Wiki improvements

Forum for discussion about the documentation project.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Re: Wiki improvements

Post by coderJeff »

@misterc, thank-you for tracking the improvements. I haven't done anything new since my last post, so it's good to see improvement on the rankings; not specifically because I am interested in rankings - rather because I want users to find the most relevant information. If a another provider served up to date content and ranked higher than www.freebasic.net/wiki, I'd be happy with that also. I haven't lost track of your other suggestions, just limited time to work on them. (I really need a web developer interested in our project to join on; I am a hack at best, lol).
fxm

Post by fxm »

@Jeff,

Last changes - New getters for SCREENCONTROL:

Code: Select all

+		GET_SCANLINE_SIZE           = 17, _
+		_
+		GET_GL_COLOR_BITS           = 37, _
+		GET_GL_COLOR_RED_BITS       = 38, _
+		GET_GL_COLOR_GREEN_BITS     = 39, _
+		GET_GL_COLOR_BLUE_BITS      = 40, _
+		GET_GL_COLOR_ALPHA_BITS     = 41, _
+		GET_GL_DEPTH_BITS           = 42, _
+		GET_GL_STENCIL_BITS         = 43, _
+		GET_GL_ACCUM_BITS           = 44, _
+		GET_GL_ACCUM_RED_BITS       = 45, _
+		GET_GL_ACCUM_GREEN_BITS     = 46, _
+		GET_GL_ACCUM_BLUE_BITS      = 47, _
+		GET_GL_ACCUM_ALPHA_BITS     = 48, _
+		GET_GL_NUM_SAMPLES          = 49, _
+		_
+		GET_GL_2D_MODE              = 82, _
+		GET_GL_SCALE                = 83
Except for 'GET_SCANLINE_SIZE', where can I find information about other new getters above to update the SCREENCONTROL documentation page (for 'GET_GL_*' line and '[OUT] param1' line) ?
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

Screen Control page has descriptions under the SET_GL_* options. The new GET_GL_* options read back the values of the setters. For example new GET_GL_COLOR_BITS option reads back the value set by existing option SET_GL_COLOR_BITS.
fxm

Post by fxm »

Thanks.
Sorry for not noticing this myself!
This must be due to the heat because we are here in France at a peak heat wave (40°C announced for this afternoon).

[edit]
Update done now.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

misterc wrote: May 31, 2022 22:38 Sharing some random thoughts as I look over the uh, competition...
  • Google tends to reward sites that users prefer to navigate. So my thoughts go to making the Wiki really simple to navigate, and I wonder if some kind of regular navigation menu up top, between title and wikicrumbs menu, might be appropriate for both new users and Google. This taxonomy/layout is terrific and maybe a short form of that in a menu or just some basic links in that style in the header could be helpful.
  • Along those lines, it seems to make some intuitive sense to place a link back to freebasic.net somewhere. It's the top level of the site and I wanted to be able to reach it as I was browsing around today, but it wasn't obvious how.
  • A subheading like "The most up-to-date FreeBasic help documentation on the web" could really be worth adding, in order to pick up users who want to understand the broader context and fit into it as best they can, for learning purposes. And where users go, Google wants to follow.
  • Does the DB give you an idea of things like most popular pages? I am thinking that could yield some really quick wins for users who are just learning, or for repeat visitors, and Google would probably notice the results in a variety of ways.
Couple things trying out:
- Instead of "Categories" link (we don't use that feature on this wiki), I replaced with "DocToc" link which gives a useful link in a prominent position.
- Turned on the "breadcrumbs" feature. This works a little different than I would have expected, but does add an easy way to get back to the last 5 pages.
- The DB doesn't track most viewed pages, so that would have to be added.
SARG

Post by SARG »

The return value for SGN function is wrongly declared in the doc

Declare Function Sgn ( ByVal number As Integer ) As Integer
Declare Function Sgn ( ByVal number As LongInt ) As LongInt
Declare Function Sgn ( ByVal number As Double ) As Double
However is always a LONG.

dim as longint lint=-9
dim as long lng=-9
dim as short sht=-9
dim as byte byt=-9
dim as uinteger uintg=-90
dim as double dbl=-90
#print typeof(sgn(lint))
#print typeof(sgn(lng))
#print typeof(sgn(sht))
#print typeof(sgn(byt))
#print typeof(sgn(uintg))
#print typeof(sgn(dbl))

sleep
fxm

Post by fxm »

SARG wrote: Jun 23, 2022 8:48 The return value for SGN function is wrongly declared in the doc

Declare Function Sgn ( ByVal number As Integer ) As Integer
Declare Function Sgn ( ByVal number As LongInt ) As LongInt
Declare Function Sgn ( ByVal number As Double ) As Double
However is always a LONG.

This is the case with 'gcc (32-bit and 64-bit)' and 'gas64 (64-bit)', but not with 'gas (32-bit)'. This explains the contents of the current documentation.

@Jeff,
I think the behavior with 'gcc' and 'gas64' (always a LONG) makes the most sense for such an SGN keyword.
SARG

Post by SARG »

fxm wrote: Jun 23, 2022 9:11 This is the case with 'gcc (32-bit and 64-bit)' and 'gas64 (64-bit)', but not with 'gas (32-bit)'
So almost always :D Thanks for the precision.
fxm wrote: Jun 23, 2022 9:11 I think the behavior with 'gcc' and 'gas64' (always a LONG) makes the most sense for such an SGN keyword.
I'll look in the source code maybe not a hard change.

By the way trying to get the sign of boolean throws an error. I understand why, not a problem. Maybe a note in doc.

dim as boolean bln
print sgn(bln)
print sgn(boolean)
sleep

error 24: Invalid data types in 'print sgn(bln)'
error 9: Expected expression, found 'boolean' in 'print sgn(boolean)'
fxm

Post by fxm »

KeyPgSgn → fxm [only unsigned numbers of size greater than or equal to SizeOf(Any Ptr) are treated as if they were signed]
fxm

Post by fxm »

SARG wrote: Jun 23, 2022 9:53 By the way trying to get the sign of boolean throws an error. I understand why, not a problem. Maybe a note in doc.

A boolean is not a numeric type.
Extract from SGN:
The required number argument can be any valid numeric expression.
fxm

Post by fxm »

speedfixer

Post by speedfixer »

I like to keep a local copy of the wiki for reference. Faster. Keeps traffic down, etc.
A slightly stale version is OK, but too old and then I start asking stupid questions, fighting demons that aren't there.
I just updated to the latest stw build, and want to bring current/keep current with my code.

Where would a CURRENT - Version 1.10.0 (2022-06-24) - html version be available for downloading?

or ...

I was looking at how to create my own from the docs.
I see the 'cache' folder and contents, and instructions in the 'fbdoc' repo.

Also, the 'cache' folder @https://github.com/freebasic/fbc/tree/m ... nual/cache tells me:
Sorry, we had to truncate this directory to 1,000 files. 136 entries were omitted from the list.

I'm not eager to battle making my own docs, but would if I have to.

Is forking the only/proper way to get the correct set of files? I can do that, if needed.

Or maybe I am completely missing something on how to use the fbdoc program.

No rush.

This might be a good topic for fxm to fill in the gaps with a tutorial.

david
adeyblue

Post by adeyblue »

You found the right place, you just need to put all the bits together.

Clone/update your local repo with your installed git or download a zip from github (click the code tab and then the green 'code' button)

Run make fbdoc in the doc/fbdoc directory You'll probably only have to do this once ever.

Then run
fbdoc -usecache -chm
to generate the HTML files.

Et Viola!

The fbdoc command line is documented in the fbdoc readme under the 'Building the CHM from Git Repository' heading. If you have no truck with CHM files, that section is also the first mention of HTML in that readme.
That you have to use fbdoc at all is mentioned as the first point of the manual readme under the 'Manually packaging an FB manual release' heading.

Besides, don't St_w's builds come with bleeding-edge manuals? Just grab it from here. It's contents update every day the wiki does. You can get HTML Help readers for *nix
https://users.freebasic-portal.de/stw/b ... manual.chm
speedfixer

Post by speedfixer »

His builds usually only have a chm and a fbc.1

While I could use the chm if I had to, I usually just load the html and use a shorcut. Easy to load multiple pages that way, also.
Everything is on a server in the garage; I work on any of several workstations in the house.
No extra programs to load/run per machine/OS.

Can't get into Github at the moment.
No rush.

Thanks.
SARG

Post by SARG »

A fbc's user reported me that he has wasted time when trying to use __FB_ARGC__. He was thinking that it was only the number of arguments of the executable but in fact the program itself is also counted.

To avoid the confusion I would suggest to add a precision something like 'including executable name' to the sentence 'Substituted with the number of arguments passed in on the command line.'

And an example

For example : myprogram parm1,parm2,param3  --> __FB_ARGC__ = 4