HEX FACTOR (Playable Test Release)

Game development specific discussions.
vdecampo

HEX FACTOR (Playable Test Release)

Post by vdecampo »

I have released a playable test demo of my new game which brings together most of the major game pieces...

- Transitions from Into -> Game Over
- In-Game menu and options
- Limited Game play with
- Player movement and fire
- Enemy movement
- Basic scoring
- Game Music and Sound

Here is a list of work still to do...

- Enemy AI and attacking
- Enemy collisions with player
- Additional weapons and powerups
- Hex Grid Interactions
- More backstory and mission goals

If you would like to play the demo so far, get it here...

http://www.iMakeGames.com/HexFctr.zip (4.5Mb)

I welcome constructive criticism. :-)

-Vince
Last edited by vdecampo on Sep 22, 2007 17:00, edited 2 times in total.
schleiereule

works great

Post by schleiereule »

Hi,
the game looks great. Gfx and Sfx work pretty.
The intro doesnt work, but I guess its not yet intended to. I would like to control the spaceship with mouse only, with the right button to boost, for example. And the game might start in full screen mode. The window mode is no good when the cursor gets out of the window, and the full screen option doesnt work so youve got to do it manually with ALT + RETURN.

But its a very nice demo and I cant wait for the next version. Keep up the good work.
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

You will need an Mpeg4 capable video decoder to see the video. I would think XVID or DIVX should suffice.

Thanks for the suggestions. I intend to make all controls customizable.

-Vince
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

14 MB?!?! Uh, you could at least offer a "lite" version with demos, as there will obviously be more of them and this is a killer for us with limited bandwidth and slow connection.
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

Ok, I removed the into video. It brings it down to 5Mb... 8-}

http://www.eastoncomputers.com/HexFactr_(0.10)_Lite.zip

Cheer!

-Vince
Lachie Dazdarian

Well, I already downloaded the huge version, but thanks anyway. :P

BTW, the movie doesn't play in the game, while it plays fine in Windows Media Player. I got all the decoders I need.

I like the design, the gameplay, sound and music.

The game plays with 11 FPS on my PC, which is playable, I just don't know how much it makes the game easy because dragging so slow.

Projectiles could fly for longer amount of time, and explosions could be neater (not so dark edges). Perhaps using PNGs with transparent edges?

BTW, did you improve the "follow the cursor" code according to my suggestion? I like to know if I helped people.

Can't wait to see this completed.
vdecampo

Post by vdecampo »

BTW, did you improve the "follow the cursor" code according to my suggestion? I like to know if I helped people.
I appreciate the suggestion but I had already fixed my angle code before you posted.
BTW, the movie doesn't play in the game, while it plays fine in Windows Media Player. I got all the decoders I need.
The video is compressed in Microsoft Mpeg4. I have had problems with the AVI library when using XVID or DIVX codecs, and the default Microsoft codecs give a move size of 30+Mb.

That is a detail I will have to work out before the game is finished.

-Vince
AlexZ

Post by AlexZ »

Lachie, I don't want to sound perky, but where the hell do you live? We're in mid 2007 and broadband is everywhere and costs no fortune.
Sisophon2001

Post by Sisophon2001 »

AlexZ wrote:Lachie, I don't want to sound perky, but where the hell do you live? We're in mid 2007 and broadband is everywhere and costs no fortune.
Where do you live would be more like it! Lachie fills out the relevant field in his profile, so we all know where he is from. :)

Garvan.
notthecheatr

Post by notthecheatr »

Nice demo, though I'm unable to see the intro video. Perhaps you should use a more standard codec...

@AlexZ:
Lachie runs a somewhat old-fashioned system somewhere in Croatia. At times it may seem annoying, but the bright side is that Lachie is our "weakest link" and this way we can test our code to see how well it runs on older systems with lower specs - for those of us who might want to be able to write games that more people can play.
subxero

Post by subxero »

Decent engine. The video played fine on my system, both under the engine, and under Media Player Classic, which is nice. :-)

The graphics are fairly smooth here, and my only complaint is that the small explosion sounds (when you fire at a ... disc thing) are waaaay off-sync from when the actual hitting (or firing) occurs. They happen way after whatever it was I shot is completely destroyed.

Also, to give your engine a little more freedom, there's a decent roto-zooming library for SDL out there (if you ported to SDL, you'd get a better framerate, I'd imagine) and I know D. J. Peters wrote a roto-zooming function for FB's graphics library (and it's wicked fast) so you may be able to cut down on the graphics file sizes, and possibly introduce a free 360-degree rotation system. Just a thought. (Search the forum for the roto-zooming routine. Sorry, I'm lazy...)
notthecheatr

Post by notthecheatr »

I didn't notice any sounds when they HIT, only when it destroys it. Which by the way is one recommendation I'd make: have some sound every time a bullet hits, in addition to the big explosion when the things actually explode.
Lachie Dazdarian

I think AlexZ was referring to my internet connection.

I'm from Croatia and there is plenty of broadband providers to choose from if...you live in a larger city. Unfortunately the monopoly of our biggest phone company was slowing down the progress of Internet connections in Croatia for quite some time.

Anyway, I live, you could say in country, and I would have to wait for ages to get broadband. Also, I don't have a phone connection at all, which I can get although I don't know how much it would help in the sense of quality Internet connection so I gave up on that. The only alternative solution for me was GlobeSurfer II (with EDGE signal available), which does its work for me more than satisfactory.

I’ll try to tone down my “Bah, this is xx MB big, man!”, but you are aware that I’m an admin at FBGD so I download more than your average John Doe.
vdecampo

New Version Available

Post by vdecampo »

My game is very close to being finished. This latest playable demo incorporates the following additions....

-Free 360 degree rotation
-Player Damage from Enemy Fire
-New Weapons
-New Enemies
-Additional Sound Effects
-Numerous Engine Optimizations

Still need to add Powerups and Mission Goals.

I welcome your constructive criticism. :-)

Cheers
-Vince
Lachie Dazdarian

Ok, I'll download it. Original link?

I just need to wait until I get the last song from Bryter Lyter album. Damn this slow connection.