alright, she's alive! i give you The FreeBasic Report!

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
syn9

Post by syn9 »

i am the html builder >D

the graphics were designed for dial up... sort of... the only graphics are a transperant 2x2 pixel gif, and the graphics at the top, all come together to 138k... download showcase images could be another problem, since they show the actual linked image just scaled down.

more than likely what the problem is, if i had to guess, itd be the javascript that fixes the transperant png bug in ie6 and under.

it should only load up if you're using ie, im not sure what aol's browser shows up as. i know they used to use ie for the backbone, but im not sure about that anymore, anyone know?

@cha0s: you're still on dial up right? which service do you use? and do you have any problems loading the site?
jevans4949

Post by jevans4949 »

I'm guessing that AOL 9.0 (which I've now tested on) will be based on IE6, if anything.

AOL 7.0, which I use on my newer machine (!) will be much older.

EDIT: when my daughter finishes playing Sims, I will try with IE6 on that machine.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Site looks great... very syn9-ish. ;)

You might make mention that the icon setting in account profiles expects a URL. I tried putting in the filepath on my HDD expecting it to upload. (Which would be swell, too.)

Also.. I didn't quite understand the poll.. but I voted. heh By the options, do you mean that right now it's displaying the title only and you wonder if it should display the URL underneath?
syn9

Post by syn9 »

right now its just showing the url

i went ahead and changed it to USER ICON URL. thanks for the recommendation. if you look at the page source, there is a commented out upload form. i havent been able to get it working yet, but once it is, there will be upload ability for the icons
cirux

Post by cirux »

Nice work on the site. Looks good. Should help boost the community and FB along nicely.
cha0s
Site Admin

Post by cha0s »

btw, I'm on netzero... It stinks. Your site loads up nicely though. ;)
jevans4949

Post by jevans4949 »

Sorry to harp on about my problem ...

I saved the main page to my hard disk, and was able to re-open it almost intantaneously, both in IE6 and AOL 7.0 browser.

While waiting for the download, CPU use is minimal, so I don't think it's the Java.

I think the problem is the size of the graphics files on the main page. The total is over 500K. The biggest appear to be the screen shots toward the bottom of the page.

EDIT: However, having got over those problems, yes, it's good.
badmrbox

Post by badmrbox »

Great work Syn9 :). Works and looks wonderful.
ikkejw

Post by ikkejw »

Register/Login doesn't seem to work here. When I register, it says 'Account registration successful! Logged In as 'ikkejw'.', but I'm still logged out. And when I try to log in, it gives me 'Invalid Member Name'.
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

ikkejw wrote:Register/Login doesn't seem to work here. When I register, it says 'Account registration successful! Logged In as 'ikkejw'.', but I'm still logged out. And when I try to log in, it gives me 'Invalid Member Name'.
Got yer cookies enabled for that site? :)
syn9

Post by syn9 »

hrm, it should not require cookies to be enabled, but when they are disabled it starts messing up... ill take a look at it. thanks for the bug ikkejw, nodtveidt was having the same problem
Stormy

Post by Stormy »

I think the problem is the size of the graphics files on the main page. The total is over 500K. The biggest appear to be the screen shots toward the bottom of the page.
I made some useful scripts (written in php) for resizing images keeping the right ratio of it. Syn9, if you are interested in these scripts, I could hand you the source (mail: Paul.Grunewald [AT] gmail.com).
syn9

Post by syn9 »

ok, i think i figured out the login thing. you can disable cookies and it should work now. i had a problem with session variables not registering, and i wasnt transfering the session_id when the scripts forced redirection
syn9

Post by syn9 »

there has been several requests for a button for FBR so ive put one together. i think it fits the idea of the site being a place for people to post stuff they find all over the community.

badmrbox

Post by badmrbox »

I just noticed that the first page doesn't work really well with ie. It hangs for me. Good thing I use FF usually.