iup library

Windows specific questions.
deltarho[1859]

iup library

Post by deltarho[1859] »

I have iup.bi in inc\IUP but I cannot find a library in lib\win32. Searching I can see versions for Linux but none for Windows.

Does anyone know where I can get the library associated with iup.bi?
Kuan Hsu

Re: iup library

Post by Kuan Hsu »

deltarho[1859] wrote:I have iup.bi in inc\IUP but I cannot find a library in lib\win32. Searching I can see versions for Linux but none for Windows.

Does anyone know where I can get the library associated with iup.bi?
From SourceForge
https://sourceforge.net/projects/iup/fi ... s/Dynamic/
iup-3.27_Win32_dllw6_lib.zip
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Ha, ha - we meet again. I didn't want to take up any more of your time.

Anyway, I downloaded the zip. I saw that there was a bunch of 'a' files and dlls. When I tried to compile main.bas I was getting 'cannot find -liup' so I put a copy of libiup.a into "C:\Program Files (x86)\FreeBASIC\lib\win32". I still get 'cannot find -liup'. So I renamed the file to libiup.dll.a and I still get 'cannot find -liup'.

What am I doing wrong?
Kuan Hsu

Post by Kuan Hsu »

deltarho[1859] wrote:Ha, ha - we meet again. I didn't want to take up any more of your time.

Anyway, I downloaded the zip. I saw that there was a bunch of 'a' files and dlls. When I tried to compile main.bas I was getting 'cannot find -liup' so I put a copy of libiup.a into "C:\Program Files (x86)\FreeBASIC\lib\win32". I still get 'cannot find -liup'. So I renamed the file to libiup.dll.a and I still get 'cannot find -liup'.

What am I doing wrong?
Use -p ThePathWheretheIUPlibis
If using poseidonFB:
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

In iup.bi we have #inclib "iup". Why isn't that enough?

I take -p to be a command switch - for what?

I don't have a path ./lib.iup/iup327x32.

<confused>
Kuan Hsu

Post by Kuan Hsu »

deltarho[1859] wrote:In iup.bi we have #inclib "iup". Why isn't that enough?

I take -p to be a command switch - for what?

I don't have a path ./lib.iup/iup327x32.

<confused>
https://www.freebasic.net/wiki/wikka.ph ... mpilerOptp
The path is where my libiup.a is....
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

@deltarho[1859]
all you really need is iup.dll, just place the dll where your program resides, fbc will link against the dll
this approach is good for testing, but I would rather make an import lib of iup.dll and place it in the lib folder.
or you could instead of an import lib place a copy of iup.dll in the lib folder, of course, your program still needs to be able to find the dll at runtime.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Thanks guys, I finally got there. Blimey, that was torturous!

It is quite a while since I did anything with static libraries and had forgotten the concepts. I decided not to write any coming to the same conclusion as José Roca and simply include source code. Of those that I did write all the binaries suffered a performance hit compared with source code inclusion.

With Kuan Hsu's cPathPlugin.7z download we have .poseidon, cPathPlugin.dll, libcPathPlugin.dll.a and main.bas. Main.bas should have been called cPathPlugin.bas. Image

@Kuan Hsu

What I now have is 'Set compiler paths' in the 'Set Custom Tools...', 'Compilers' in the title and SetCompilerPaths.ini. I have been looking at cPathPlugin.bas (main.bas). That is a new way to write GUI's for me but it looks like a steep learning curve so will stay with my usual approach.

Thanks again, both.