WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (V3.1.0 June 4, 2023)

User projects written in or related to FreeBASIC.
Tourist Trap

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (Updated January 22, 2019)

Post by Tourist Trap »

PaulSquires wrote: Hi, check the changes.txt

- Changed: You must now hold down the SHIFT key to drag and drop tabs in the top tab control to reorder any open document tabs.

The editor is obviously a work in progress so some things may evolve and change over time.
Thanks, and sorry if I ask rather than search the text files, it's only a matter of time budget.
I have also another question that is a little more difficult, can we import our previous settings to the new version of the editor?
And sorry, it will maybe recall the proposition of deltarho a little, but right now I would find it easier for me to use both the new version and the last one (as we can easily run mutliple instances). The issue then is that I can't change the icon color so that I can recognize who is who on my task bar where I pin up all the good stuff :)
Maybe I could recompile the project, I didn't try. Do you think it would be easy enough for the peasant?

Thanks again for your listening.
PaulSquires

Re: WinFBE Editor and FreeBASIC Compiler (All-in-One Package) (Updated January 22, 2019)

Post by PaulSquires »

Yes, the previous WinFBE.ini configuration file and all project files (if applicable) will work in the latest version of the editor.
bcohio2001

Post by bcohio2001 »

Is there any easy way to load a file without adding it to a project?

Say, have a bit of code in program A that would be useful in program B.

I would like to open up the file to remind myself or copy/paste the bit of code into program B. But when opening it, WinFBE adds the file to the project and have to manually remove it.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

bcohio2001 wrote:Is there any easy way to load a file without adding it to a project?

Say, have a bit of code in program A that would be useful in program B.

I would like to open up the file to remind myself or copy/paste the bit of code into program B. But when opening it, WinFBE adds the file to the project and have to manually remove it.
Unfortunately not, well, not as the logic of the program stands now. If a Project is open then any file that you open will automatically be added to the project. I think that the only alternative at this point would be to have a second instance of WinFBE and open the file there and copy/paste between the two instances.

I understand your problem - just not sure what the best way to accommodate that situation and the general situation of easily adding a file to an open Project.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

@PaulSquires

Paul, WinFBE Version 1.90 has returned to using gcc 4.8.2 in 64 bit again. WinFBE Version 1.87 is using gcc 8.1.0 in 64 bit correctly.

It is worth checking whether gcc 8.2.0 is available for us yet. I get the odd issue with 8.1.0 and revert to FB's default of 5.2.0.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

For some reason, the above was duplicated.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

deltarho[1859] wrote:@PaulSquires

Paul, WinFBE Version 1.90 has returned to using gcc 4.8.2 in 64 bit again. WinFBE Version 1.87 is using gcc 8.1.0 in 64 bit correctly.

It is worth checking whether gcc 8.2.0 is available for us yet. I get the odd issue with 8.1.0 and revert to FB's default of 5.2.0.
Thanks - yes, you are correct. Strange. I don't remember changing anything related to the GCC in 64 bit but I guess I must have at some point. I need to look at the whole distribution now that the new FB 1.06 is released in order to ensure that the include files are still compatible with my files and Jose's WinFBX library code. I will also look into the gcc 8.2.0.
fxm

Post by fxm »

fxm wrote:It would be nice if all IDEs also output the preprocessor texts (for example #print ...) inside the compiler result window (as for the compiler errors/warnings).
For example, it's true for FBIde but not for WinFBE.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

PaulSquires wrote:I need to look at the whole distribution now that the new FB 1.06 is released in order to ensure that the include files are still compatible with my files and Jose's WinFBX library code.
It is never-ending. <smile>

In the meantime I shall drop 8.1.0x64 into 1.90 and see what happens. [1]

Thanks, Paul.

[1] I have crunched a few bas files in the last half an hour and so far so good.

BTW Help>Check for Updates has not come up with anything other than "Failed to retrieve update information". No big deal - just mentioning it.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

fxm wrote:
fxm wrote:It would be nice if all IDEs also output the preprocessor texts (for example #print ...) inside the compiler result window (as for the compiler errors/warnings).
For example, it's true for FBIde but not for WinFBE.
Interesting. I have never used #print before. WinFBE does capture the #print output as it will show in the "Compiler Log File" textbox output. However, I see you point in that it would be better to capture those #print messages and have them display in the "Compiler Results" listview under the "Description" column. That seems like a request that I can code easily enough.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

deltarho[1859] wrote: BTW Help>Check for Updates has not come up with anything other than "Failed to retrieve update information". No big deal - just mentioning it.
A lot will depend on how your internet connection is configured on your computer. The code uses WinHttpRequest calls to connect to the planetsquires server and download a file called "winfbe_version.txt". Connecting to the server does not take into account any proxy server settings, etc. You can find the whole code logic for doing the update check in the "DoCheckForUpdates" function found in the "modRoutines.inc" source file.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

@PaulSquires

I couldn't find "modRoutines.inc" so I used 'FileLocator Pro' and found it in 'WinFBE-1.9.0'. It is not in WinFBE_Suite. I downloaded 'WinFBE-1.9.0' just out of curiosty not long ago and noticed that the 'FreeBASIC-1.06.0' folder was not in there and did not bother to check anything else.

I should imagine that most people, if not all, have been downloading WinFBE_Suite and will not get an update check because "modRoutines.inc" is on github in the 'Source code (zip)'. It looks like "DoCheckForUpdates" was set up for WinFBE_Suite but it didn't actually happen.

Anyway, like I said it is no big deal - you have enough on your plate at the moment.
PaulSquires

Post by PaulSquires »

Yes, the actual source code for the WinFBE editor itself is contained in a separate download for each Release. Now that you mention it, I will see if it is feasible for me to also include the source code int he WinFBE Suite download as well.

The modRoutines.inc source code is compiled into both WinFBE32.exe and WinFBE64.exe executables. The logic is that it will automatically check for an update once per day (silently), or anytime that you explicitly click the menu button to check for an update. I would be interested to here from other users as to whether the feature works (or does not work) for them.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

PaulSquires wrote:The modRoutines.inc source code is compiled into both WinFBE32.exe and WinFBE64.exe executables.
and
I will see if it is feasible for me to also include the source code int he WinFBE Suite download as well.
If the first quote worked as intended then there is no need for the second quote unless you have another reason to do so.

However, I have 'homed in' a little closer. I use WinFBE64.exe and confirm that the manual update check is not working. I looked at WinFBE32.exe and it is working with that so the 'misbehaving' is with WinFBE64.exe.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Wrong!

When I looked at WinFBE32.exe I opened it via its location. I open WinFBE64.exe from an icon on the Start Menu. There shouldn't be a blind bit of difference - famous last words.

So, I sent a shortcut to WinFBE64.exe to the desktop. Opening WinFBE64.exe via that saw the update check working. I then looked at the property sheet of both the icon on the Start Menu and the desktop shortcut. The 'Start in:' textbox of the former was empty whereas of the latter it was populated with WinFBE64.exe's parent folder. I then populated the 'Start in:' textbox of the former and the update check now works.

Checking other icons on the Start Menu saw all of them with an empty 'Start in:' textbox.

I am on Windows 10. So, pinning an application to the Start Menu is the issue.

Windows 10 strikes again!

WinFBE is fine.

<smile>