Deleting .exe file when compiling.

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Peter_G

Deleting .exe file when compiling.

Post by Peter_G »

I often experience a very frustrating error when recompiling after editing. System refuses to delete the current ".exe" file before creating a new one - it reports it doesn't have permission to do so!!
If I display the file using Explorer I can delete it from there and then proceed with a compilation. Annoyingly the problem is not always present after a reload of FBide, but eventually reappears permanently. Still using good old Win7 on a Dell E6530. Any ideas on configuring either FBide or Win7 security to get rid of the problem for good?
hhr

Re: Deleting .exe file when compiling.

Post by hhr »

I have this problem with FBEdit. That's why I don't use FBEdit. I get along wonderfully with FBIde. FBIde does not have this problem for me.
Peter_G

Post by Peter_G »

I'm using FBide!! Maybe I should try FBedit. Perhaps S*ds law at work again!!
hhr

Post by hhr »

I have tried to reproduce the problem I had with FBEdit, but have not succeeded.
At the moment FBIde and FBEdit are working fine on my computer.
I am also using Windows 7.
badidea

Post by badidea »

You might be fighting the virus-scanner. Compiling and running on my linux laptop is nearly instantly, at work my windows also terrible experience, especially with 32-bit code, that is suspicious by default for Microsoft.
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

Indeed, most likely an AV issue. Might be worth tell the AV to make an exception of the folder where the executable created during a 'Quick run' is located.
Peter_G

Post by Peter_G »

I managed to find a foolproof way of getting past the problem by scrolling up and down through my Freebasic programmes directory. Tedious, but it works every time when the problem occurs.

As a side issue I gave FBedit a try - jeez!! that's a complicated IDE, and the help files didn't do much to educate me on the details of using the programme. I managed to get my current .bas application to compile OK but couldn't get any screen operations to work when I tried running the code. Obviously I missing something fundamental here - is there an idiots guide to the IDE somewhere?
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

Peter_G wrote: May 25, 2024 8:33 ...
As a side issue I gave FBedit a try - jeez!! that's a complicated IDE, and the help files didn't do much to educate me on the details of using the programme. I managed to get my current .bas application to compile OK but couldn't get any screen operations to work when I tried running the code. Obviously I missing something fundamental here - is there an idiots guide to the IDE somewhere?
Been using FbEdit for years now; never had any kind of issue. What do you mean with 'any screen operations didn't work'? Can you elaborate/put some test code here for review?
Peter_G

Post by Peter_G »

paul doe wrote: May 25, 2024 12:33 Been using FbEdit for years now; never had any kind of issue. What do you mean with 'any screen operations didn't work'? Can you elaborate/put some test code here for review?
Sorry - sloppy use of language, what I meant to say was that "print" commands did not appear to work on my Win7 laptop.

However, I installed FBedit on a second Dell 6530 running Win10 and repeated the exercise. This time the program compiled and screen output appeared as expected - albeit incorrectly sized. I'm using screen mode 21 to leave plenty of room for debug print commands. Probably a display set up difference between the two nominally identical laptops.

Happy to share the code with you if only I knew how to attach files to this post - can't find an icon to allow that to happen.