"A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Feb 2019 –Mar 2019) - Round 2

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
badidea

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Feb 2019 –Mar 2019) - Round 2

Post by badidea »

Are you joining the competition dodicat? Or is a 'round 3' needed since you missed the 'round 2' announcement?
dodicat

Re: "A Love Letter To FreeBASIC" Game Dev Competition (Feb 2019 –Mar 2019) - Round 2

Post by dodicat »

Hi badidea
Looks like round 2 will be folk who have been working on a project for a while and just missed the round 1 date.
So, I guess, these will be top quality submissions (as indeed in round 1).
I'll wait till Lachie's new competition is launched and maybe start from there.
Lachie Dazdarian

Post by Lachie Dazdarian »

I will probably extend it for 3 weeks or so. I hope it will work for the active WIPs.

This will be my last competition, closed with a farewell BASIC Gaming e-zine.

I am willing to let go off my FBGD website to anyone willing to take it over and put in the effort, although I don't think the FBGD brand is essential for the future competitions. Only, the URL has its value, IMO, but Plasma owns that.

We'll see.
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:I will probably extend it for 3 weeks or so. I hope it will work for the active WIPs.
Thanks. So I guess we will meet for the deadline the 1st week of April.
Lachie Dazdarian wrote: This will be my last competition, closed with a farewell BASIC Gaming e-zine.
We'll see.
I'll stay on the "we'll see". Never say never :)
Lachie Dazdarian

Round 2 has been officially extended to 8th of April.
badidea

Post by badidea »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Round 2 has been officially extended to 8th of April.
Thanks, some other (work related) project is currently interrupting my progress on the game.
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

Much appreciated. Thanks =D
gothon

Post by gothon »

Thank You! :-)
Lachie Dazdarian

Any progress guys? Trying to repair my FBGD forum, but I need Plasma for that.
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Any progress guys? Trying to repair my FBGD forum, but I need Plasma for that.
Yes, I'm making steady progress, but implementing a SVG rendering backend proved more complex than I initially expected. I was about to inform you that your site is broken, I hope you can repair it soon.

Anyway, a little rant about my progress so far (sorry, nothing new to 'show' yet):
  • Main framework is up and running since the first compo begun. It is, however, in constant development as I go. Some of the features implemented so far: an Actor-Component-System model, cooperative multitasking (implemented as single-thread Processes), concurrent multitasking for fork-join like coding (implemented as Tasks, handled by a thread pooled Task Manager), among other interesting stuff.
  • Game engine, physics and ECS (which I implemented as an Actor-Component-System model) are up and running as expected. If time permits, I'll implement a more complete physics backend (with proper CCD and collision response).
  • Two rendering backends are implemented (SDL2 and FBGFX), with Cairo and OpenGL providing the primary rendering (primitives and shaders). I'll probably just settle with the SDL2 one, though (better support for modern features such as window resizing and high-DPI awareness).
  • Sound system is up and running as expected, using SDL2-mixer as backend. Nothing really fancy here, just the usual stuff.
  • Totally data-driven, either by using XML or your own.
Right now, all development is going to the SVG rendering backend. Once done, we'll be able to use SVG files directly in FreeBasic, rendering them to a standard Fb.Image buffer, which you can then just put to the screen as usual. Unfortunately, you'll need Cairo to be able to render them (it's such a shame that FBGFX is so savagely outdated...). The backend can already render simple SVG files (by simple, I mean just plain colored paths), and I'm working on implementing transform parenting and referencing via the xlink:href attribute (essential if you want to use something like Inkscape to create/edit levels).
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

Lachie Dazdarian wrote:Any progress guys? Trying to repair my FBGD forum, but I need Plasma for that.
Hi Lachie,

as said before, I switched for a simpler project. The previous one went too far in complexity. Now I think I'll be able to show something this sunday evening. At least it's my sincere hope. Not that I want to complain, but those days I have been heavily loaded at work. Not that it is more difficult than usual, not at all, but I've in this job a very long day, so my eyes are totally dead in the evening (since I work at screen). That was really not expected as side effect. I would prefer a more intensive work with less hours, so that I'm able to use my eyes all along the whole day! Ok, anyway I try to invest in my game a big part of the week end time, and I hope as I said it will do :)
paul doe wrote:
Yes, I'm making steady progress, but implementing a SVG rendering backend proved more complex than I initially expected. I was about to inform you that your site is broken, I hope you can repair it soon.

Anyway, a little rant about my progress so far (sorry, nothing new to 'show' yet):
  • Main framework is up and running since the first compo begun. It is, however, in constant development as I go. Some of the features implemented so far: an Actor-Component-System model, cooperative multitasking (implemented as single-thread Processes), concurrent multitasking for fork-join like coding (implemented as Tasks, handled by a thread pooled Task Manager), among other interesting stuff.
I cant wait playing your game Paul Doe, it seems very evolved.
Gothon's project is also very intrigating. As for the others, but those 2 look more intrigating to my eyes for some reason.
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

Tourist Trap wrote:...
I cant wait playing your game Paul Doe, it seems very evolved.
Only from an architectural perspective. From a gaming perspective, there's barely anything to show yet ;)

I'm basing it on one of my favorite pinball games of all time: the Genesis version of Psycho Pinball (I'm pretty sure you can tell that the title screens look conspicuously similar XD). Of course, the table is going to be FreeBasic-themed, and if I have the time to spare, I can include more than one of them under the compo theme (there's no limit to the amount of tables you can have, since they'll end up being just custom SVG files). We'll see.
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

paul doe wrote: I'm basing it on one of my favorite pinball games of all time: the Genesis version of Psycho Pinball (I'm pretty sure you can tell that the title screens look conspicuously similar XD).
I know this game. Theorically I don't like such games with apparently not much to do, but I clearly remember that I could hardly stop playing it. It would deserve a deep analysis of how did the guys manage to make a very perfect entertainment for the time with so few (in appearance at least). A little like shufferpluck, I can't remember the name right now, a game in a bar, quite repetitive but very entertaining (though more complicated than pinball).
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

Tourist Trap wrote:I know this game. Theorically I don't like such games with apparently not much to do, but I clearly remember that I could hardly stop playing it. It would deserve a deep analysis of how did the guys manage to make a very perfect entertainment for the time with so few (in appearance at least).
Oh, but that's the key idea, and why I love games like that: they're simple at first sight, yet surprisingly complex and deep the more you play them. In that sense, you really had to 'discover' games of yore. Contrast that with the crap that kids this generation get constantly feed: games that look hyper-complex on the surface, yet the more you play them, the more shallow and repetitive you realize they are. Pfft.
Tourist Trap wrote:...
A little like shufferpluck, I can't remember the name right now, a game in a bar, quite repetitive but very entertaining (though more complicated than pinball).
The game is called Shufflepuck Cafe. Quite entertaining, indeed: unfair yet still winnable (like many games from that era).

Here's a venezolan youtuber that's living in Argentina now, Dross Rotzank, playing it like a boss:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNdEWmXhSBg
Quite amusing indeed XD

Ps: if you don't know Spanish, you won't be able to understand just how creative with curses Latin people can get XD

How about your entry? Something to show/tell yet?
Tourist Trap

Post by Tourist Trap »

paul doe wrote: How about your entry? Something to show/tell yet?
For the moment I can only show one page when the player is at its home base. You can see that I try to build on my chromosome game project posted a long time ago. What I'm trying to provide is something that can stimulate the curiosity. We'll see where we'll be this sunday :)

paul doe wrote: Here's a venezolan youtuber that's living in Argentina now, Dross Rotzank, playing it like a boss:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNdEWmXhSBg
Quite amusing indeed XD
Thanks for the link!