File protected by Norton Data Protector - New User

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
brileyh

File protected by Norton Data Protector - New User

Post by brileyh »

New forum user here....

I last converted my 1981 Chess program (Univac 1100 Fortran) using FreeBasic in 2014 for 32bit Windows (W7 and Win10) Ran just fine, But it would not run on 64bit Win10. Years fly by. I have interest this week in making my ancient Chess program run on 64-bit Win11. During debugging, finally got all my passed-back integers as ByRef (totally confused me most of the day why the variables were not being passed back to the calling module!!) ... and thought whoo-hoo ... time to actually test the program and work out the remaining hidden gotchas.

I get this Norton message after entering my first chess move and it points to my freshly compiled Chess program.
"Suspicious process attempted to modify security attributes of a file protected by Data Protector
Target: C:\ProgramData\Microsift\Windows\WER\Temp\80e86590-b363-4aed-82b6-f433da71ef0f "

I tried two FB editors and got the same execution error (I like both of these IDE tools):
WinFBE - Programmer's Code Editor for the FreeBASIC Compiler
Copyright (C) 2016-2022 Paul Squires, PlanetSquires Software
FreeBASIC editor (C) KetilO 2009
radasmide@hotmail.com

I have these two include files (as was required for the 32-bit version of my Chess program back in 2014:
#Include "windows.bi"
#include "win\mmsystem.bi"

I hope it is something simple that I am missing. I'd hate to pass the Chess revision to my friends if Norton will flag it as being a problem.
angros47

Re: File protected by Norton Data Protector - New User

Post by angros47 »

Welcome to the forum

It is impossible to help you without the source code of your program. A possible issue could be a variable referenced as INTEGER and as LONG in different spots (in 32 bit mode INTEGER and LONG are the same data type, in 64 bit mode no)
brileyh

Post by brileyh »

Fascinating. I just checked the code and have no LONG keywords at all. However, your note means I need to put in checkpoints to find the failing subroutine as other very simple routines are working fine. I will check for mismatched declarations as well. You have given me hope that the FB source code has no trojan horses injecting into my .exe executable. That was my worry.
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

brileyh wrote: May 24, 2024 18:54 ...
You have given me hope that the FB source code has no trojan horses injecting into my .exe executable. That was my worry.
Highly unlikely, since the executable is created from scratch every time you do a 'quickrun' from the editors (most AVs barf at this).

What you can do to avoid these messages is to put all your projects/code into their own separate folder (ie away from the ones Windows use; mine is C:\Programming for example), and then exclude that folder from the AV. Needless to say, you shouldn't ever run anything besides your own compiled code from that folder.