community news site

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
syn9

community news site

Post by syn9 »

im working on an fb community news website like qbasicnews.com

id like to make it feel more like an ezine though. something that would be ran by public submissions and would not rely on an editor to release it.

heres a link to the mockup:
http://report.freebasic.info/

anyone could post news briefs, write articles (tutorials, open letters, reviews), post a comic, make a poll, or post previews/screenies/downloads of stuff they're working on and have it show up on the showcase bar.

at the begining of the month the page is wiped clean with a new banner/color scheme and the content for the month would be completely filled in by the community. you would also be able to go back through the previous months and see what happened during that time period. basically my main goal is to have a chronicle of what happens within the community. as well as have a common place where people can post updated information on there projects.

instead of searching through forums to find out new stuff people have posted, you could go to the front page and see all the new stuff that happened that month. also, if you are on a forum and see something cool, you could throw a link and screenie in the showcase so that other people, who might not visit that site or forum, can see it too

what do you guys think? are there any options that you'd want to see? is there anything you dont want to see? is this something that you would like to use?
anonymous1337

Post by anonymous1337 »

I'd like someone to steal the domain www.freebasicnews.net from me, that's what I'd like. I like your idea wholy and completely. Sort of what I wanted to do, but the timing was horrible on my part, unfortunately.

^_^;; Some people may tell ya, "The FB community ain't big nuff yet!". If you build it, they shall cometh!
HD_

Post by HD_ »

Sounds like a cool idea, but wiping it every month is probably too quick for this fairly small community (if after a month it does seem to be getting crowded then go for the monthly wipe, otherwise probably hang on a little longer).

Previous articles probably should be viewable by category or something, as well as by monthly release. Otherwise it would be difficult to gain anything from previous articles (especially if you can't find them!).

A simple place to rant, i mean blog would be cool as well- if that isn't pushing it :P And a place to upload files. Lol, now i'm pushing it :P
TheScorp

Post by TheScorp »

The template you made looks great so far syn9!! Very good design as usual coming from you...

A links and download section as well as a search option within the site (probably the Google applet) would be cool too.
Maybe I am pushing too far too :)

Sorry I forgot a last push :)) And a code repository or a link to an existing one, with code by subject or algorithm type :P Let's be crazy while we are...

Z.
Nexinarus

Post by Nexinarus »

sounds cool man.. sorta like a news paper.. heh.
Adigun A. Polack

VERY awesome idea and mock-up, syn9!!!

Post by Adigun A. Polack »

Right up front, my man syn9, you have what could plain well be an excellent alternative for the once awesome QB Express online mag, especially since that other mag there has been slacking off for over 100 painful days, which is a really damn sad shame so far there, really!! :*( With this baby of yours, however, you could VERY WELL revitalize the QB45/QB71/FB community in a truly phenemonal way, just like it was done on your FB Top 50 portal from about a month ago!!! d=^-^=b !!

See you again, and let’s throw this community right back into the spotlight where it belongs!!! (^_-)v
badmrbox

Post by badmrbox »

I like your idea :).
syn9

Post by syn9 »

thanks guys, heres what ive got so far based on your feedback.

instead of wiping clean every month, the front page only shows the content for the last 30 days. but the banner and color scheme will still change every month.

you can view the front page by month, or go to an articles and showcase archive and view by category.
you can upload images and files under your profile. this way you can link to them on other sites or inside your article/showcase item
articles posted like blogs, therfore, you can discuss them in a forum like environment to get feedback.
the showcase will be treated like a download center/code repository.
ability to search the site
and a link page, where anyone can add a link to it.
HD_

Post by HD_ »

I'm drooling, lol ;)
Adigun A. Polack

You are really onto something good!!!

Post by Adigun A. Polack »

Hey, now you’re talking, syn9!!! :D

Boy, with this stuff going on, you *sure* know what you are doing, I must tell you for real!!! ^-^=b !
ElectronicDolphin

Post by ElectronicDolphin »

nice site syn9,

my first freebasic article will be complete in january, will you have your sight going by then ? i'd like to submit.
the name of my first article is "Targeting End-User Rapport".

its time to unfurl the flags and charge Go FreeBasic Go!!

-Jay

syn9

Post by syn9 »

Thanks AAP.

great ElectronicDolphin. thats good to hear. the site will most certainly be done by january. I give it another week as long as i keep working on it a few hours a day.
Stormy

Post by Stormy »

Neato! Please finish this platform asap, syn9. :) If you need assistance for PHP/MySQL/CSS and such stuff, then ask me. I have also some nice articles to show off. ;)