No Driving Games in FBGD?!

Game development specific discussions.
HD_

Post by HD_ »

Sorry, I guess I was being a bit of a jerk- I just really like my textured primitives :P
Sure. Why don't we also say, that you can only use *your* code? You must be able to explain, in detail, how everything works. :)
I hope that doesn't include the FB language it self :P
KristopherWindsor

Post by KristopherWindsor »

Oh! I know how OpenGL works!! You position the camera, tell the computer where the world is, and it's magic!! :-P

I'd like to join this competition, and maybe practice my OpenGL coding in it, instead of the same old GFX I have been using. ;-)
ciw1973

Post by ciw1973 »

Unless you impose some major restrictions I think you're going to have problems here, as everyone knows what the basic challenge is, and may even have started coding things. I notice Kris has just released a couple of nice OpenGL demos featuring cars.

You may as well just keep it simple and say that everyone has from now until the end of February (or some other date to be agreed) to write a driving game in FreeBASIC and submit it to the forum on a competition thread.

Whilst I'm generally a fan of such things, I can't see that restricting libraries or anything like that is going to result in better driving games, which as far as I can see is the whole point of the exercise. In fact, it'll probably result in fewer entries, so let's just keep it open to everyone by giving people free choice in the approach they use.

Personally, I'd use OpenGL for both 2D and 3D games, but HGE is a wonderful and extremely powerful, tried and tested library which will let people get the 2D graphics framework in place very quickly and easily leaving them to free to concentrate on the actual mechanics of their game play. That said, FBGFX if also a very capable library, and some may even prefer to use DirectX. In short, we're very lucky to have a multitude of good options when it comes to graphics libraries we can use when programming in FreeBASIC, and it would seem daft to limit people for a competition such as this.

As far as judging goes, I guess it should be peer judging, again to keep things simple and get everyone involved, although for practical reasons it probably needs to be just those who submitted an entry who vote.
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

Well that's it. I'm coding a racing game. No telling when it'll be finished, but it's going to be in FreeBASIC and I'll be working on it during the weekends. Should be fairly fun...
ciw1973

Post by ciw1973 »

Is anyone actually taking part in this?
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

ciw1973 wrote:Is anyone actually taking part in this?
Yes. It'll be fairly long, however.
KristopherWindsor

Has this competition started yet, or were you asking someone to develop the rules / host the competition? ;-)
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

KristopherWindsor wrote:Has this competition started yet, or were you asking someone to develop the rules / host the competition? ;-)
It's clear that potential competitors would not like the rules I would impose so I will leave it up to someone else.

-Vince
KristopherWindsor

Maybe the host should be someone such as Cha0s who won't enter the competition. xD
ciw1973

Post by ciw1973 »

I was just wondering if anyone was interested in actually doing this?

If there are people wanting to take part, but no-one is interested in organise it, then we could just go with my suggestion above, which in a nutshell was:

"Write a driving game in FreeBASIC and submit it by the end of February"

Assuming there are enough entrants, those who have submitted an entry will be the judges, and if there are only a few entries, then we could open it up to all registered forum members.

My offer of 100 GBP total prize money still stands.
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

ciw1973 wrote:My offer of 100 GBP total prize money still stands.
Heheh I was going to make a game and release it just to promote coding without a prize or anything such as that - However, I came up with this idea for this amazing racing game and I'm planning on dedicating more time to it than I originally expected.
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

Super Fridge Racer Pow(FB)!!!
Z!re

Post by Z!re »

[Content removed at author's request]
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

I think it would be worth it, just to have some complete racing games in FB.
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

And to make me famous. Of course, God hates me, so this will never happen... Or I try to have version 1.0 of any engine of mine the first time I code something, and I hate myself.