"A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Feb 2019 –Mar 2019) - Round 2

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
badidea

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Feb 2019 –Mar 2019) - Round 2

Post by badidea »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:FBGD forum is back up.
It looks different :-)

Fixed most bugs in my game. I plan to add/try one more feature. The game is bit hard at the moment.
But currently working on some sprite art. Doesn't this horse look amazing?
I really suck at this part, but I'll try anyway.
leopardpm

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Feb 2019 –Mar 2019) - Round 2

Post by leopardpm »

sheer artistic genius! There really isn't anything else I can say about it...
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

badidea wrote:
Lachie Dazdarian wrote:FBGD forum is back up.
It looks different :-)
I like your style guy :)
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

Hello everyone. Only one week left to go. What can I hope for?
badidea

Post by badidea »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Hello everyone. Only one week left to go. What can I hope for?
Me getting stressed :-)

I have 'horses' now that look like camels, cows and cats.
leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

I like cats.... camels not so much....
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Hello everyone. Only one week left to go. What can I hope for?
Hi dear Lachie. Thanks for your effort. With no such insistance and interest I probably would have aborted this. About your question, from my side you can hope for a very last minute release of something that maybe will be playable, maybe not, but at least I kept trying and I'm happy of the concept. I can post the title screen however:
leopardpm wrote:

I like cats.... camels not so much....
Camels are just big cat with round back in case of thirst, to my eyes :)
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

Well, I'm going to try up to the last minute, but I don't think I'll make it ='(
leopardpm

Post by leopardpm »

I haven't written 1 line of code since january 16th, the date of my car accident... don't know why, maybe some version of writers block.... needless to say, don't count on anything from me...
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

leopardpm wrote:I haven't written 1 line of code since january 16th, the date of my car accident... don't know why, maybe some version of writers block.... needless to say, don't count on anything from me...
Very bad luck my friend!
You'll get back to coding in time, just take patience. Some affairs disturb whole pieces of life before things get restored.

Here for me same, I have no electric current at home for an unknown reason today... I'm out with my computer to try do some coding! I will have to write stuff by hand maybe, and get it typed tomorrow... but no light by night, so it's really not very funny. I really hope I will make something anyway, because of the challenge. From my side, everything will depend on tomorrow now.
paul doe wrote:
Well, I'm going to try up to the last minute, but I don't think I'll make it ='(
Can't you switch for a mini game at the last minute? Yes I know this would make little sense, and would be hard regarding the adherence to the theme :(
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

Tourist Trap wrote:...Can't you switch for a mini game at the last minute? Yes I know this would make little sense, and would be hard regarding the adherence to the theme :(
No, it makes all the sense in the world, and I've already considered it. Indeed, you're right: the theme is not something that easily bends, and all the interesting genres (for me) were already taken ;)

I'll continue to develop the game and publish it eventually, I just don't think I can make it to the competition. I had some 'unfortunate' turn of events during development, and that severely hampered my ability to deliver. What can I say? Better luck next time.

However, this little competition gave me the prod I needed to finish the SVG renderer that I was coding ages ago (although it uses Cairo; original one used just FBGFX). Once I get it ironed out, I'll post it here. It's super useful to have, and since the compo would be over, I won't need an edge anymore ;)
dafhi

Post by dafhi »

@paul

I was wondering how you were going to pull off something like an SVG renderer. The pure math of SVG has my head spinning. Cairo would definitely make things a lot easier
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

dafhi wrote:@paul

I was wondering how you were going to pull off something like an SVG renderer. The pure math of SVG has my head spinning. Cairo would definitely make things a lot easier
The really tricky aspect of the ludicrous SVG Recommendation is that you also have to implement some stuff from CSS (like units) and some of the drawing commands (like the elliptical arc -most graphics libraries don't support it, and Cairo is no exception). Cairo makes a lot of things easier, indeed, but you still have a lot of parsing/checking to do, and of course you still have to implement filter effects if you want to render the files correctly.

Nonetheless, I already have it working; I don't need it to be 'conforming', just to render stuff correctly, and to be flexible enough for my purposes. For example, I have an abstraction in place called a 'Canvas', which works like a render target and can be used to render files to a FBGFX buffer, an OpenGL texture, a data structure (such as a Spatial Hash), or can even be used to emit G-Code.
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

Hi all,

I'm still not sure if this will be a game, but I try at least to achieve an interface to a game. Here the menu page.
I have a problem when compiling to 64bits so I'll post the code later today in order for anyone to test it if wanted.