"A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Feb 2019 –Mar 2019) - Round 2

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Lachie Dazdarian

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Feb 2019 –Mar 2019) - Round 2

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

One week to go.

Who plans to submit a finished entry?

Looking rather slim so far. Only 2. 2>0, nevertheless...
Tourist Trap

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Feb 2019 –Mar 2019) - Round 2

Post by Tourist Trap »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:One week to go.

I don't plan anything. During the week I cant make any coding those days. Monday 22th in France at least there is a no work day. If this is also true for the others, what about pushing the ending day to the April 23th 00h00?
Lachie Dazdarian

Tourist Trap wrote:

I don't plan anything. During the week I cant make any coding those days. Monday 22th in France at least there is a no work day. If this is also true for the others, what about pushing the ending day to the April 23th 00h00?
I need more feedback for another extension. Too many people who promised to participate are either silent or completely AWOL. A bit frustrating (lack of feedback so close to the end).
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:
Tourist Trap wrote:

I need more feedback for another extension. Too many people who promised to participate are either silent or completely AWOL. A bit frustrating (lack of feedback so close to the end).
I'm preparing something. Will do my best to present a finished entry. I had to switch the genre since the SVG rendering backend is taking me more time than I originally anticipated. My original entry was going to be a SHMUP, but Landeel came in first. So, I went back to the original idea but with another focus, a free-roaming SHMUP (kinda like Raid on Bungeling Bay) were the levels are actually FreeBasic source code. We'll see what I can come up with ;)

Some screenshots of what I'm working in ATM:
Image Image

I can however use what I have from the SVG backend to do 2D polygonal work, so this is going to help a lot. I had to code a texture atlas generator, however (I've lost the one I had). So, I'm working as fast as I can to present something, though a little more time doesn't hurt. I'm truly sorry for the delay ='(
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:I need more feedback for another extension. Too many people who promised to participate are either silent or completely AWOL. A bit frustrating (lack of feedback so close to the end).
May as well give them all the time they need as nothing else is happening in the FreeBasic Game programming world.
Lachie Dazdarian

That isn't practical. When does it end then? When the last finishes? I mean, doesn't make sense.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

Well I course I didn't mean forever, just I guess how much time they think they need?
So I guess if they can't get it done in time just call it a good try and forget about it?
The first round worked out ok so the competition itself was a success.
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:That isn't practical. When does it end then? When the last finishes? I mean, doesn't make sense.
Let's make it end the 22 then. There is some irony that many of us seem to have met unexpected sources of difficulties just the moment where as BC2 noticed something was happening. Some have had car accidents or rest at hospital. Me, changed for a work at an office offering poor comfort leading to lack of strength for night work. And so on.

But, this is part of the contest. I will for my part fight until the last hour , and we'll see what we've got.

Maybe we should have all of us been less greedy and take profit of your offer of team allowed at first time :D
dafhi

Post by dafhi »

could always postpone. i mean .. another compo with possibility of more interested parties .. couldn't hurt
Lachie Dazdarian

Ok, officially extended to 29th of April.

Final extension. PERIOD!
badidea

Post by badidea »

Can I submit a second game if we postpone further? I have another idea :-)

This weekend I might add or change some things to my previously submitted game. But with the current amount of competition, it is not high on my priority list :-p

Anyway, if my game does result in some prize-money (chances look good at the moment), I wish the money to be sent to a non-profit organization (WNF, FSF, Wikimedia, to be decided). I don't need the money, and the main motivator for the game was/is the competition element for me.

Has anyone tried my game so far? Game download [zip-file, 5MB]
I am especially interested in bugs and possible performance issues on slower hardware.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

badidea wrote:... the main motivator for the game was/is the competition element for me.
Whereas I belong to the small minority who aren't in the least bit competitive. I just do my best and I am happy with that.
Has anyone tried my game so far?
Just tried it. Not sure how to play it? Can you rotate the blocks? I tried the suggested keys but couldn't figure out what to do exactly. Maybe a demo game or more instructions on how to play the game? Tetris was one of the few games I was hooked on, at least for a few weeks before I became bored with it.
badidea

Post by badidea »

BasicCoder2 wrote:Just tried it. Not sure how to play it? Can you rotate the blocks? I tried the suggested keys but couldn't figure out what to do exactly. Maybe a demo game or more instructions on how to play the game? Tetris was one of the few games I was hooked on, at least for a few weeks before I became bored with it.
I'll make some simple 'how to play' screen. You cannot rotate the blocks. You have to deal with them as they come down. But you can break, move and drop them with the 'horse'. But I do realize now that the controls are not very clear.
* To break a block: Walk against block with <left> or <right> + <control> (only control does nothing)
* To push a block: Same + <l_shift> instead (only possibly for 1 block, no blocks behind it)
* To drop floating blocks: <space> (only if a block section is free of other sections, so actions above needed first)
The other controls are more clear I hope.

There is actually code for block rotation. I started with a normal Tetris game.
But I did not see how the 'horse' can do this action in a way that makes sense.
Lachie Dazdarian

badidea wrote:Can I submit a second game if we postpone further? I have another idea :-)

This weekend I might add or change some things to my previously submitted game. But with the current amount of competition, it is not high on my priority list :-p

Anyway, if my game does result in some prize-money (chances look good at the moment), I wish the money to be sent to a non-profit organization (WNF, FSF, Wikimedia, to be decided). I don't need the money, and the main motivator for the game was/is the competition element for me.

Has anyone tried my game so far? Game download [zip-file, 5MB]
I am especially interested in bugs and possible performance issues on slower hardware.

Double entries are not really allowed. I suggest you polish up your current entry?
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

Hi all,

new WIP, here:
https://github.com/trapmania/Fbgenlab/tree/WIP2604/DIR

And yes, before you ask, we still don't play for the moment.

Added some graphics and sounds (stolen to DJ.Peters fbsounds examples). And a new title!