input error in both FB versions?

Linux specific questions.
griffon

input error in both FB versions?

Post by griffon »

I think i found an error with the input statement.
like if i do this:

Code: Select all

cls
do
input "> ", A$
loop
and hold down enter for a while (like 2 sec) it will spew random numbers and letters across the screen and if I let an input sit for a while and start to type it will do the same...

I have tryed updating but even the new version does the same. :(

Can anybody help?
lillo
Site Admin

Post by lillo »

Ok, there was indeed a problem if the above 4 lines program was executed in vanilla linux console, if certain keys were pressed. This didn't happen if running the app under xterm.
Problem fixed in CVS.
griffon

Post by griffon »

what is CVS ?
griffon

Post by griffon »

oh im running everything in GNOME terminal.
and the problem still exists in xterm. :-(
lillo
Site Admin

Post by lillo »

CVS stands for Concurrent Versioning System, and is a tool to let various developers work on the same shared source code, stored in an unique remote repository (the CVS server). Developers can access the same source using their CVS client, work out modifications and submit them to CVS so that they are immediately available to other developers.
The FreeBASIC project uses the SourceForge (SF for short) CVS service to host its code; that is, all the FB sources are stored on the SF servers for anyone to download them. Downloading the latest CVS snapshot from SF brings to you all the latest modifications the developers did up to the time you took the snapshot. But the version in CVS is not an official release, and should not considered stable; that's why using the current CVS snapshot is usually only recommended if you know what you're doing.
Downloading the CVS snapshot can be done following the instructions on SF:
http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=122342
Be warned that you will need gcc to compile rtlib and gfxlib, plus the FB 0.14 fbc binary to compile the compiler itself.
Aquarius

Post by Aquarius »

I wonder why rtlib and gfxlib aren't written in FB... is it because of speed?
griffon

Post by griffon »

Can somebody take a snapshot of the cvs and give me the llibs and other stuff(already compiled)?
Because i dont think im capable of doing it myself.

Or at least tell me simplisticly what to do to compile all of it and turn it into a version that i can use.
(And also tell me how to install it. (Just so i dont goof up.))

(Also im Running Fedora Core 4 and it does include gcc)
(gcc stuph if needed):
[griffon@Pieistan ~]$ gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: i386-redhat-linux
Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-checking=release --with-system-zlib --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-libgcj-multifile --enable-languages=c,c++,objc,java,f95,ada --enable-java-awt=gtk --with-java-home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.4.2-gcj-1.4.2.0/jre --host=i386-redhat-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.0.0 20050519 (Red Hat 4.0.0-8)
jofers

Post by jofers »

Partly. But also becuase FreeBASIC was originally written from VBDOS, the last version of QB. You can see where platform problems would come into issue if you tried to write a runtime library on a compiler that only produces real-mode dos executables.

Also, it simplifies the task of porting a great deal, I imagine.
griffon

Post by griffon »

can somebody give me their (latest)CVS snapshot? (for linux)
Sisophon2001

Post by Sisophon2001 »

Hi griffon:

A CVS Snapshot is 13MB of files (in tar format) and you still have to build the compiler yourself (actually this is very easy in Linux if you have the development libraries installed).

If I sent you my build of the library files and compiler then they you would still need all the include files. My build might be buggy as I am not a developer and there could easily have been important bug fixes since I last updated. I have no way of knowing, and if there were problems with it, nobody could help you.

It is better to wait until the developers make an interim testing version which are released every couple of weeks. One might be due soon.

Can I suggest you make your own temporary replacement for INPUT until it is fixed? It’s a nice little programming challenge.

Have fun

Garvan