WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (V3.1.0 June 4, 2023)

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
Tourist Trap

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (Updated March 25, 2019)

Post by Tourist Trap »

Thanks for new version.
Pim Scheffers

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (Updated March 25, 2019)

Post by Pim Scheffers »

Hello,

A few questions:
I am still having trouble getting the auto indentation to behave properly.
I have set the TAB width to 4 and left auto indent on.

nested if, else .... select, case statements jump all over the place in the editor after hitting enter on the previous line.
I have also noticed that the the result looks fine in the editor (after correction) but looks like scrambled eggs :-) in the final .bas file.
Another perculiar thing is that back-spacing a full TAB does not always work. Often I have to backspace 4 spaces (even if I am sure the the previous character is a TAB)

I never had these issues with FBIde and I have not changed my workflow in any way.
I am not trying to sound negative as I am very pleased with the overall product, but how can I let it behave properly?

A few examples:

in the editor:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArvnuLSK5obmgq4QmzDAK8yESvn5Kg

in the txt file:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArvnuLSK5obmgq4PRA53B0aCyezHpA
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Hi Paul. I don't want to be a nuisance but I cannot help it. <smile> gcc 8.3 (regression fixes & docs only) hit the streets on 22 Feb 2019 and the 8.2 stable came out 26 July 2018. With 8.1 I have code which compiles but does not work, so I am having to fall back on 5.2 used in FB's 1.06 release. I have no idea where to find an 8.2 that can be used in WinFBE.
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

hello deltarho[1859]
I built fb with gcc-9.1 and it works ok when used within the gcc-toolchain, but the standalone version gives undefined symbols, I hacked the 32-bit standalone version by replacing init.o in libfb.a with the same object from the latest build by StW and also using StW's libmingw32.a, the few tests that I did worked ok, if you are interested I can upload it for you.
forget about the 64-bit standalone version, too many undefined symbols, however when used within the gcc-toolchain everything works ok.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Hi srvaldez

I am not that au fait with compiler terminology, what do you mean by "when used within the gcc-toolchain"?
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

@deltarho[1859]
in the new release page on this forum, you have standalone versions for Windows and also a version that you install in a mingw toolchain
it makes it very handy to have FB in the gcc-toolchain to build new FB releases.
I am almost finished with the win64 build with gcc-8.3, but got distracted looking for a VM with 686-gcc-8.3, sadly only have gcc-7.4
and then this offer to upgrade to Windows 1903 showed on my updates, so I am upgrading.
the win64 build looks promising, no undefined symbols, just need to finish updating some more libraries and then, if all looks good I will post a download link for you, but right now I am waiting on the updates to finish.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

@srvaldez

Thanks for the explanation.

I got your pm about 8.3 but accidentally deleted it - pressed the wrong key - senile decay setting in. <smile>

"if all looks good I will post a download link for you"

That would be great!
PaulSquires

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (Updated August 25, 2019)

Post by PaulSquires »

NEW VERSION RELEASE

Version 1.9.2 (August 25, 2019)
- CHANGED: TOO MANY VISUAL DESIGNER CHANGES TO LIST
- Added: Language translation for Brazilian-Portuguese by Marco Pimenta (mvpimenta).
- Added: "Frac", "Date", "Format" keywords to editor syntax highlighting.
- Fixed: Controls property "BorderStyle" not correctly set when dynamically applying WindowStyle and WindowExStyle.
- Fixed: "Visible" property of controls reported the "Enabled" value after control was created.
- Fixed: Label controls could lose their OwnerDraw abilities if visibility was toggled.
- Fixed: Changing selected Build Configuration via F7 dialog did not set the correct build in combobox in the main toolbar.
- Fixed: Random GPF when adding Form files via the "Add Files to Project" menu option.

Download this release from: https://github.com/PaulSquires/WinFBE/releases
deltarho[1859]

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (Updated August 25, 2019)

Post by deltarho[1859] »

@PaulSquires

Hi Paul

I have written a small application which changes the compiler paths programtically but must be run before WinFBE is opened. If WinFBE read the compiler paths before each compilation then I could add my little application as a tool allowing us to change compiler paths 'on the fly'. There is currently some interest in having more than one compiler build and being able to switch between them without closing WinFBE will increase WinFBE's power.

Would you consider this?
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

deltarho[1859] wrote:@PaulSquires

Would you consider this?
No problem at all. I modified the WinFBE source and now before the compile starts a call is made to reload the config file. I have no idea if it will work for your scenario because I have pretty much done zero testing of it (smile).

If you have downloaded the latest WinFBE then all you need to do is download the following rar archive and extract the two exe's and overwrite your existing WinFBE exe's. http://www.planetsquires.com/files/WinF ... config.rar

Hope it works!
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Oh boy!

Thanks Paul. Yes it works. I compiled and ran a small piece of code with one compiler build. Ran my little application and changed to another compiler build whilst WinFBE was still open and then compiled and ran again. It was clear from the Output Window that different compiler builds were being used.

So all I need do now is to add my little application as a WinFBE tool. Being able to change compiler builds 'on the fly' as opposed to closing WinFBE, running my application and then opening WinFBE again are worlds apart.

Absolutely brilliant. Thanks again.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

PaulSquires wrote:I modified the WinFBE source and now before the compile starts a call is made to reload the config file.
Hi Paul

Do you intend implementing the above modification in the next release of WinFBE?

I have two reasons for asking: If not then that will break my SetCompilerPaths; I have another tool in mind which will make life a lot easier for users.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

deltarho[1859] wrote:
Do you intend implementing the above modification in the next release of WinFBE?
Yes, the change is built into the source code and will remain there for all future releases.

If CodeJeff`s approach becomes one where multiple toolchains are included in the official FB releases then I will re-think the design of the compiler path setups dialog and maybe add a way to allow multiple paths to somewhat mirror the functionality of your utility.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

PaulSquires wrote:Yes, the change is built into the source code and will remain there for all future releases.
Magic!
maybe add a way to allow multiple paths to somewhat mirror the functionality of your utility.
That sounds good.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

@PaulSquires

Hi Paul

If you have time would you look at this post.

Thanks.