Windows update - FBide no longer works

General FreeBASIC programming questions.
Flyzone

Windows update - FBide no longer works

Post by Flyzone »

Microsoft auto-updated my computer with "2023-08 Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB4023057)" on 9/5/2023. Today, I rebooted my computer for the first time since then and found that FBide no longer works due to "...the application was unable to start correctly (0x...142)". Simple things like rebooting, running the app in Admin mode did not cure the problem. Has anyone else experienced this or know how to resolve this issue?
pidd

Re: Windows update - FBide no longer works

Post by pidd »

Presumably Windows still has compatibility modes? Not they ever do anything for the programs I really need them for.
fxm

Post by fxm »

You can try updating the mingwm10.dll file used by FBIde.
Check out my post below which resolved a similar issue sometimes encountered with Windows 10 and Windows 7 earlier:
fxm wrote: Jun 25, 2021 9:28 I confirm (seen today with Win 10) that the execution attempt of FBIde can abort (rarely) due to the old mingwm10.dll file included in the FBIde download.
The fix is to replace this old file with a newer one, as described below by Sebastian:
Sebastian wrote:Hello,

I saw the issue on a Windows 7 x64 PC recently.

In that case the problem was related to the obviously very old "mingwm10.dll" included with the FBIDE download. I downloaded a newer version of the DLL from the MingW sourceforge site and replaced FBIDE's "mingwm10.dll" with the file of the same name contained in the download ("bin" subfolder):

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/ ... z/download

In my case it looks like this:

Moreover, make sure to have the MSVCRT runtime library installed. (Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable)

Best regards,
Sebastian

PS: Usage of the approach at one's own risk! No warranty and liability!
fxm wrote:
fxm wrote:I am with Win7 on my professional PC.
Often, I get a similar error message (error 0xc0000005), at any FBIde execution attempt (versions 0.4, 0.4.3, 0.4.6) after a PC boot.
Generally, closing then opening a new Windows session is sufficient to solve the problem, but sometimes a full reboot is required.
Remark: by cons, the oldest version "FBIde v0.3.3a" is always working!
Now with Win 10, I very rarely have such an error message when launching FBIde with Win10.
The next time I get it, I will exchange the 2 mingwm10.dll files without restarting the computer, to test your solution.
Flyzone

Post by Flyzone »

Thanks for this.

I did replace the dll with a file from dlldll.com since I could not sort out the mingw website. I found versions that looked like they wanted to install companion software so I looked elsewhere.

It didn't work - same message. I did not also install the Visual C++ lib (oh geez, where is that) per Sebastian's note so I'm not sure if that's required to make this dll work or not but will go looking for that ...

Maybe it's time to try another editor ... but that's like switching my iPhone to an Android.

UPDATE...
ok. Got it to work by just rebooting my computer. Maybe that dll is cached? Whatever, it's working now. Since I was reinstalling, I updated the compiler, also had to renter compiler and source file paths etc. so I'm not all that positive which of these changes fixed the problem.

Thanks again.
fxm

Post by fxm »

I extracted the mingwm10.dll file (from the downloaded mingwrt-3.18-mingw32-dll.tar.gz file) by using 7-Zip.
I use presently this dll version:
size: 23.5 KB (24 110 bytes)
date: ‎07/03/2010 04:31

Indeed, your problem may not be solved:
fxm wrote: Jul 23, 2017 12:24 I am with Win7 on my professional PC.
Often, I get a similar error message (error 0xc0000005), at any FBIde execution attempt (versions 0.4, 0.4.3, 0.4.6) after a PC boot.
Generally, closing then opening a new Windows session is sufficient to solve the problem, but sometimes a full reboot is required.
Remark: by cons, the oldest version "FBIde v0.3.3a" is always working!
But in any case, now with this dll, I have not had any problems for 2 years.
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

hello Flyzone, you may want to run the compatibility troubleshooter and try the recommended settings, if it doesn't work the first time then keep trying the troubleshooter
somehow I got it working on my PC but don't know the exact steps, I tried it on a Windows 11 VM but there were no problems there
Flyzone

Post by Flyzone »

fxm wrote: Sep 09, 2023 4:48 Indeed, your problem may not be solved:
OK. I found out the DLL I downloaded was identical to the old one that was there and that has been working. I'm not sure why and how it worked since it didn't previously. However I followed the same procedure as you and reinstalled it so I now have the identical one that you refer to. All seems well for now. Ooops ... haven't rebooted ...

OK. Rebooted and all seems ok.

Thanks.
Flyzone

Post by Flyzone »

srvaldez wrote: Sep 09, 2023 12:33 somehow I got it working on my PC but don't know the exact steps, I tried it on a Windows 11 VM but there were no problems there
I stuck with FXM's process and everything appears to be ok. Thanks.
Flyzone

Post by Flyzone »

Flyzone wrote: Sep 11, 2023 3:17
OK. I found out the DLL I downloaded was identical to the old one that was there and that has been working. I'm not sure why and how it worked since it didn't previously. However I followed the same procedure as you and reinstalled it so I now have the identical one that you refer to. All seems well for now. Ooops ... haven't rebooted ...

Thanks.

p.s. why doesn't someone update that DLL in the FBide download?
fxm

Post by fxm »

Flyzone wrote: Sep 11, 2023 3:26
Flyzone wrote: Sep 11, 2023 3:17

Thanks.

p.s. why doesn't someone update that DLL in the FBide download?

I tried !
See the following posts:
viewtopic.php?p=283927#p283927
viewtopic.php?p=290661#p290661
viewtopic.php?p=290674#p290674
viewtopic.php?p=290675#p290675
viewtopic.php?p=290749#p290749
viewtopic.php?p=290847#p290847
viewtopic.php?p=290850#p290850
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

I downloaded FBIde 0.4.6r4 from https://www.freebasic-portal.de/downloa ... d-195.html and did not replace any DLL, it worked after troubleshooting
[edit]
it seemed to me that Windows 11 will automatically try to resolve compatibility issues without the user invoking the troubleshooter, the user simply needs to answer the question, "did the application run ok?"
if you answer no then it will try different settings, changing the DLL probably had no part in making fbide run ok
Flyzone

Post by Flyzone »

I actually did all that before I wrote the post but none of that worked for me.
Flyzone

Post by Flyzone »

Sorry to drag you through all this again then. You must have a large deja vu file.
shadow008

Post by shadow008 »

I don't have anything really to add to the conversation but I have had this exact same issue. Right now, FBide works on windows 11 Home 10.0.22621 build 22621. FBide was not working on whatever previous version windows was on. I did nothing and it fixed itself (which is a very Windows(tm) way to fix things). I even ended up switching to poseidonFB in the meantime.