DOS Editor

DOS specific questions.
NorbyDroid

DOS Editor

Post by NorbyDroid »

Not sure how many, besides myself, that uses DOS to create freebasic programs, but I thought I would share some information that may help others.

There is an editor for DOS called Pedit (Program Editor)
http://www.edm2.com/index.php/Pedit

Although no bells and whistles like Syntax Highlighting, it is still a really good editor over the normal DOS edit.com program.

One advantage also which is quite nice is PedBatch.bat (Alt-F9).

Create or edit PedBatch.bat to have freebasic compile you code and even run it. After your done it returns back to the editor. Press the key combination above to execute the batch file.

Press F1 for a list of options. For those, like me, who does mainly text-based (or also called console) programs it has some greate tables to view that is quite handy. ASCII codesw, easy to to use Box character codes, and language ASCII codes.

I find myself usin FreeBasic in DOS more now that I have been usin this editor. Enjoy and happy coding to y’all.
srvaldez

Re: DOS Editor

Post by srvaldez »

hello NorbyDroid :)
nice tip
I would experiment with DOS more often but being limited to the tiny 80 x 25 screen kills me
NorbyDroid

Post by NorbyDroid »

srvaldez wrote: Apr 13, 2023 14:38 hello NorbyDroid :)
nice tip
I would experiment with DOS more often but being limited to the tiny 80 x 25 screen kills me
Well, that all depends. As far as editing and usin DOS default screen and just text, yes it is 80x25 or even 80x30 and I believe 80x50 is also available but haven’t tried that.

I know the PB editor has more than 25 lines.

As far as graphics ya only limited by the video ram and video card. Ya can use higher resolutions than screen 0.

Personally I love DOS because I can actually see and type in DOS and in Windows and linux not so easily because the text is just too small. Of course there is always DosBox and other DOS emulators in Linux and Windows too. I mainly work on a DOS laptop that is (crazy) triple boot DOS, XP, and Linux. Best of all worlds.

Even woth all the limitations and all DOS continues to be my most used OS for programming.
marcov

Post by marcov »

Most Vesa cards afaik go up to 132x60, with ATI cards said to be the exception.
caseih

Post by caseih »

NorbyDroid wrote: Apr 13, 2023 16:24Personally I love DOS because I can actually see and type in DOS and in Windows and linux not so easily because the text is just too small. Of course there is always DosBox and other DOS emulators in Linux and Windows too. I mainly work on a DOS laptop that is (crazy) triple boot DOS, XP, and Linux. Best of all worlds.

Even woth all the limitations and all DOS continues to be my most used OS for programming.
Yeah if you're using a Debian-based distro the default console font is tiny and leaves a lot to be desired. You can change it to be more like the old DOS font, or to any bitmap font: https://www.linux.com/topic/desktop/how ... ole-fonts/. I typically use the Fedora default font, which is "eurlatgr" strangely enough. Eurlatgr seems to be the equivalent of the old 9x16 VGA font, for the Linux virtual console.

Also the default terminal application fonts on most distros I don't care for. I usually like something a bit heavier. For years I've used the "Less Perfect DOS VGA" font in my terminal on Linux from this site: https://laemeur.sdf.org/fonts/. you can download it, then double-click it and have your distro desktop install the font for you. Pretty easy. At 12 pt, it's dot-for-dot the same as the 9x16 IBM DOS VGA font. I find the good old IBM VGA font to be so much easier on the eyes than many of the terminal fonts people use in Linux today. Something about the weight of the font is incredibly pleasant, even at higher resolutions where the font is smaller but still readable. Pretty much makes my terminals look like dosbox since dosbox uses its own version of the same font.

Stealing a link to his screenshot:
On Windows you can change the font and size in the console. And if you use the new MS Windows Terminal app, it's quite easy to change the font just like you would in any Linux terminal.
NorbyDroid

Post by NorbyDroid »

caseih wrote: Apr 14, 2023 13:37
NorbyDroid wrote: Apr 13, 2023 16:24Personally I love DOS because I can actually see and type in DOS and in Windows and linux not so easily because the text is just too small. Of course there is always DosBox and other DOS emulators in Linux and Windows too. I mainly work on a DOS laptop that is (crazy) triple boot DOS, XP, and Linux. Best of all worlds.

Yeah if you're using a Debian-based distro the default console font is tiny and leaves a lot to be desired. You can change it to be more like the old DOS font, or to any bitmap font: https://www.linux.com/topic/desktop/how ... ole-fonts/. I typically use the Fedora default font, which is "eurlatgr" strangely enough. Eurlatgr seems to be the equivalent of the old 9x16 VGA font, for the Linux virtual console.

Also the default terminal application fonts on most distros I don't care for. I usually like something a bit heavier. For years I've used the "Less Perfect DOS VGA" font in my terminal on Linux from this site: https://laemeur.sdf.org/fonts/. you can download it, then double-click it and have your distro desktop install the font for you. Pretty easy. At 12 pt, it's dot-for-dot the same as the 9x16 IBM DOS VGA font. I find the good old IBM VGA font to be so much easier on the eyes than many of the terminal fonts people use in Linux today. Something about the weight of the font is incredibly pleasant, even at higher resolutions where the font is smaller but still readable. Pretty much makes my terminals look like dosbox since dosbox uses its own version of the same font.

Stealing a link to his screenshot:
On Windows you can change the font and size in the console. And if you use the new MS Windows Terminal app, it's quite easy to change the font just like you would in any Linux terminal.
Thanks for the info and I will have to check it out, especially the info for Linux. In Windows and Linux I enjoy DOSBox-x it has easy to see fonts, especiually full screen.