I'm releasing Vector X 2006

User contributed sources that have become inactive, deprecated, or generally unusable. But ... we don't really want to throw them away either.
Lachie Dazdarian

I'm releasing Vector X 2006

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Vector X 2006 is a FreeBASIC port of a relatively unknown QBasic game entitled Vector X, made by Dan McFadyen in 2001.

I stumbled upon the original Vector X while working on QBasic Games Directory. The game featured an excellent(by my opinion) 3D engine, though wire-frame, and solid gameplay. In Vector X you control a space ship with the mouse and avoid/destroy obstacles like mines, space-ships or the very ground. That was the coolest feature of the engine - the ability to destroy the ground(it shifts!). But beside this 3D engine the very game was poorly packed. It was in QB 4.5 source code and could not be compiled, you couldn't exit from the game once you start it, it featured no presentation, mouse controls didn't work in Windows(you couldn't shoot), there was no delay routine in the source, because of an error in the code you couldn't play the last mission, many mistakes in the game story text, etc. A lot of this was a result of QB restrictions while few things obviously a result of haste or lack of time. Initially I made few changes in the code to make the game playable and packed it for QBasic Games Directory, but since I'm still not uploading games for this site this is irrelevant.

Anyway, I had 2-3 free evenings and instead of doing something simple like writing an article or nothing at all I thought why not port some cool but unknown QBasic game to FreeBASIC and highly advance it, Lachie style. :P

So I picked Vector X and after more than a week(mostly working during night, 4-5 hours per day) I completed this port adding bunch of new features. Many nitpicks and last minute changes were done during next few evenings. Due the additions I think this release deserves a slightly modified title - Vector X 2006. And your are right, I did not plan to work on the port this long. :P

So Vector X 2006 is a 3D wire-frame action game in 640*480 resolution, featuring narrow passage looking levels, static and moving enemies, "boss" structures you need to level down, 5 missions with a storyline, sound and music and polished presentation.

Downloads:
Download VectorX_2006.zip (2762 KB)
Download VectorX_2006Lite.zip (no sound version; 880 KB)

Screenshots:
http://fileanchor.com/26766-r.png
http://fileanchor.com/26767-r.png
http://fileanchor.com/26768-r.png

The most important additions/changes are:
* the game was switched from 8 bit color depth to 24 bit(this was not neccesary for the very 3D engine but was beneficial in other aspects)
* added keyboard controls together with the new mouse controls(GFXlib ones)
* complete redesign of non-3D game content(main menu with its background image, options and help, new briefing screen, background images during the missions, new game over screen, end game screen, fade in/fade out effects, high-score feature, ...)
* implemented music and sound effects
* slightly modified the 3D engine as a result of ability to use double buffering and also expanded the lower edge of the scrolling 3D map

I really tried to improve the original as much as it was possible using all that FB provides in this perspective. I also tried no to compromise the original content. I believe I was successful in both of this.

And Dan, if you bump on this thread lemme know what you think. Like if you want to murder me or something.

All in all a nice addition to our production, if I may be so bold. Lemme know what you think people.

Oh yes, you can get the original QBasic version here:
Download vectorx.zip
Screenshots:
http://fileanchor.com/26770-r.gif
http://fileanchor.com/26771-r.gif

P.S.

I wasn't supposed to work on anything during this period but due some not very fortunate events on the college I had to apply one exam again using another deadline(I failed the first time, ok!). This gave me few evenings of free time(a paradox but true). I don't know why am I bothering you people with this. I should just shut up. Like anyone cares when and why I'm not or will be online or why I'm not releasing or will be releasing, or whatever. I need a life. :P
Last edited by Lachie Dazdarian on Jun 06, 2006 6:53, edited 2 times in total.
Lithium

Post by Lithium »

Very nice... I see your trying to stick to the original, but it would be better if the terrain & objects were shaded in, even just flat shaded would do.
Lachie Dazdarian

It's really the restriction of the original. I don't know 3D(yet) so doing something there was not an option.
relsoft

Post by relsoft »

cool port!!!
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

That is cool. I've never even heard of it. :)
jofers

Post by jofers »

Uploaded onto qb45, along with Poxie (I can't believe it took me that long to get that game up there :D)

You can also find the original there too :D
EXIS

Post by EXIS »

He.. he software grafics so perfect.

look this many 3d samples without OpenGL or DirectX only CPU calculation

http://www.majuma.xt.pl - polish majuma site many demos on assembler so perfect :) and couple on C and pascal.

http://www.dworkin.wz.cz - cz site many 3d demos on pascal

if you needed im can send to you perspective texture correctet triangle algorythm on pascal.
Jocke The Beast

Post by Jocke The Beast »

A very professional port. Well done, as always Lachie!
Lachie Dazdarian

jofers, I'm not in the qb45.com news! :(

Anyway, thanx for the upload.

Also, I wouldn't mind a comment from someone who actually played the game to the end.
Lachie Dazdarian

Sorry for bumping this thread but I got feedback from some people that the game runs with speeds up to 80 FPS on their PCs. So I need you to test framerate of Vector X 2006 on your PC if you don't mind. Just press F while playing the game to turn on the FPS counter. You should get 20 FPS since I'm using VSYNC in the main loop. For some reason this is not happening on every PC.

Maybe someone can tell me about the reliability of using VSYNC in the sense of FPS accuracy it gives on different PCs and different program screen sizes.
Dr_D

Post by Dr_D »

60 FPS

WinXP
Sempron 2.1Ghz
512 ram
nVidia 5500FX 256 MB ram
jofers

Post by jofers »

Lachie - Sorry about that. I'll set my mods straight.

EDIT: There you go, front page story + proper linking. Resubmit the download when you update the game and I'll take care of it personally.
Last edited by jofers on Jun 01, 2006 13:41, edited 1 time in total.
Lachie Dazdarian

Uh, why is this happening? Stupid framerate control! VSYNC is not bullet-proof!

I'll have to make an update.

Shoot me.
yetifoot

Post by yetifoot »

I think VSync locks to the monitor refresh rate, so it could be anywhere between 50-150hz, depending on the users setup.
arenth

Post by arenth »

I think VSync locks to the monitor refresh rate, so it could be anywhere between 50-150hz, depending on the users setup.
Your thinking would be correct, however there are come catches, IE if a frame takes longer to process then the current refresh of the monitor, then it will sit and wait the remainder of the time till the next frame, effectively halving the FPS even on a system with a higher refresh rate. So if a monitor has a refresh of 60hz (or 60 cycles per second) and a frame takes 1.5 cycles to process, then your app is going to sit there for 2 cycles. The best solution is not to use vsync, but instead to use either time based anim, or frame cap.