973 »

Z!re wrote:
ciw1973 wrote:Again, the prize money is still up for grabs, and I'm quite happy for you to decide the rules, start and finish times, judging etc. yourselves. Just let me know when I'll need to pay up.
I think this challenge needs to be less about rules, and more about getting a finished polished game out.
I agree entirely, and suggested as much earlier in the thread.

However, it's definitely starting to look like people are getting bogged down with competition structure rather than actually getting on with coding their games.

Maybe, this is just something which is unavoidable. Maybe people absolutely must have rules before they can relax enough to compete in such a competition.
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Well, maybe I'm just not the competitive type. :p I just ran across this thread one day, realized there were'nt many, well, any racing games released in FreeBASIC yet, and decided to make one. Even if the competition has rules beyond the scope of my game, I will still finish it and polish it as best I can. I really hope this produces a few fun games that we can add to FBGD. :)
KristopherWindsor

Post by KristopherWindsor »

I finally got a good game idea, but I think I am too late for February. :-P

Since the goal was just to make a good game, so there is no reason for an arbitrary deadline, I won't mind releasing my game some time next month with a little extra quality.

Since it doesn't look like anyone is seriously trying to win the money (IMO), maybe you can save the prize money for the next competition.
I am making this race game anyway. ;-)

FWIW, I just wanted to clarify the rules so I wouldn't be disqualified, but I guess this doesn't matter now. xD