It's competition time!

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

Well I am quickly approaching the "I've gotta stop tweaking and wrap this project up" point. I have added some features based on feedback from users...

1. Added ASDW control for firing, as well as spacebar.
2. Added 2-levels to start from, EASY or HARD
3. Added more enemies which show up as the game progresses
4. Added some refined text routines as well as small/large sizes.

The enhanced version can be downloaded here...

http://www.imakegames.com/Vandris_Escape.zip 260k Win32

If you want, you can press F12 to save a BMP of the screen. (For showing off your high score!)

Cheers!
-Vince
Last edited by vdecampo on Nov 13, 2007 20:09, edited 1 time in total.
ciw1973

Post by ciw1973 »

Whilst I've put together a couple of MODs which I'm quite happy with, I've not had chance to actually start coding my entry yet, which is a shame as I'm really pleased with the game design I've got.

There are actually four sub-games making up the whole - a three-in-a-row-puzzler, a dodge-the-asteroids vertical scroller, the original Space Invaders and something like Centipede, only with move or a Jeff Minter Grid Runner/Matrix feel to it.

I've spent much of the planning working on how everything will be presented and how the player will move between these fairly different games, and there's now a proper story/explanation for it all, as well as pretty much a full storyboard and plenty of pseudocode.

I should have a couple of hours later this evening, so may well start on the engine, but there's no way I'll be able to finish the game before next Monday. It's definitely something I'm going to work on as soon as I get time though, which will be after this competition has been properly wrapped up two weeks on Monday.

As I'm now going to have more time, I'll be writing it in OpenGL and FMOD so it'll be cross platform.

I'll not be commenting on any of the games beyond saying that I'm pretty impressed with the ideas which people have come up with so far. Good luck to everyone!
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Do you think you really need OpenGL for your project?

What?
notthecheatr

Post by notthecheatr »

OpenGL speeds things up - or so I hear (I, unfortunately, haven't learned to use it yet)
DaveUnit

Post by DaveUnit »

it won't speed things for Lachie, for example, as some of us know.
it'll be much faster as long as the player has a semi-competent graphics card.
hardware acceleration won't go very fast without the hardware.
I don't personally care what you do since my pc can probably handle whatever you dish out, but if you want everyone to be able to play your game stick to fbgfx.
If you have the time use both and give players the choice between software gfx and hardware gfx.
Since these are just 2d space invaders-esque games fbgfx would be more than adequate, and Lachie can play your game. :P
But seriously, you want Lachie to be able to play your game, he's a very good critic.
ciw1973

Post by ciw1973 »

In this case I'll be using OpenGL because I'm not submitting an entry for the competition itself and it gives a huge performance boost even for 2D stuff, especially if you want slick dynamic presentation.

The presentation I have in mind makes extensive use of alpha blending and scaling of quite large areas of the screen, with rendering to framebuffers which are then resized whilst the game is in progress as the player moves between the different sub-games. The graphics and individual game concepts might be simple, but the overall game certainly isn't.

If I'd been submitting an entry, it may have been written in either HGE which I'm a bit fan of, but more likely would have been just plain FBGFX for cross-platform reasons.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

I don't have problems with people using OpenGL if it's for a good reason. I just hate seeing some tinky-winky 2D game done in OpenGL and crawling with 1 FPS on my PC. I also don't understand why OpenGL doesn't have an ability to fall back to software gfx.
redcrab

Post by redcrab »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:I don't have problems with people using OpenGL if it's for a good reason. I just hate seeing some tinky-winky 2D game done in OpenGL and crawling with 1 FPS on my PC. I also don't understand why OpenGL doesn't have an ability to fall back to software gfx.
I ve always though that OpenGL doesnt work on your machine... I m happy to read your gfx acceptation enhancement.
duke4e

Post by duke4e »

Just a little update about my project:

To do:
-add few more enemies
-use the rest of sound files
-make algorithmic music generator
-add title screen/game ending/instructions
-add few more levels

Currently working on:
-random map generator
-more weapons

Everything else:
-done ;)
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

Alright I am definately done screwing around with my code. For the last couple of days, the fact that I had (1) GOTO statement was really bothering me. I finally arranged the code so I was able to eliminate that last GOTO.

My code is officially finalized!

:-)

Cheers!
-Vince
duke4e

Post by duke4e »

just a question. once you run my game, all graphics get procedural enhancements + i also procedurally make some graphics on the fly. then all this graphics are saved as bmp's, just to be loaded later in game.

is this legal? or do i have to spend half of day just making the procedural graphics not be saved on hard drive.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Well... I've gotta get up for work in 3 hours, and I have a long weekend ahead of me with things to do, in-laws in town, and housework to get done. But I had to work on it! : P My wife is understanding... I've fallen asleep the last 3 nights in a row when I meant to work on the game.

So... what we have here is the first 5 proposed waves of the game. Different game elements will become increasingly more difficult, and your ship will get more powerful as time goes on.

If you have trouble running the game, try adjusting the screen mode and windowed settings in settings.ini.

I'm looking for any feedback, especially bug reports. I tried to make mounting enemies a little easier per Lachie's feedback, and I put a gameplay hint in the instructions for ya.

Download: http://www.bywombats.com/files/SectorShock.zip

(2 known bugs: mounting a ship right after probing another ship won't let you probe it; I didn't reset speed values after death! Never caught the second b/c I was only playing through the game once each test run. ; )

Eye candy:
A functioning main menu/highscore table. (Much nicer looking that Red Jumpy Ball!)

Yes, only the ion cannon can harm portals.

Have fun with the turret. : ) (Look for the indicator under the "S" in "Status.")
Last edited by Ryan on Nov 16, 2007 13:12, edited 1 time in total.
ciw1973

Post by ciw1973 »

If you generate the BMPs procedurally and save them to disk for loading, then that's fine, as effectively you are just creating temporary files, which is certainly not against the rules.

I assume, with them being temporary files, that you'll be deleting them from disk once they are no longer needed, or certainly when the player exits the game?
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

ciw1973 wrote:I assume, with them being temporary files, that you'll be deleting them from disk once they are no longer needed, or certainly when the player exits the game?
@CIW
As long as the file is not distributed with the package, It would be considered just a temp file right?

-Vince
ciw1973

Post by ciw1973 »

vdecampo wrote:@CIW
As long as the file is not distributed with the package, It would be considered just a temp file right?

-Vince
Yup. If it's actually generated by your code, then it's OK.